Weird SW question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a tank in my living room that has been set up for 4 years. I really need to clean my carpets and am renting a cleaner this weekend. I thought I had seen where someone said not to clean carpets with a cleaner as the chemicals will get in the tank? Is this true? Its not like its being sprayed into the air. Its sprayed into the carpet and then sucked right back up.Any suggestions or cautionary measres I should take?

I have no experience in carpet cleaning, but I wouldn't think that their would be a problem with chemicals getting in the air. I've cleaned my own carpets before, with my 29 gallon in the room and have never had a problem. I would wait for other to chime in just in case though.

Same with anything that you can physical smell through the air. Some of it does get airborne. There has even been studies done on the effects of cigarette smoke and water quality! With your case though, I'd play it safe and simply throw a cheap plastic drop cloth over it. They only cost less than $2 at walmart and that way you can be sure. Either that, or just make sure you run some fresh activated carbon in the filter.

I wouldn't worry about anything though, no.

I do agree that there should not be any airborne chemicals present, but as precaution you can go to any hardware store and purchase plastic covers (tarps) and drape them over the aquarium and sump (if applicable).

COOL! Thanks all for the feedback. I already have a drop cloth ready and will do just that! I was concerned I would have not forego cleaning the room my 100 gallon is in..and it needs it badly!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom