West Aussie needs help with sand substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Neons are more active spot on one looks smaller and is not totally smooth it has small bits hanging of side of mouth, the one with the spot on the tail is still the same, and the other one with spot on the mouth looks the same. Due for another dose of meds tonight, will do a water change and try a get a better look at them in clearer water.
Should I do a second dose of Tri Sulpha?

DT tank all looking good in there, put Tri Sulpha in yesterday all fish seemed ok with it. Should I do a second dose on Wednesday or leave it alone and just do the water change?

New meds have not arrived yet.

7.00am sorry have to get to work. Will try to get another photo tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just got home for lunch and found 1 Neon floating on the top of the QT tank R.I.P? did not have any spots or anything on him, was fine this morning. All the others still seem fine swimming and eating.

Hopefully they will all be alive when I get back tonight.

That is sad news :(

Yes, on the second round of triple sulpha.

A salt dip may help if the other meds are knocking it down but not completing. I'd try that in a day or so, maybe weekend when more time. There was one thread that used hydrogen peroxide (as at chemist here) but I've not seen it repeated so can't really suggest it. I've only used it on algae.

At least the weather seems cooler than last year

Just did the water change on the QT tank and can see a bit better now, all the Neons have patches of white slime over them, the spots on the mouth and tail are the same have not improved.

Was that a yes to Tri Sulpha in both tanks?

Just did the water change on the QT tank and can see a bit better now, all the Neons have patches of white slime over them, the spots on the mouth and tail are the same have not improved.

Was that a yes to Tri Sulpha in both tanks?

Yes in both tanks. It would be also unfortunately in the DT, the darn infection will survive a month in an empty tank.

Thinking here - we're running out of meds.

I'm going to suggest salting the QT tank as well.

I've had tetras and catfish fine with salt although at a lighter dose for longer. I've thought it does help, even if it just seems to clean the fish up so the meds have a better chance.

On more reading a 1% dose rate is to aim for. If the fish rolls over, loses equilibrium or gets very slow gill movement, then a water change to reduce salt level.

I've copied in a link below for dosing. Mainly as I tend to think in gallons and tablespoons. I would dose 1 teaspoon salt per 1 gal to get them used to it, then 3 after 12hrs (commonly suggested in US as 1 tablespoon per gal max), then to the 7.5 per gallon as in link.

I'd let them go longer then 12hrs in it if doing ok, more like 48. It's going to be a bit of suck and see if you did want to try.

Only other med to try that I know is in lfs is the tetracycline. It's not suited to higher ph and wrong bacteria class but out of options. I'd actually favour the salt first.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Salt

Ok will pick up some salt tomorrow and give it a go. Is it ok to use with the Tri Sulpha in the tank? Sorry for all the questions!

Ok will pick up some salt tomorrow and give it a go. Is it ok to use with the Tri Sulpha in the tank? Sorry for all the questions!

Yes, ok to combine. The main note I have is not to combine triple sulpha with other sulphate meds like copper sulphate. No worries on the questions, happy to share what I've found.

Also worth checking how your nitrifying bacteria are going with the meds and if getting any ammonia or nitrite. I used API ammo lock but seachem prime will detoxify nitrite as well for a day or so. Salt will also protect fish against nitrites.

Normally combining meds is a no no but this is such a hard infection to beat. Standard US treatment would be kanaplex + furan 2 (or some other antibiotic to treat gram negative bacteria) with salt (dosing not dip) and lower temps. Even with that it seems the first batch of infected fish are sometimes lost and it's more saving the rest which are now caught early in the infection as the tank has been dosed. Dosing is usually multiple times as well. Triple sulpha and acriflavine don't really get used as the heavy hitting antibiotic meds are preferred.

Best success I had was with a large bn catfish using salt, cooler weather and waterlife myxazin (acriflavine, MG).

Hi, Very tired fishy person here lol!

