What a disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So.... I accidently unleashed a whole cube of brine shrimp into my 10 gallon tank with Alejandro (my little dwarf puffer). I don't think he ate anything, I watched him for a while and he chased some but I didn't see him actually eat any. So since there was a whole cube of it in my tank and my nitrates are still kinda high I did a PWC. Which turned into a disaster. . . Water and brine shrimp everywhere... then I took out enough water to go under the filter so it had to be jump started again... added a fake plant (decided to go with fake to start and then plant the 29 real) so he had another spot to hide in and vacuumed the gravel. poor little guy is probably freaking out right now lol. Then i had to net out a ton of the shrimp because they are EVERYWHERE and the water change and gravel vac'ing helped a little but not so much.

EDIT: Oh god I think he has ich! :( Is it possible to just have bubbles on his tail maybe? I can't tell yet it wasn't there when I brought him home yesterday :'(

So.... I accidently unleashed a whole cube of brine shrimp into my 10 gallon tank with Alejandro (my little dwarf puffer). I don't think he ate anything, I watched him for a while and he chased some but I didn't see him actually eat any. So since there was a whole cube of it in my tank and my nitrates are still kinda high I did a PWC. Which turned into a disaster. . . Water and brine shrimp everywhere... then I took out enough water to go under the filter so it had to be jump started again... added a fake plant (decided to go with fake to start and then plant the 29 real) so he had another spot to hide in and vacuumed the gravel. poor little guy is probably freaking out right now lol. Then i had to net out a ton of the shrimp because they are EVERYWHERE and the water change and gravel vac'ing helped a little but not so much.

EDIT: Oh god I think he has ich! :( Is it possible to just have bubbles on his tail maybe? I can't tell yet it wasn't there when I brought him home yesterday :'(

Whenever I do a water change, I get some bubbling/pearling on my plants and fish. Just be sure to keep an eye on him. :)

Was it freeze dried brine shrimp or frozen? I have the freeze dried cubes, and what I do is usually just pinch off a bit while its still in the container, then put the pinched bit in the water.

I would watch him for a day or so real close and if the spots don't change then its prob ich which a gradual temp change to 86 for a week and random gravel vac's will take care of pretty easy.

Second on adding only a portion. Of the 20 or so fish I have in my 55 only a handful eat the frozen brine so I just use a clean knife and cut it into 1/4 or 1/2 pieces and only add more when the rest is eaten. With only one puffer you can do the same I would think.

Thanks guys, I will definitely be slicing a little corner off the cube. I think I have just frozen brine shrimp. The bubbles are gone now (whew) so I can stop freakin out lol. Do I have to throw away any srhimp that he doesn't eat? I was thinking if I slice a little bit off and put it in water first I can dump a little into the tank.

You can leave it in there for a short time but if he doesn't eat it after 30 min or so I would remove it, especially on a newer tank. If you leave it in there it will start to decompose and your ammonia will spike up. Just start with a small portion and add to that if needed.

Beyond that, look to see if anyone is getting rid of small snails like MTS (Something trumphet snail). Puffers are known to like eating snails. LIVE MTS can be left in the tank as well, you don't have to worry about removing them.

Yes I would love to see him hunt some snails! He finally ate just now and I am super happy that means everything is good to go! Nitrates are down to like 5, he is eating and happy :D

Back
Top Bottom