Water top off sump question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopa_34

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it normal to be topping off water in a sump everyday to a day in a half?

Yes. Depends on how big your tank and sump are. I go through about 40 gallons every 3 weeks. Might be a little less now that I switched to LEDs from MH lights.

I go thru a gallon or so every 24 hours with mine.

I am doing a "constant water change" or "automatic water change" system to my new 210g I am building(got the stand framework done finally) but the auto water change seems to be the best way, it refills the tank on its own and changes roughly 50% every week. 58% on my tank to be exact.

If i had to fill my tank up 4G each day.. i would kill myself.

I was going on a trip and had to figure out a way to not run out of water as I go through 5-7 gallons a week. Got up at 2am one morning and Said " Get a bigger container for my refill water". Solved that problem. ATO is the only way to go.
img_1094298_0_e3ce73eb3109d5ca6843dd8a577f276d.jpg

Yep thats an auto top off, an auto water changer is the exact same thing with 1 hole punched in the side of the sump at the max level in the sump, this is a drain and is plumbed to a hole in the basement floor for drainage of liquid on the cement.

here is a link to info on a auto water changer
Automatic Water Changer

JBJ ATO is the one I have. I had the same issue when I was going out of the country for a month. I had friend stop in to feed, but top off was too much to ask for. I got a 45 gallon BRUTE container that I fill about every 3 weeks.

When I had a FW tank (years ago) there was a product called the Merdian (sp?) Water Changer. It had two hoses that were connected. One hooked to the faucet, the other was the drain. At the tank, it had a spring loaded attachment clip. The drain line had a screen around it. The fresh water line created a jet stream of aerated water back into the tank. Forcing that much air into the water removed the chlorine. The hose ran about 3 gallons per hour into the tank. I would hook it up for an hour two every week and had a 10 - 20% weekly water change while I watched TV.
I no longer see that product on the market probably due to the increased use of chloramine.

Sounded like a great product...Ahhhh the good old days. ;)

Back
Top Bottom