Well, my barbs are gone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joker741

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 9 tiger barbs went on a killing spree. The last straw was when they killed one of my dwarf gouramis. The destroyed his fins and even took chunks out of his head. I found him alive but barely, put him in the qt where he lasted about 2 hours and died. I know it was them because they were going after the other gourami. So, I got out a 5 gallon bucket, put in a heater and an air stone, texted a friend and I am on the way out the door to take them to him. I went from 32 fish to 18, 9 are the barbs.

My tank looks bare now. I am looking for suggestions for a 2-3" mid dwelling fish. This is what I have left in the tank.

3 Gold White Cloud Mountain Fish
3 Black Neon Tetra
3 Rummy Nose Tetra
1 Dwarf Gourami
4 Pristella Tetra
1 Black Skirt Tetra
1 Panda Cory
1 Bolivian Ram
1 German Gold Ram

I am already planning on adding:

6 Panda Cory
6 Rummy Nose Tetra
6 Gold White Cloud Mountain Fish
1 German Blur Ram
1 Electric Blue Ram
1 Rhinogobius Yaoshanensis

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the dwarf. My daughter has a fire? dwarf in her 10G and she is absolutely in love with it. Unfortunately, that is the same experience that I have had with tiger barbs. They are just plain mean! The new plans sound good. I love the panda corys.

That really stinks man. Barbs can be a real pain. I made a semi aggressive tank once and i had to replace 4 out of the 6 barbs because they were being over aggressive and trying to kill fish. The specific ones almost where egging on the group to attack other fish. May i suggest a rainbow of some kind. I think they are pretty. :)

Colombian or diamond tetras would be nice. There are some pics of ours in our 120 gallon thread in FW tanks showcase forum. :)

Bummer man. What about some big bodied rainbows?

Well, my barbs are in thier new tank and doing well. Now it is time for me to find thier replacement.

Not a betta fan.

I am still looking. 3", mid dwelling, and peaceful, I am finding little tough to find something I like.

Sorry to hear about the barbs. Great looking fish, too bad they have such nippy 'tudes.

How about giant danios, or any of the rainbow species. I think someone suggested some rainbows on here. But there are all kinds like the featherfins or forktails that a bit different from the norm. I never got my featherfins for my b-day, but I did get more forktails and they really are a beautiful fish. They get about 2 inches. The males get an awesome gold color on their bellies as they get into spawning mode. Just a thought. They should be compatible with what you have already. Or, just more of the blue rams :)

I bought a German Blue Ram and he is in QT.

I think that I am going to add the following:

10 Rummy Nose Tetra
6 Panda Cory
6 Gold White Cloud Mountain Fish
6 Pristella Tetra
6 Black Neon Tetra
1 Electric Blue Ram
1 Rhinogobius Yaoshanensis

That will finish my schools and have some nice movement in the tank.

That list should work. The only thing I'd worry about is the temp preferences for the WCMMs compared to the others.

Wow, I have 7 tiger barbs in my 55 gallon and they never bother anyone, not even each other. They are in with 1 angelfish, 3 pearl gourami, a large school of neons, 4 emerald green corycats, 2 yo yo loaches, and 8 otocinclus.

I had 3 and they killed stuff. I researched barbs and asked a lot of questions. I added 6 more and they seemed to be fine and peaceful for about 3 months. Then they went killing again.

They are still doing good and if nothing else, my friend was happy to have them.

Back
Top Bottom