Ways to inteoduce coralline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am looking for ways to introduce corraline algae in my tank. I do not thing that my live rock has any. Would the margarita snails that are encrusted with coralline algae work? I can't post pics on this thread for some reason but I am going to post pics on my page of my live rock.

Get a rock that has it growing already and put it in the tank. I took mine a would scratch a patch off into the tank every week or so and slowly the spots around it started spreading.

Get a rock that has it growing already and put it in the tank. I took mine a would scratch a patch off into the tank every week or so and slowly the spots around it started spreading.

Thanks for the info. I am going to petco tomorrow.

My petco has coraline sheets too. It's a piece of acrylic with coraline growing on it and you just scrape it off. Petco here has live rock filled with aptaisia. I wouldn't introduce that to your tank.

My petco has coraline sheets too. It's a piece of acrylic with coraline growing on it and you just scrape it off. Petco here has live rock filled with aptaisia. I wouldn't introduce that to your tank.

Alright I will ask if they have any sheets... So you think the coralline encrusted margarita snails will work?

As long aas there is coralline in the tank it will spread. Of course the more you have the faster it will go but yes, even the purple snails can spread it. :)

As long aas there is coralline in the tank it will spread. Of course the more you have the faster it will go but yes, even the purple snails can spread it. :)

How many for a 20 gallon... 5?

I don't know but I have two tanks (that were transfered within the last to months from smaller tanks) and I have coraline growing all over the place already. red, green and purple.

Ive heard that brushing it with a tooth brush or something similar will help to spread the spores. Dunno if its true, but it makes sense.

I wouldn't worry about it.. its sign of a healthy tank but it can shorten the life of your powerheads and I have to occasionally scrap off my thermometer probe.

I can send you some if you're close enough. I have an urchin in my tank that eats it so it doesn't take over.

Attachments

• image-176080070.jpg
    image-176080070.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 91
check your water levels as long a the ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates are lower than 20ppm...I have noticed coralline will grow better when calcium levels are a little high about 480 to 500 that's with good lighting...do you have these test kits and what type of lighting do you have?

check your water levels as long a the ammonia is 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates are lower than 20ppm...I have noticed coralline will grow better when calcium levels are a little high about 480 to 500 that's with good lighting...do you have these test kits and what type of lighting do you have?

Not got a test kit yet. Will be getting one soon. It seems like I am going in petco like twice a week now. My petco is like 45 minuets away!

When I went to petco yesterday, they didn't have at coralline algae encrusted snails that were alive. So she gave me an empty shell with some on it. And thanks to another member on here I am getting some coralline algae.

Back
Top Bottom