Weitzmani Tetras (Black morpho tetras) hiding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I currently have an 8 gallon biocube which is heavily planted and my list of species are crystal red shrimp, amano shrimp, weitzmani tetras, boraras merah and scarlet badis. Tank has been set up for 3 weeks. Temperature is at 76-78 F and I have no ammonia, no nitrite and 10-15 ppm nitrate. Problem is, I got 5 Weitzmani tetras 4 days back and they are always hiding at the back of the tank. I've read that the Weitzmanis and rasboras need a pH of 6 to thrive but the rasboras seem to be ok with 7. Is the pH too high for the Weitzmanis or would they show themselves soon? Thanks in advance.:(

They are problly still a little freaked out and still getting use to the change/move. I moved around 10 mollies from a 20 long in my house to a 55 gallon and they hide in the drift wood and caves for almost a week and a half until they started actually swimming around. Just wait a week or two and if you still have some problems it just might be the other fish or the pH.

A stable pH is better than trying to adjust your pH. 99% of fish will be fine with the pH of your tapwater, as long as you acclimated correctly. Tetras (in their natural environment) live in slightly acidic water - pH of 5.8 or 6 or so - but if the tetras you bought were tank raised, then having the pH of their natural environment isn't that important.

I do agree that the fish are hiding because they are new to your tank. It's a new environment for them so give them some time to become accustomed to the tank. Your tank is nicely planted so they should feel at ease soon and swim around more freely.

Thanks guys!! I'll give the Weitzmanis some time and hope they acclimatize soon!!

Good job on finding weitzmani tetras. They're not usually available. Sometimes they come in as bycatch with cardinal tetras. They are a very reclusive fish by nature - it's not the pH. I had about five of them once, and basically never saw them unless I looked carefully. They did just what you described - hid at the back. They'll probably loosen up a bit once they settle in, but they'll never be an active, front-and-centre type of fish.

Incidentally, you'll want to give them live (as in moving) food if you aren't already. I found it hard to get them to take anything else.

Thanks tetroid, now I'm not as worried anymore seeing that they are shy. **** it's like not having any tetras at all since I NEVER see them =(

Back
Top Bottom