Weird Plecostomus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a Plecostomus a few weeks ago, it's a small one ( I know, it will grow). I noticed a few days after I bought it, it was laying on it's side at the bottom of the tank and I thought it was dead, but I noticed it was still breathing. So I tapped on the glass and it got up and sucked up to the side of the tank and started acting normal. I went ahead and checked all of my parameters (just to be safe) and they were fine, where they should be. This pleco has done this at least 3 more times since then. Is there a reason why it does this, or does he need a "fish shrink" or is he just a pleco that likes to play possum? I have never had a pleco that has ever done wierd things like this...any insight as to why it is doing this??? Thanks.

Last time mine did that he was dying and not sure why

I thought mine was dying, but if it is, it's taking over 2 weeks for it to do so. Each time I see it laying on it's side or back, it's breathing normally and I tap on the glass and it gets up and sucks up to the glass...I don't know what's up with it....I think I just got the "special" one....

Well if its been that long since he been doing it then i think he will be fine . when i seen mine on his back few hours later he was dead

What size is the tank and what are the parameters exactly?

If you are using test strips, they are not always accurate. I lost a tank of fish before due to faulty result.

Does he have any wood in the tank, they really need it for digestion if I remember correctly. Maybe that will help him, it wouldn't hurt.

Sounds like lack of roughage or a swim bladder issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the water is too hot. Keep in mind plecos are stream fish and that water is typically cooler

What kind of Pleco? If it's a rubber lip, they can starve because they may be wild caught? Anyway they can. Watch and see if it's eating.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for food, I have never seen a Pleco of any variety that would pass up a Hikari Sinking Wafers Omnivore Catfish Loaches & bottom feeders. (has an or orange-ish color trim on the pack). They'll pretty much scoot up to it immediately start right in eating.

Maybe post a pic of it and we can figure out what kind, or if you have your receipt it might list the name or even go and check back at the fish store and see what they are calling them.

Sorry for not responding, I've been sick the past couple days. The plecostomus finally did die. I'm taking it back to the fish store that I got it from. The other one I had (purchased as the same time) is doing fine.

I have a 55 gal tank. Ph is 7.4 ammonia is 0 Nitrate and Nitrite are both at 0. Not using strips. Using the API test kit for all 4 of those. Water temp is around 75.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't think you ever answered the driftwood question, so I would make sure you have some in there as it is a necessity.

Yes. Some articles say it is preferred. But in the majority of info I have read, MOST Plecos, (there are a great number of types of them,) need to have wood to rasp/chew on to be in the best health. Edit to say, commonly available.

Last edited:
I just saw a bag of smaller Mopani wood pieces (3 I think it was) at Petsmart for 6.99 or 8.99 can't remember which. It was in the reptile section hanging up in a bag.

The others were around 12.99 for a medium piece (small was about 9.99 but there weren't any at the store I was at.) I got a larger one from Petco recently and it was labeled medium but about 3" thick and ~10" x 12" and was 10.99 I think, in the reptile area. It was from ZooMed labeled for aquarium and terrarium use.

Back
Top Bottom