What are my mollies doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylittlemollies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,
I have been watching my mollies over the last few days and have noticed sometimes they sort of swim into and bounce off the filter, heater and even the air hose for the stone! Why are they doing this?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Your Mollies

Hello everybody,
I have been watching my mollies over the last few days and have noticed sometimes they sort of swim into and bounce off the filter, heater and even the air hose for the stone! Why are they doing this?

Hello My...

Unusual behavior in your fish should tell you to test the tank water. Mollies are the most sensitive of the livebearers to even slight changes in the water chemistry. They may be telling you it's time for a large water change.

Mollies are brackish water fish. If you're not adding some standard aquarium salt to their tank water, you should consider doing it. A tablespoon in every 5 gallons of new water is sufficient.

B

Hi B,
After having toilet cleaner tipped in my tank on Saturday night by a friends toddler, having to do a complete tank strip on Sunday, I'm not too keen on doing a large water change at this stage. I do use salts in the water though so at least I'm getting that right! :)

Did the behavior start after the toilet cleaner incident? You might need to keep doing water changes to get all the yuck out of there. It might be beneficial to toss some fresh chemical filtration in there, such as Purigen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No it was happening prior to the toilet cleaner incident also

Of course first thing is to check all water parameters.

Next Mollies being brackish fish need marine sale not aquarium salt, 2 different types of salt. Mollies can live in fresh water, but brackish is healthier for them. The specific gravity should be 1.004-1.006

That sounds like flashing which typically indicates ich. They do it as a response to being itchy. Ich often infests the gills first so they can have it without you seeing the small dots.

That sounds like flashing which typically indicates ich. They do it as a response to being itchy. Ich often infests the gills first so they can have it without you seeing the small dots.

+1 this is what I thought too when I read your description. I'm treating ich right now and my fish do this same thing. Luckily for you, salt is one treatment option.

I also thought ick- which adding salt and raising the temp can sometimes tackle so I am thinking water change then adding salt is a good idea

Mollies are not brackish water fish, although they are capable of living in such conditions, as will as full sea water. Most wild mollies come from freshwater streams - they are found in relatively few salt-water environments.

They need hard, alkaline water and a temperature of 78F to really thrive. Water parameters outside this tend to cause problems. The 'flashing' of your fish is , almost certainly, due to parasites, although it doesn't have to be ich. However, it could just be incorrect parameters.

Check your pH - they like 7.5 to 8.0, and hardness 15-30dH

Back
Top Bottom