Waukee, IA - 600gal (96x48x30)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asnatlas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I have a 600gal (92x48x30high) tank that was once setup as a saltwater tank... Once I get moved and settled I wanted to set it backup as a freshwater, but I am not sure what yet… I was thinking about a community tank with the following not limited to:

Angel Fish
Tetra’s (school)
Gourami
Clown Loach
Guppies
Plecostomus (Bristle)
Otocinclus Catfish
Longfin Zebra Danio (School)
Killie
Cory (Corydoras) Catfish

Was kinda thinking about doing a Cichlid tank as well, but not sure…

I am looking for any suggestions

I was thinking about having “easy” plants, I do have a CO2 setup but would like to keep tank maintenance as easy as I can…

600 gallons? WOW.. I'd look into some monster fish... LOL.. but that's just me.

What are the types and amount of lights that you plan on running?

How about filtration?

When it was setup as SW, I used T5s and 4x 250w MH over the tank, I was thinking about using just the MHs, but may play with the T5s as well... It depends on what goes into it and what I need I guess...

I have two Fluval FX5 Canister Filters that I was going to use... Before I has a sump and a fuge with alot of live rock and a hugh skimmer attached... I want to try to simplify the tank this time around vs when I had it setup as a SW tank...

Nice sized tank <drool>
A very large school of Angels (maybe 30 of them) would be awsome in there. Also several large schooles of Tetra's (not neons, but maybe Rummynose, Silver Tip, and Blue Tetras - 20-40 of each). To that add the Plecos (larger more interesting ones)and Cory's (maybe 25 of the same species on Cories). Combined with some South American plants and driftwood it could be a specacular biotope tank.
Large schools of just a few species could create an overall more pleasing effect than many different types of fish.

IMO, nix the guppies. Unless you just want them as feeders for the Angels.

Nice sized tank <drool>
A very large school of Angels (maybe 30 of them) would be awsome in there. Also several large schooles of Tetra's (not neons, but maybe Rummynose, Silver Tip, and Blue Tetras - 20-40 of each). To that add the Plecos (larger more interesting ones)and Cory's (maybe 25 of the same species on Cories). Combined with some South American plants and driftwood it could be a specacular biotope tank.
Large schools of just a few species could create an overall more pleasing effect than many different types of fish.

IMO, nix the guppies. Unless you just want them as feeders for the Angels.

WHOA, 30 Angels ?? LOL I was not thinking quite that many...

I would love to make a biotope tank that is "different" and low maint...

The Guppies were listed as feeders for the Angels...

I would love to do something like Takashi Amano Big Tank
http://photos.mongabay.com/en/349Takashi.htm

Wow that is a huge tank. The possibilities are endless. You could easily go with your community tank, but my vote is for an african cichlid tank. You could have a very impressive array of cichlids in there. Do you have any pics from when it was SW?

Last edited:
I would vote for either African cichlids or discus. I usually buy my fish at a great pet store in West Des Moines.

Back
Top Bottom