water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach119

Aquarium Advice Activist
what do you use for water for your tank for water changes do you use tap water with the dechlorinator or do you use reverse osmosis water?

i use tap water with dechlorinator. I go ahead and put the full dose in for my tank becuase i use a python.

regarding this topic, do all of you put in the full amount of dechlor for the size tank or just the amount that you change. I've just been doing 20%/5 gallons and adding enough dechlor for 10 gallons, but not the full 29 gallons. Is that okay?

if you have the 5gal for the water change in a bucket and add the dechlor to it then you should dose for those 5gal only...but...if you are using the python and you are just filling up the tank with plain tap water then you should add the amount of dechlor to treat the whole tank....right??? :roll:

Hrmmm, well, I've been using the python and only adding enough for about 10 even though it's a 29 gal on 20% water changes. Fish don't seem to mind, but if I'm going wrong, please let me know.

I think just enough dechlor for the change volume is enough.

but I haven't used dechlorinator in months. I use a 30 gal garbage can as a holding tank, and I heat and aerate the water in it. The aeration removes the chlorine. Works great as long as you don't have chloramine in the water, have the room for the holding tank, and have a way of getting the water into the display tank easily. Otherwise its a python and dechlor as the only way to go.

If you do a lot of water changes (couple times a week or more), and you are overdosing the dechlorinator each time, you might see a drop in the pH. I mistakenly overdosed on dechlor for about 4 weeks, with water changes two to four times a week and saw my pH drop.

Is the procedure:
1. Water out
2. Dose dechlor equiv to water taken out
3. Add water

Or 1, 3, then 2?

TomK2 said:
I use a 30 gal garbage can as a holding tank
What do you do to get that water into the tank?
I have an empty 10 gal that I was thinking of using for putting tap water in, dechlorinating and then putting it into the tank when doing a water change.

The best way to do it is take water out, then as the water is being filled in the tank using the python, add it to the water that is coming from the python. This way it mixes it up. I only treat enough for what I am taking out.

I would never add untreated tap water to my aquarium. I treat tap water in 19.9L jugs with the conditioner and leave it sitting on top of a heater vent for a minimum of 48 hours prior to introducing it into the aquarium. It's the safest way to go, in my opinion.

For the record, I have more then one jug 8)

Joe

What do you do to get that water into the tank?
I use a magdrive pump to get water from the holdin tank to the display tank. I have an unfinished utility room behind my tank, so that I cut a hole in the wall and ran vinyl tubing. Since the room was unfinished, I ran plumbing from the tank to the sink with another magdrive pump for water out. Not the typical tank owners situation or set up, but you can check it out at:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0015.htm

effortless water changes in about 10 minutes or less!

Back
Top Bottom