Well hard fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Smell

Aquarium Advice Freak
I now own a Midas cichlid, and have yet to see it 'in action' but Its probably the first fish I've bought with a 'hyper aggressive' reputation. I won't collect it till I've sorted it's tank out, but it got me thinking about what people on here would view as the 'hardest' cichlid they have owned, both pound for pound and outright.

I think outright, mine at the moment would be my Oscar, but that's because it's quite a bit bigger than anything else at over 9". It's not really all that aggressive.

Pound for pound is a much more interesting one for me because I've owned quite a few small but aggressive cichlids. I think the Panamensis I currently own might take the prize though, at around 2.5 inches it takes on all comers and as I write this is leaving a slightly larger Texas cichlid cowering in the corner and going head on with a Salvini half again its size. Fortunately no real harm is ever done because it doesn't take long for one fish to back off ! They'll all have a lot more room soon which will calm things down a lot also.
It would be close for second between a Rivulatus I used to have and my current male Sajica which in the past both could have outright killed a few new cichlids I added but I intervened quickly to prevent it. My male con is also tough and has the better of my current Rivulatus which is a little bigger than him.

I've owned and in most cases still own; Texas (both sorts), JD (and EBJD), Salvini, Oscar, Jewels, Firemouths, many Cryptoheros, Rivulatus, Blue Acara to name but a few....

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A couple things I can tell you.
1 I recommend an un breakable heater
2 no fake plants that use large hunks of metal to anchor them
My daughters hybrid has grabbed the heater from the bottom and ripped it off the glass.
he also rips the fake plants out and swims around with them.
I leave them floating now. Its funny to watch him just flip out and attack things in the tank. When he was first moved here there was a plant with the metal base and he slammed it against the tank hard enough that I thought the tank was going to break.

Oh joy :)

Sounds like a challenge!

Its a blast! I hope yours is more like most than mine was. I had one that would hide all the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The one I had
attachment.php

This ones a lot bigger, and was trying to stare me out most of the time. It had a few visible teeth as well, I can't see it being too shy. The 9" one looked like it wanted to eat me, and I think it had the potential to literally smash the tank up. The one with the busted dorsal looked a bit scared.

I think it might end up overtaking my Rivulatus as my favourite.

I have a grown male red jewel. He is very aggressive for his size!! Also my flower horn is still very young and only about six inches long but he routinely looks like he wants to kill me! Water changes and any maintenance are at your own risk! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416724334.620259.jpg

Back
Top Bottom