Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oo and good luck with that big tank u started I was reading your thread the other night when I first joined the forum! I'm leaving work at noon to go change the water and I'm going to bring my ro di unit to the fish store with me so they can show me how to use it correctly, cuz buyin pre mixed from the store is expensive!

Ro/di is the way to go. :) Its quite easy once you get the hang of it. Reminds me, lol, I need to start making water myself!

Ok so I just did a 15 g pwc and I'm goin to let the water settle a little bit then test and see what we have, while I was in there I found this pink mossy looking stuff wondering if it is good or bad for the tank or the LR it's growing on lemme kno what u think

Attachments

• image-3474850995.jpg
    image-3474850995.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 181
Ok so I just didn't my tests and came up with this
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: .025 ppm little higher than b 4 pwc
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm
Spec gravity: 1.025
Salinity just below 34

The nitrate test appears to have dropped slightly from the 160 ppm it was at yesterday but still not enough now what?! Another pwc?

Starting to get some foam out of the protein skimmer not alot but a little is a start right?! Anyone know about that foamy pink looking stuff growing on the live rock on the picture I put up??

If u got nothing in the tank but live sand and rock. Just do a fwc. Start with perfect water. Just a thought.

the growth looks like sponges to me. as your tank matures your nitrate will go down as well, it takes much longer though because of the different environment the bacteria grows in. to give you an idea the nitrogen cycle goes ammonia to nitrite to nitrate to nitrogen gas (this bubbles out of your tank) . Nitrate consuming bacteria does not like to be oxygenated so it lives deep in live rock and sand beds. also algae will consume nitrate as well.

Sponges are ok to have tho? It does look cool. Do you think I should do another water change today ?

Hi Carey today's results are
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0 or just alittle above
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80 or 160 it's hard to tell between the two reds on the test

If you can swing it, yeah, I think that would be a good idea. How are your fish? They acting normal and look ok? Is there anything else living in that tank or just the 2 clowns?

It's just the two clowns they seen lively and I fed them and they ate almost everythin I put in! So that's good I guess, I just got back from the store w 15 more gal of rodi and a bottle of something called stability have you ever used it Carey? I got a small bottle for free with a coupon I'm gunna change the water first and see what that does and depending on any feed back maybe use a little of that

Back
Top Bottom