What are the best temps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am wondering about temperatures for my aquarium. I have 3 tetras, 3 bloodfin, mollies, guppies and an algae eater. Here the temps in the summer really get high over 80 but my fish are used to it, i dont worrry that much. But i dont know about the cooler temp. I read that someone received an order of fish and that the water was very cold at 68. Right now my water temps are at 74-76 without the heater. I was figuring on setting up the heater so the temps would not go below 72. What do you suggest?

Katfish

Hey katfish,

Like robert and yourself, I have a number of mollies, platties, tetras and a pl*co. My temps are at 27C, don't know what that is in F and ,y mollies are breeding like it is going out of fashion. About 78 is a good temp.

Hi Katfish,

I did a quick search for you about the temperature ranges for these species;

Tetras: 68 - 74,
Bloodfin Tetras: 78 - 80,
Mollies: 75 - 82,
Guppies: 64 - 82,
Algae Eaters: 74 - 79.

The range that they are all comfortable in, is between 78 - 79.

I hope this helps...

:idea: "SO... this might explain why 78 is highlighted on my thermometer, inadvertently, I learned something today."

Hey, 78 seems to be the consensus, so i am setting my heater to 78 starting tomorrow. I checked it today around noon and it was around 76 so i am pretty close. At night i comes down to around 72-74 depending on the weather. This week its going to be cooler according to the weather guy so i will start my heater up and ready.

Thanks a lot guys, you sure know your stuff. And the best thing about this site is everyone is willing to give a helping hand.
I once joined a fish chat and asked about cleaning gravel, and everyone was chatting about sex and other stuff. Not one person there was into fish, go figure. So i pretty much gave up on joining any fish related sites until now, i cant even remember how i got here, but its a great site.

So congratulations to everyone for having such a wonderful site.
Katfish

78 F seems a bit high, I'd say 75 F would be better. Some species of molly and guppies can hail from water that's as low as 64 F. 75-76 is what I'd recommend.

I keep mine at about 78 - 80 , but one or two degrees either way won't harm most type of fish.

I was never aware that guppies could survive at about 64, that's what you call a hardy fish !

Back
Top Bottom