Weird bubble algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pjones0221

Aquarium Advice Activist
Found this weird bubble algae on my love rock and powerhead. What is it? Do I need to control it? How can I control it? Is it bad?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422069877.723298.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422069888.025254.jpg

Secondly the rock with my zoas on it is covered in a red hair algae. Do I need to get rid of it? Move the zoas?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422070050.774931.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422070061.375357.jpg

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure about the red algae, but the bubble is from it growing in sheets and the layers underneath keep photosynthesizing I believe.

I doubt it is its own strain of algae- it happens in my freshwater tank near the surface and in my uncles reef.

Should I remove it? Are there fish that'll take care of it?

do not pop it as it will spread the spoors
you could remove it when you do water change peel off a section and siphon it out
my lawn mower munches on it but that's not a sure thing ,
emerald crabs eat it too but they tend to pop bubbles and it spreads
manual removal is best
big water changes more often will help with red hair lighten up feeding and shorten light cycle

Looks like cyano bacteria

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Agreed. I see cyanobacteria. It's from excessive nutrients. Overfeeding plus, light and low flow. I would do some water changes vacuuming out what i can with each change and cut back on feeding.

Weird how it's getting low flow on a power head tho or is it switched off? You would think the water getting pulled thru it would be enough to keep it away

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That particular powerhead has a six hour timer, I switch between the two big ones in that routine. Flow is really a struggle lol

So I would have all 6 powerheads at once? That seems a bit excessive, will blow my said all over the place and my softies

Then you need to figure out what will be working best in the tank. There is still no need to turn them off. Maybe you will need to take one out, who knows, but as it stands you have cyano which tells you about nutrients AND low flow in those areas. If there is low flow, turning off powerheads on purpose seems counter productive.

Back
Top Bottom