What a cruel way to kill a shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasmainia300

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently I got 3 amano shrimp for my 10 gallon planted betta tank. I acclimated them and put them in and they seemed to fit right in. My betta was curious at first, but never nipped at them, and once they found the java moss to munch on they never got in his way. Yesterday morning the largest of the shrimp was just sitting on a piece of anacharis while the others were busy feeding. I didn't think much of it, but as the day progressed I noticed he wasn't moving much. By 10 pm he was dead.

Today, I fed the shrimp their second sinking algae wafer, problem is, the betta really liked it too. The fact that the shrimp were hogging such delicious food seemed to get his attention and he started to nip at them occasionally. Now, the second largest is sitting on the anacharis unmoving. I studied it closely for about 5 minutes and realized that the tiny little legs it uses to eat have been severed.... I'm sure this was the fate of the other as well. The shrimp is now on the filter sponge and seems to be trying to feed with no luck. What should I do??ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400049671.660730.jpg

I doubt there is much you can do besides remove the shrimp or the betta. Some bettas can be kept with shrimp and others can't.

Well what I would do is jest leave them in for the beta to eat but most people would try to reprimand me for staying that. Shrimp are a good feeder for fish =[}

I try to run as good an Eco system as possible with all fish, shrimp and snails playing their part. The tetras feast on the young shrimp but the colony is still growing. The shrimp devour any dead fish ( a rarity) in 24 hrs so I don't worry about a dead fish floating behind plants etc. the MTS eat waste food and bury themselves keeping the substrate fertile and aerated. Sometimes I don't like what I see but the tank has found its own natural balance which is satisfying.

Welp, how embarrassing.. I overreacted. The shrimp is still fine and dandy. The legs were so small they looked like they were severed but I guess not... The betta still nips at them but they are too fast for him. I guess I was just stressed because the other one died and I don't know how.

Well some times overreacting when you have fish tanks helps keep you on your feet ^.^ we have all overreacted on sumtbing little at one time or a other

Yeah I guess I was just overall nervous too because the betta recently got ich and I'm worried about that as well. After the ich clears I'm going to get some more amano shrimp as well as a nerite snail. This time I'll pull him out and rearrange the tank to make aggression less likely. Maybe i should also get some bloodworms to distract him from the algae wafers.

It funny how he eats them, he positions himself carefully above and then lunges down to take a bite. Yesterday he was laying on one apparently to keep the shrimp away xD good thing they have plenty of food on the java moss.

Back
Top Bottom