Well Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkkkyle7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just built a new house and it has a well, is there any difference in well water that is better/worse for an aquarium than regular tap water? I tested it and it is acidic, anything else that will make it less acidic other than the higher PH powder? Thanks!

how acidic is it?
hardness and nitrates would be a concern. i have a well and it's a problem for me. i have to condition my water

it is very acidic, when the well was hooked up it passed all the test for that stuff, i read to aerate the water to get rid of gases which helps raise the PH, is that true?

Actual parameters would be helpful.

Several Central and South American fish would do just fine in slightly acidic water. If that isn't your style, you could probably buffer the water up to a more reasonable pH with a carbonate source such as crushed coral in the tank.

Degassing the water can raise the pH if there is a lot of carbon dioxide dissolved, but I would not expect it to make a huge difference. The fastest way to degas water is to boil it.

Back
Top Bottom