Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
You need good pressure for RO to work properly and efficiently. If you have pressure over 40lbs then an ro should work ok at your sink . I used garden hose connection for mine originally.
I would not buy any ro unit that did not take 10" standard filter cartridges .
Units that need special filter cartridges make up their cost over the long run with you many times . They will be more expensive and possibly hard to find.. Although I have a BRS unit I can use any 10" filter cartridge I want like GE...
Low pressure will reduce the units effectiveness and slow its production.
My 75GPD unit only made maybe 32 a day with 35 lbs. It also wasted more water for all that time.

About the flushing I would just run water for 10 minutes or a 1/2 hour .
If you had a filter of any kind and used it during flushing you would just be burning it up. They say filters last X gallons aprox. but that is based on x sediments... Water with more stuff in it will use up filters faster.. It is just how it works .
The ro would remove a great amount of stuff you don't want but does have a running cost not just a purchase cost.

Thanks Coral, I had a r/o unit years ago and I remember buying the filters. It was just for drinking water it was an old old old house with a 10 foot well, orange water, rotten egg smell and low water pressure, it took forever to get a glass of water. My ex was a construction genius/jack of most trades so he did all the plumbing with the r/o unit. The water pressure here is very high. Stick with standard 10" filters, check! I will be shopping around.

With good pressure you may do better from your sink then many who have their unit plumbed in....
Another STRONG factor in ro efficiency is the water temp.Few know under 70 will effect the performance also. I have a 'mixing station' for my hoses that I can adjust to exact[ it is a hot and cold faucet hooked up to filters and hoses ] . I plumbed the RO in after the mix so no matter what it gets 76degree water.It has helped my life in compare to pulling in 52 degree water from my cold water main like I did for years .
You can adjust your sink....(y)

Interesting to know the water temp needs to be higher, thanks again for the tips. I'll need a brute on wheels as well. I made a roller out of some scrap wood for my current water storage containers they are only 10 gallons each. You should see how white they are from the hard water! I think the cost of a good R/O will offset me having to replace filters, heaters and tubing due to massive calcium build up.

RO unit shopping today! Just getting an idea of what's out there. Also checking a couple of fish stores I have never been to it's a bit of a drive but might be worth it.

Yesterday I went to my local mom & pop that I have been very happy with and left really upset. I was happy to see their bettas were removed from bowls to a partitioned tank, however as I was watching I noticed 2 sets of males in the same partition. The dominant males were beating up the other ones with them. Poor things were being submissive but had no where to go and looked close to death. I told TWO employees and they said they would take care of it. I waited half an hour watching these poor fish...no one cared. I doubt they lived. Talk about feeling helpless. :(

RO unit shopping today! Just getting an idea of what's out there. Also checking a couple of fish stores I have never been to it's a bit of a drive but might be worth it.

Yesterday I went to my local mom & pop that I have been very happy with and left really upset. I was happy to see their bettas were removed from bowls to a partitioned tank, however as I was watching I noticed 2 sets of males in the same partition. The dominant males were beating up the other ones with them. Poor things were being submissive but had no where to go and looked close to death. I told TWO employees and they said they would take care of it. I waited half an hour watching these poor fish...no one cared. I doubt they lived. Talk about feeling helpless. :(
I should start a whole new topic about this so everyone would know this. I have a friend that was hired to bag fish at a pet place called Monster Fish. He was hired not knowing the difference from one fish to another. He knows nothing about water perameters, fish diseases, temperature requirements, or anything else about aquarium keeping at all. Yet he was hired by the store. That makes me extremely untrusting about any employee in any pet shop. I get any unknown data that I need online before going to a pet or fish shop. Then all I want to know is where certain things are in the shop. I have the opinion that most employees in these places have little or no knowledge of what they're doing, nor care about the conditions of the fish they sell.

Back
Top Bottom