What are acceptable ammonia levels for cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,
Last Thursday I started cycling a 48 litre tank with 2 zebra danios. Unfortunately I lost one within 24 hours! but I went to a different LFS who tested the water which she said was fine and I could add two more fish. I added 2 more ZD's so now have 3. I have been doing daily 20% water changes to try and keep ammonia levels down which have been steady over past few days at 0.5ppm. Nitrate at 0 (using API mastertest kit). PH is 7.4-7.6. My question is: What are acceptable ammonia levels for cycling and how do I find out how much water to change depending on levels. I have been feeding avery small amount of flakes once a day (all gone within 30 seconds). know it will probably take longer to cycle with water changes but figure the fish may stand a better chance. Any advice would be great thanks!

Are you using a liquid test kit or strips? If strips I suggest getting a liquid test kit. Most people will advise that if your ammonia or nitrItes are >.25 do at least a 50% water change. If you have an ammonia reading of 1 ppm & you do a 50% water change your should have a new reading of .5 ppm, if you have a reading of .5 ppm & do a 50% water change you should then get a 0 ppm reading. Does that make sense? I currently have a 10g fish in cycling with 1 male Betta, tested my water on Sunday & had 1 ppm nitrites, I have been doing ~80% water changes daily for the last 4 days to get my nitrites as close to 0 as possible, yesterday my nitrites were at .25. I would increase the % of your water changes & I would not add anymore fish until its completely cycled which can take 6-8 wks.

That's great advice thanks. Ill do a 50% change tomorrow and see if i can get it down a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom