well...will i ever see it happening?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patagonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
week 7...still 5ppm nitrites...ammonia is 0ppm...ph stuck at 7.6 and...(my worst nightmare) nitrates are 5ppm..thats what i started with since my tap water is also 5ppm so...i didnt touch the filter...i dont really vacuum the gravel and i feed the fish every other day...ive been doing water changes almost everyday since the nitrite spike...that was about 5 weeks ago...can the nitrite phase take this long? i use prime to treat the tap water...the temperature is around 75F...the tank is only 5gal and 2 platies live in it...theres one thing ive learnt....TO BE PATIENT... :(

My cycle lasted 4 weeks with fish in tanks. I kept water changing to daily-every two days to keep nitrites ~1ppm. So it does seem a long time.

pH is fine

the nitrates i have are coming from my tap water...im not using anything to alter the ph...it has always been 7.6...the only chemical i add to the water is prime...and im using the AP master test kit...i was thinking maybe it is the temperature the one causing the delay...ive read a lot of articles and posts (since ive had 7 weeks to read and nothing else...hehe) and people keep the temperature a little bit higher...but i also read information about the platies and the only take about 77F max so...i dont know...the little platies seem to be fine...they are never at the surface gasping for air nor they behave weird...they eat fine...im very frustrated...honestly...5 weeks of 5ppm nitrites seems way too long....doesnt it? :roll:

You might want ot stop using prime and use just a basic dechlorinator while youre cycling. Sometimes prime or amquel plus can slow your cycle down because it removes ammonia and nitrite, not giving your bacteria a whole lot to feed off of.

And whats wrong with a ph of 7.6?

You have to use more Prime than the dechlorinating dose to detoxify ammonia and nitrite.
How large are your daily water changes?
What's the nitrite reading after a water change?
What kind of filter is in this tank?

That does seem like a long time for the nitrite phase of cycling. Nitrite is the longest IMO, but that's a long time.

i have a whisper filter i think...it came with the tank and has those cartridges that have the blue pad and the activated carbon...havent touched it...and i do about 10-15% water changes...sometimes everyday...sometimes every other day...and the readings are always the same...before or after... 5ppm.... :|

I'm in the same boat with my 10gal.
The Nitrites are at 5ppm and zero Ammo with water temp at 76. I have a Aqua Tech HOB filter. Also using the AP Master kit.

I think the only difference is I use 'Start Right' to condition the water. BUT..........I was under the impression that once you see Nitrites, not to do any more water changes until the cylce was complete...........so I haven't done any in about 2 weeks....Total of 4 weeks with Nitrites.

I have 3 Serpie (sp?) Testra's and 2 White Clouds that seem to be quite happy.

Back
Top Bottom