What are these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought these on a zoa rock, and they've moved themselves up there.
Are they nems?
I'm just curious about them.

Attachments

• image-3116524373.jpg
    image-3116524373.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 138
They look like nems. Could they be apastia ?(spelling?) they don't look much like it.

I have some apastia?
And it looks totally different.
So idk, they're pretty though.

Majano are the same as aiptasia, just differently shaped. They'll sting corals, move around a lot, compete for food, etc. They multiple slightly slower than aiptasia I belive.

They are much prettier than aiptasia. Some people keep them in pest tanks because of that. I had a majano that was beautifully striped and didn't want to get rid of it.

Yeah there really pretty.
Ill keep them for now, if thy get top put of hand I'll start getting rid of them.

And I found something else today in my tank.
Someone tell me what it is? (the white thing on the heater, sorry for bad pic)

Attachments

• image-2207893080.jpg
    image-2207893080.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 120
That looks like a nudibranch aka a sea slug. It looks like a lettuce one but white.

Armoredspider said:
That looks like a nudibranch aka a sea slug. It looks like a lettuce one but white.

What does it...do?
As in eat, will it hurt anything?

Armoredspider said:
Some species will eat anemones sponges and coral.

This could be bad then, I'll keep and eye on them. Thanks for the info! :)

Nudibranches are very particular feeders, one species will eat strictly zoas while another eats strictly algae. They will only eat one type of food which varies by species. I would remove it to the sump if you have one if not keep a close eye on it and your corals.

If it's on a place that has algae and if it's moving you should see a little trail cleaned of algae after it (meaning it's munching algae). If not, then it's probably bad.

Personally it doesn't look like a lettuce nudibranch to me (which eat algae), so you're going to have to be the judge on it if it is a lettuce nudi or not since you have the best view of it. Hopefully I'm mistaken and it's a harmless algae muncher.

Agreed. If it isn't green then it isn't after algae. there color matches what they eat. I had white and blue ones after my blue symphodium. You need to remove it asap.

Edit: same nudibranch. Remove it!

Sorry for the wrong id. All I know is from online research, I'm hoping to start my tank soon!

Found a pic of the one I removed. Hope this looks familiar.
img_2088378_0_38539d615addd15bbed1c533a81b0ade.jpg

That's the same bloody thing!
Now there hiding. I'll wait for my chance.

Found them...they were munching on my star polyps, and the other was on my colt.
Colt is a goner but the polyps should be okay, thanks for helping me get these guys out.

Back
Top Bottom