Wee, my first tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petitemonk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Hey! I got my first fish tank today... I decided to go for the 30 gallon tank instead of the 20. I got a 30 gallon tank, a Marineland Millennium filter, a heater, thermomotor, 2 10 pound bags of sand, some amquel + and Stress Zyme... (not sure what those do but i read the directions lol) and I also got a light kit, the total price was like 160 bucks.

But I have a quick question... Its totaly retarded but Iam wondering if all the little tiny bubles that are stuck to the side of my tank are going to go away. lol They seem to not be moving any where. welp ne ways yay for the tank. lol.

Congrats on your first tank! Yes, those bubbles will go away..I thought the same thing too! You should also look into getting an airstone and air pump also. Some fish love rolling around in the bubbles! What do you plan on putting in the tank?

Air pump? sounds cool... Is that the thing that like bubbles up air? makes like bubbles... cause that would rock... and Iam not sure what I should put into the tank. I guess I have a while to figure it out while it cycles, I want to have a good community goin. Iam going nuts buying all these decorations and special lighting lol. Hope it will all jive when I get it working.

I am like totally new to the aquarium thing but I wanna get as much of a playfull fish type as I can lol. Do you have any ideas?

Go to the fish and plant profile forum. There is a thread with links to fish profiles. You can read up on fish while you do a fishless cycle.

zebra danios are pretty hyper active and pretty hardy so they are good first fish to get your tank going with. I like them because they make the rest of my tank mates feel safe to come out and keeps everyone comfortable. corys are awesome as well when in a school. both of these fish like currents and when I first got my zebra danios, I was afraid they were trying to pull a "nemo" with my filter for the first day. Thankfully they were just playing in the current. Have fun with your new tank!!!

Congrats on your first tank, and for being willing to wait through a fishless cycle, that's great. I agree about the zebra danios being good first fish, and they like to be in groups. You made a good choice by getting a 30 gal. The bigger it is, the easier to keep your water parameters stable. A lot of people love cory cats. I've never had them but I'll be getting some soon.

Just do a lot of reading and post back with the fish you're thinking about. Plenty of people will come along to advise you about them.

Good luck. :D

petitemonk said:
---stuff cut!---
I am like totally new to the aquarium thing but I wanna get as much of a playfull fish type as I can lol. Do you have any ideas?
If you want playful try an oscar - they are very friendly with humans and eat anything. They are easy enough to keep given you have the time.

ploughking said:
petitemonk said:
---stuff cut!---
If you want playful try an oscar - they are very friendly with humans and eat anything. They are easy enough to keep given you have the time.

Uhm... Watch out... Oscars get really large, so I wouldn't recommend it for a 30gal, unless he will be the only fish you will have living there.

A semi-agressive community is always fun to watch. I have 10 tiger barbs living with 1 redtail shark and 4 otos (well, the otos aren't agressive but they do a good job cleaning the tank) in my 25 gal and they are always going around after each other.
Since they are all fast-swimming fish, they can't really catch each other to do any damage.

Tiger barbs are schooling fish, so a group of 8 at least is recomended to keep each other company... Plus, that way they are so busy watching their behind that they don't have time to pick on other fish.

The redtail shark is also semi-agressive, but not really friendly towards fish of the same kind (i.e. fish named "sharks" in general), so keeping only one keeps everyone happy...

Back
Top Bottom