Went to the fish store today to pick up sum salt on other supplies, the fish guy was there today and I had a chat with him told him what was going on he thinks it is Columnaris as well and gave me some Aquari-Cycline Tablets said to put 1/2Tablet in QT Tank and 2 Tablets in my DT tank so I did Water change on both dosed them as he said, hope I've done the right thing! I did that about an hour ago 8pm it's now just after 9pm and the fish in both tanks seem fine so far.

I still bought the salt as well.

Did water test on the DT tank and all perfect there Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, & Nitrate 20. I have been putting a dose of Start Right into the filter the day after the meds.

Will keep you posted!

Thank once again for all the help.

Should be fine. I assume it is tetracycline as the ingredient? I did try it in with the sulpha with no probs for fish.

The only time I lost some to meds was when I overdosed myxazin for the course length and probably also the strength (small tank and I suspect I was doing more not less). Fish were over a year old which I think helped them put up with the meds.

Edit - I assume the start right is just nitrifying bacteria? If it also destroys sludge I would skip as could be adding bacteria that may latch onto stressed fish as well.

Last edited:
Yes Tetracycline just been doing some research the dosage is 1tablet per 20 litres, he told me to put 2tablets in my 80 litre tank so only half a dose, and a full dose in the QT tank 1/2Tablet 10 litres. It's leaving a lot of foam on the top of the tank looking very messy!

Yes nitrifying bacteria, will stop putting it in. Thanks.

Fingers crossed on it making a difference.

Adding nitrifying bacteria is ok, it's only sludge destroying bacteria that could be a problem. Would you have the brand and name? I may recognise it.

Also in that vein, I was assuming you aren't feeding any live foods? Frozen might be ok.

It's API Quick Start, and no I don't feed live food, only frozen blood worms about once a week I soak them in Garlic now parasites hate garlic and the fish seem to really like it.

All fish are still alive and kicking this morning, jumping out of the tank literally! Was cleaning some of the foam of the top of my DT tank and could hear a slapping noise I look down and one of my Red Eye Tetras was on the floor! Scooped him up and chucked him back in he seems no worse for the trip.

The Neons don't look as slimy either today so hopefully meds starting to work.

Lunch break over have to get back to work yuk!

Thanks so do I.

Hey how long should I keep treating my DT for, should I do another dose of Tetracycline after this one or just do a water change and give the fish a rest for a day or to, and do some light doses of salt? Sorry not too sure what to do. The guy in the shop only gave me enough Aquari-Cycline tablets for the one dose on the DT and I have enough to do 3 more in the QT Tank if needed.

Still have plenty of Tri Sulpha left.

That's a darn good question. How's the DT going - nice and stable? If looking good, I'd cut out the meds in DT and watch the mouth, base of top fin and base of tail closely on fish just in case.

Edit - give the fish and yourself a break :)

Yes DT no signs of any illness or symptoms on the fish in there at all been just over a week now since I took the last sick fish out.

Sorry my cat just hit the save button on the iPad!

The tetracycline went in yesterday night will leave it all dat tomorrow and do a PWC tomorrow night how much do you reckon, 25 or 50%.

Hi hope you have had a good weekend.

Did a 50% Water change on DT yesterday cleaned filter sponges and put new carbon cartridges back in, did water tests today all ok there, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 20, had to throw my live plants out, they were just clogging up the filter anyway. There is still a bit of foam on the top will do another water change in a few days, and vacuum the gravel again.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417954050.064966.jpg
All the fish in there look great and are happily swimming and actively looking for food.

The QT tank not much change there, did 3rd dose of Tetracycline today have not lost anymore fish they are still active and eating well, the balloon Mollie looks back to normal, but will leave her in QT for awhile longer, the Tetras still have there spots on their mouths, one of them looks like it has got smaller also all the slime has gone, have got one more dose of TC left will do that tomorrow, if that does not clear it, I guess I will start on the salt.

Back
Top Bottom