What are some plants that a goldfish won't eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, Happy Friday! I am interested in making my 40 gallon tank into a planted tank. Problem is, i have a goldfish! As many of us know, goldfish eat a lot of plants. He even nibbles on my marimo moss ball :)

What Id like to know is, what are some really low tech, low light plants that goldfish will not eat or tear apart? I have looked at a plant called "hair grass", I have never heard of that one before, but it looks nice :) Oh, also, I don't have any special plant gravel or anything, just normal aquarium gravel. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks!

Hair grass is definitely out it has very high needs of ferts light and co2 or glut. Easy plants that you can grow would be anubia the leaves of which are usually to tough for them to eat. Also you can do java fern. They don't like that because it seems to taste bad to them. Wisteria is another one that may work. If you give it a root tab they will usually grow fast enough that any losses are quickly regrown. Anubia and Java fern like to be tied to driftwood and rocks and not actually planted but the wisteria can go planted with a root tab or left floating.

Hair grass is definitely out it has very high needs of ferts light and co2 or glut. Easy plants that you can grow would be anubia the leaves of which are usually to tough for them to eat. Also you can do java fern. They don't like that because it seems to taste bad to them. Wisteria is another one that may work. If you give it a root tab they will usually grow fast enough that any losses are quickly regrown. Anubia and Java fern like to be tied to driftwood and rocks and not actually planted but the wisteria can go planted with a root tab or left floating.

Ok no hair grass :( thanks for the suggestions! I will definatly google them and see if I can buy them online. Would they need some special plant food, or would they do fine without?

Back
Top Bottom