What are These little White animals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,
I have a general question.
I keep a small group of blue dream shrimp in thier own little cold water Tank. They are helthy and breeding so everything good. But I have noticed a rise in Population of small White animals besides them over the last weeks. They arent waterflies because they dont swim like they would. They are compleatly White, somewhat rektangular shaped and move slowly in a set direction without stopping. They usually hang around on surfices. They dont seem to brother the shrimp at all nor sit on them. Since they arent doing any aparent damage I didnt worry too much but now they take over and its quite unsightly. Any idears what they might be and how I can put a dent in thier population without harming the shrimp?
Thanks in advance^^

Attachments

• 20210604_105516.jpg
    20210604_105516.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 45
You may have mosquitos. Some fish eat mosquitos, but shrimp do not. Whatever they are, you didn't put them in there and they arrived without your consent. You could grab a net and skim them off. Some might try to outrun you; reach in to grab individuals with your clean fingertips. Tap and rinse the net outdoors.

Fixed it with a guppy.

So, thank you for the answers first.
I fixed it tho. I have Guppys in another Tank and just took a younger one and put it in with the shrimp. It can take the cold and enjoys the meal. In a day or two I will exchange the little buddy for one of its siblings. She already put herself to work and ate a lot of them. If I repeat this every now and then the issue is solved and the guppys get a more diverse diet. Win win.
So whatever these creatures are, they are food now ^^

I would be careful with letting your guppies eat something you don't know what it is. "Wild" larvae, especially mosquitoes, can carry diseases and harm your fish.

Back
Top Bottom