water params

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackthunda77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 55 gal with a sump. its got about 70lbs+ of live rock and a dsb. its set up as a semi reef. i just wanted to know what is a safe leve for nitrate, i know that ammonia and nitrite r supposed to be at 0 but i heard that nitrate is almost always goin to be present and is safe to a certain level. the nitrate was at about 20ppm so i was curious to know if thats ok. its been set up for about a year now and everything looks really healthy and corraline is finally strating to take of somewhat. what r your opinions from experiience. also this might mean something. i almost totally tore down the wholle tank last night trying to catch a fish that was niping at my corals. about 85% was removed so the water has been finally starting to clear up since late last night early morn.

20ppm is high, but not deadly. I would expect some algae problems with it that high.

As far as catching a fish in the tank...I know its like closing the gate after the cows get out, but check out my site. Look under educational resources..there are instructions on there on how to make a fish trap for under 2.00. And its very effective. I think its listed as "Coke bottle fish trap" or something simular.

Squishy

thanks, ironic that its in hindsight now but i will use it for future trouble makers.

Back
Top Bottom