Well I splurged!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I did some water changes to my 55gal the past few weeks and all levels are excellent my corals are doing great. I just added 2 skunk Clowns, 2 Nemo clowns, 3 green chromis, Dwarf lionfish and a goby. All are doing fine. Just one question I have been using frozen plankton and Cyclopeeze as food and also frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, frozen herbs. Is there any other food I should add for my new inhabitants? I always had a reef and had more live rock, corals, and 2 fish so I decided it was time a year later since I bought the last fish to add some new friends.

The only things that I see that you need to be careful about is 1) I dont think 4 clowns in a 55 will get along. I have two in my 125 and they fight all the time. Keep a close eye out. You might have to return two of them if things get out of hand. 2) Keep a close eye on your water params. That`s a large bio load that you just threw in there at one time. You`ll probably need some frequent PWC till your system catches up.

yea man, thats going to be quite the rodeo in there.
Thats more fish than I have in a 110. Can you post a pic of this?

those skunks are nice.
good luck with it, I'm too parinoid to have all those fish.
Maybe when the damsiles buy the farm.

I agree about the clowns. A 55 is a bit tight to have two different spices in it. Keep a very close eye on water parameters for the next couple of weeks. You added a lot of fish at one time and it could pose a problem down the road. Good luck.

Heh.. Be interesting to see if that lion doesn't um... "adjust" your fish population for ya! Those guys are messy eaters, and even the dwarfs can cause a heck of a sting. I love the looks of them but with my little one, no way! Good luck with all those!

Thanks. So far they are all doing good. I changed the water yesterday the 2nd day I had them and plan on changing 10% for the next 2 weeks. I can't believe how a 55gal. cannot have 2 types of clowns. The lionfish is doing fine. Nobody is chasing anyone yet. I added some Garlic and vitamins to their food to keep everyone healthy.

take a full tank shot and post if you don't mind.
Just curious to see how it looks with the fish in there.

I can't believe how a 55gal. cannot have 2 types of clowns.
Well I have a 525gal with 2 types and the cinnamons still get moody on occasion. I can def see a problem in a 55. Make sure you test water parameter regularly. You put a heavy load on that tank fast. 8O

What type of filtration do you have? DSB, rock, etc? Big skimmer, fuge and a big ol' sump? I wonder about the nitrates with that load and the corals. What kind of corals do you have? This will be an interesting thread to follow.

I have a Wet/Dry filter 12gal sump, Mag7 return pump, Reef Devil compact rotein skimmer DSB, live rock, No Nitrates, water change 10% daily since the bio load so the water has been changed the past 4 days 50% the day before the addition and 10% each day after. Colt coral, leather, 2 clams, bubble anenome, Sabae anenome, various zoos, frog spawn, mushrooms, open brain, star polyps, spaghetti anenome http://flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ I also feed the garlic guard and vitamins in food, add Bionic and iodine, All levels alk, Ca, PH, Nitrates all good so far no deaths

To update everyone. I have been doing the water changes and no nitrates I have had a green chromis pass away and also thedwarf lion who wasn't eating when purchased and I fed him prawn, live shrimp used garlic guard and still didn't eat. I was wondering with my pair of skunks, perculas, chromis would it be ok to add a pair of black/white clowns? Thanks

I would not add anymore fish if I were you. I believe you lucked out with the 4 existing clowns in a 55g, but if you add anymore, there'll be trouble IMO. If your skunks are anything like mine, they'll feel their oats more and more everyday and become more agressive as time goes on - especially with new clowns if you add them IMO.

I know it's hard to hold back on more fish, but I think you should now.

Yeah man you need to cool down on your fish. The 2 pair of clowns may be ok now because they look like they are juveniles. Be careful once they get a little older they get more aggressive. I couldnt keep a single perc and a fire in my 55 without them fighting. I personally think you have to many fish in their to begin with, let alone adding 2 more clowns. I wouldnt add any more fish period. You have a reef tank, I think you would like to keep your bioload at a minimum, I dont wanna see you lose your coral. I would just keep up with your PWC's and stick with what you have and ride it out. If you want 2 black clowns start up another tank. I always see fish I want but I know my tank cant handle them so I just start new tanks. Hey good luck and keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom