Water talk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question.
Are the 5gallon jugs of water used for coolers etc that you can fill up at a publix (again etc) aquarium friendly? The water, that is. Our tap water is horrendous and I'm wondering if that might be a good alternative. It says that the water goes through a carbon filter, UV light and Reverse osmosis so to me it sounds good, I would like to know for sure.

IvanMike said:
probably, but what's so bad about your tap water?

Uhm, horrible sulfur odor, yellow tinge that I can't get rid of, and tons of micro bubbles/particles.
And I don't really want to base my water on a "probably" :/

okay - get your water tested and the problem fixed - forget the fish - you have serious issues that need to be remedied.

I say probably as in if there's no chlorine, you're probably good. Some plastics leach out stuff toxic to fish, some don't.

If you can't get your house water fixed (but you should for your sake) I would look into RO or distillation first as it will be more cost effective in the long run (and you could drink it)

I have well water an the same problems, so I didn't think for a second I was gonna fill my aquarium with that so I just bought gallon jugs of the shelf and it worked perfectly

Thank you both very much. This water I'm talking about is reverse osmosis (RO) and Uv lighted. And only 1.50 for 5 gallons, so I'm likely going with that.
I'm having someone come over to take a look at our water this Monday, see what he says, I'll letcha know.

At $1.50 per 5 gallons, that would cost me more than $30 per week. Are you insane? Get a water filter with appropriate cartridges.

Right now I've just got a standard filter package for my 29gallon. But I've also added into the filter a bag of ammo-carb. Rids of ammonia, and it's activated carbon for the smell and colour. It's gotten rid of the ammonia for the most part and the smell. Colour remains.
And as for the particles, I'm at a loss.

Update*
Our water softener settings were wrong, I'm not sure if I was told the truth, but I guess I'll have to see for myself.
I'm thinking about changing my filter, I'm using the Aqueon quietflow 20 for my 29 gallon, it says it goes for up to 30.
Thinking of changing to a penguin 150. I've had a biowheel before and it did a great job. Just not sure if I want to spend that 35$ just yet if it doesn't really matter.

BillD said:
At $1.50 per 5 gallons, that would cost me more than $30 per week. Are you insane? Get a water filter with appropriate cartridges.

Uhm, I'm not insane, your talking about you. To fill my tank and have a gallon extra would cost 9$
I'd spent 1.50$ every two weeks on it.

Wrong forum, General Freshwater would be better, and this thread is funny. You don't want to use pure RO/DI water without adding something back to the water.

So there's no confusion I wasn't calling him insane.. Just that he spends 30$ a week when I would spend less than a dollar pretty much.
And your right of course, I would add prime to it, would there be anything else needed though?

roundar said:
Wrong forum, General Freshwater would be better, and this thread is funny. You don't want to use pure RO/DI water without adding something back to the water.

If I could change forums I would, or if I knew how.

Update*
Our water softener settings were wrong, I'm not sure if I was told the truth, but I guess I'll have to see for myself.
I'm thinking about changing my filter, I'm using the Aqueon quietflow 20 for my 29 gallon, it says it goes for up to 30.
Thinking of changing to a penguin 150. I've had a biowheel before and it did a great job. Just not sure if I want to spend that 35$ just yet if it doesn't really matter.

Love my bio wheel. and I always get a step larger filter than the size of the tank!

Back
Top Bottom