Water parameters for a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Nice. No ammonia. I would give your fish a break for a day or two then water change. Those nitrates are crazy. lol

Youre using ro/di water right? And you tested the water for nitrates before it goes in the tank? Not every time but have in the past?

I just don't get why the trates don't really go down after a pwc. It's uncanny.

Are you overfeeding or anything? Just trying to ask the right questions so others may help too. :)

I use rodi and yea I've tested it before mixing 3 times, and unless I'm reading the colors wrong but it's a hard test to read and I've had other eyes look at it too to make sure in gettin it right

Ricksreef said:
I wouldn't worry about the worm,it actually does a great cleanup job,and having a few helps your tank,especially new tanks.I have picked them up by hand and it is no big deal.How much rock do you have in your tank,if you don't have at least one and a half,preferably two lbs. Per gallon you are going to have nitrate problems constantly.

I have about 50 lbs in my 46 you think I should go buy some more?? The tanks only been runnin for 9 days

Lowsdime said:
I have about 50 lbs in my 46 you think I should go buy some more?? The tanks only been runnin for 9 days

Yes,you definitely need at least another 50 lbs.Get the base rock since you already have live rock.It will become live quickly.IMO the biggest mistake people make when starting out is not getting enough rock per gallon.I know it is expensive to start with but it is worth it. I have been doing saltwater for seven years now and learned my lesson the hard way when I first started.
Also,research a lot on your own but be careful taking advice from individuals who have only been doing saltwater aquariums for a few months but are so quick to give advice like they are experts.I don't claim to be one but can state what I know from personal experience.

Well I appreiciate your opinion! I've never heard of any one having too much LR! Lol I'm sure I could use a few more pounds I have 50 to 60 around there, on another note I've observed a lot of the brown algae is leaving the rocks exposing the purple coraline which is awesome looking!! So the live rock leeches it's good critters onto the base rock?? Just to clarify??

Yes. You can use base rock and it will become "live" after a few weeks and will look just like the rest of your rock in a few months. :)

If it has only been running for 9 days I would just chill and be patient. It can take weeks to get your tank to cycle. The standard it 1-1.5lbs of live rock for a tank. There is a such thing as having to much live rock because then you lose circulation. I had a lot of rock 100lbs in a 55g I started taking a piece out every week and guess what my nitrates began to drop because I improved my circulation. When I decided to convert my FOWLR over to a reef tank my nitrates were 160ppm and I worked, was patient and took a lot of time to bring them down slow. Did a lot of research asked a lot of questions and found what worked best for my tank and now my nitrates are never above 5ppm knock on wood. Trust your instincts find what fits your tank. I would let it run for a bit and se what it does.

bavass said:
If it has only been running for 9 days I would just chill and be patient. It can take weeks to get your tank to cycle. The standard it 1-1.5lbs of live rock for a tank. There is a such thing as having to much live rock because then you lose circulation. I had a lot of rock 100lbs in a 55g I started taking a piece out every week and guess what my nitrates began to drop because I improved my circulation. When I decided to convert my FOWLR over to a reef tank my nitrates were 160ppm and I worked, was patient and took a lot of time to bring them down slow. Did a lot of research asked a lot of questions and found what worked best for my tank and now my nitrates are never above 5ppm knock on wood. Trust your instincts find what fits your tank. I would let it run for a bit and se what it does.

Hmmm ok I see what ur saying should i maybe try aiming my power head a little better or maybe get another one for the other side of the tank??

Ok so brown algae seems to b leavin but some bright green looks like it's Movin in!! Uh oh any advice?

I wouldn't worry about it just yet. You got bigger issues like getting your tank cycled. :)

Do you have any pictures? that can help the members here identify it.

It's not much but I wanted to ask b4 it got outta control

Attachments

• image-2829818155.jpg
    image-2829818155.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-1898257419.jpg
    image-1898257419.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 122
Probably hair algae, usually comes in big time as the cycle winds down. Will go away as you reduce nitrates, phosphates.

Ok great thanks!
Today's results
Ph 8.3
Am .25
Trite 0
Trate 20-40 I have trouble reading this one
Temp 82! Kinda high
Also the sg has gone up to 1.027
But I think because it's been so warn here there is a little bit of evap,
But I have to do a water change because of the amm right??

Fresh ro this is the first time it's evaporated cuz I've been changing it so often lol

ok, just checking lol

Have you read up on the fish in cycling articles on this site? Just so you know what to expect, I feel bad being the only one who's really giving you advice though I know there are some people reading and not posting. :)

Just want you to know that I'm not just making stuff up. hehe...plus eco's thread about cycling is the best I've seen on the site.

On another note, your nitrates are finally coming down which is good. If you weren't cycling with fish you could just let it run wild. Any chance your LFS will hold your clowns for you while you cycle? Its gonna take awhile probably and that means constant water changes. :-( Just another option maybe, I know it must be hard doing so many changes.

Ok so I did a pwc last night after the horrible day I had my truck broke down on the way to work! But I just tested it tonight and got some encouraging results
Ph 8.3
Am 0
Trite 0
Trate is either 10 or 20 down from 20 or 40
Temp 80
Sg 1.026
I have noticed a lot more of that green hair algae on the glass and LR ugly!!

carey said:
ok, just checking lol

Have you read up on the fish in cycling articles on this site? Just so you know what to expect, I feel bad being the only one who's really giving you advice though I know there are some people reading and not posting. :)

Just want you to know that I'm not just making stuff up. hehe...plus eco's thread about cycling is the best I've seen on the site.

On another note, your nitrates are finally coming down which is good. If you weren't cycling with fish you could just let it run wild. Any chance your LFS will hold your clowns for you while you cycle? Its gonna take awhile probably and that means constant water changes. :-( Just another option maybe, I know it must be hard doing so many changes.

That's a good idea about seeing if they could hold the fish, I guess I could ask next time I'm down there

Back
Top Bottom