what can go with a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to make a new thread and ask a very similar question. We have a 50g tank and have recently finished the cycle. Right now, there are 7 neon tetras, 2 dwarf gouramis (1 neon blue, 1 flame both male) and an angel. All fish are relatively small, less than 2 inches. We let everyone get accustomed to the tank and decided to add a half moon male betta. After about an hour or two I noticed the betta was acting aggressive towards the flame dwarf. It wasn't all the time but it only took twice for his gills and tail at full extension for me to yank him out of the tank and place him in a small betta bowl. The gouramis were not picking on him and they do fine with the angel. I have plenty of hiding places suitable for everyone. The other thing i thought was strange was that the betta didnt seem to mind the neon blue gourami, just the flame. I figured in a 50g it wouldnt cause any problems. I'm thinking of waiting another day or two and trying to add him again... but i'm also thinking of returning the betta to the LFS. I really dont want to do that but I dont think i can keep a betta bowl around either. My cat has shown great interest in the betta since we've placed him in the bowl.

In the past though I have had a betta in a 10g with a bunch of guppies and various tetra. I was about 14 or so and didnt know about guppy reproduction. Needless to say, when the female guppies were spawning, the betta was not far behind enjoying a snack. They survived together fine except for the fry. Good luck! I hope you have him some good tankmates.

Haha! That's what i am scared of!!!! Making a plan for fish around him and then him not working... i wouldn't even know what to add to replace him. If that does happen i will probably get rid of the betta... i can't stand having just ONE fish in a tank... very boring

and then I read this lol.

If i were you.. second time around maybe place him in a clear container so he can check out the tank first? Maybe he was scared with the bigger fish? Maybe trying to find his place? I'm not sure but after that if he does it again i wouldn't add him for a third time. Also maybe keep the betta in a dark spot before putting him in so he is tierd? Sorry can't help much.. just what i would do. Hope it works!! Bettas are so colorful.. but with color usually you get quite the personality

If i were you.. second time around maybe place him in a clear container so he can check out the tank first? Maybe he was scared with the bigger fish? Maybe trying to find his place? I'm not sure but after that if he does it again i wouldn't add him for a third time. Also maybe keep the betta in a dark spot before putting him in so he is tierd? Sorry can't help much.. just what i would do. Hope it works!! Bettas are so colorful.. but with color usually you get quite the personality

Thanks, It seemed as if he was fighting the current form the filter and it tired him out. the first time he flared up at the Flame Dwarf G, i thought it might have been a territorial thing. Then he did it again in another area of the tank and I was disappointed. I hate that we've already named him, Batman..quick attachment sucks sometimes. We had him in the plastic bag for about an hour as we transferred the water to and from his bag. I was hoping that would have given him time to check things out a bit. We're probably just going to keep him in a betta bowl in our office and just let it be. But we'll see. Maybe i need to let the other fish put more claim on the tank before i try again. But I agree, i wont be trying him again a third time if he can't play nice a second time.

Again, Thanks :)

If you intend to over run your tank with plants and can take on a little extra work, some perfect betta community 29g residents include micro boras, like the harlequin, galaxy and thread fin. There are also plenty of small barbs- Odessa, cherry, gold, honeycomb, rhombus and clown to name a few, I would do 2 schools of 8 an albino long fin bristle nosed pleco and a school of 5 dwarf chain loaches. Just remember loaches need stable parameters and a mature tank along with securely anchored plants and soft sand to avoid damaging their barbels.... Don't believe it until you have done it- I had a 55g with 3 adult male betta, 4 adult females, 3 gourami (1 blue, 2 paradise) a school of 7 brilliant boras, a school of 5 Odessa barbs, 5 rummy noses 2 long finned bnp and 4 striped kuhli loaches. Gave the tank to my sister as a housewarming present 2 years ago and I had it running at my house for about 2 years when I gave it to her, very successful tank. Surface plants/ floating plants and broad leaved plants are a must in a betta community, remember how small these fish are- if you have decent vegetation at all levels and driftwood and stone caves you've got a better than you could believe chance of making it work...

If you intend to over run your tank with plants and can take on a little extra work, some perfect betta community 29g residents include micro boras, like the harlequin, galaxy and thread fin. There are also plenty of small barbs- Odessa, cherry, gold, honeycomb, rhombus and clown to name a few, I would do 2 schools of 8 an albino long fin bristle nosed pleco and a school of 5 dwarf chain loaches. Just remember loaches need stable parameters and a mature tank along with securely anchored plants and soft sand to avoid damaging their barbels.... Don't believe it until you have done it- I had a 55g with 3 adult male betta, 4 adult females, 3 gourami (1 blue, 2 paradise) a school of 7 brilliant boras, a school of 5 Odessa barbs, 5 rummy noses 2 long finned bnp and 4 striped kuhli loaches. Gave the tank to my sister as a housewarming present 2 years ago and I had it running at my house for about 2 years when I gave it to her, very successful tank. Surface plants/ floating plants and broad leaved plants are a must in a betta community, remember how small these fish are- if you have decent vegetation at all levels and driftwood and stone caves you've got a better than you could believe chance of making it work...
I am not good with keeping my water good... also nitrate is up a bit in my tap water. I do have some small live plants on the bottom but over the years my others have died off. I am wanting kuhli loaches because that's all you can find around here... :( how does the stock above sound? If you havnt seen it this is it:
Betta
Two mystery snails (currently in the tank)
3 black mollies
6 neons
6 harlican rasboras
And about 5 kuhli loaches

I don't like corys and can never keep a pleco alive so they are out
Also my substrate is small rounded rocks. The tank has been running for over two years and i have a huge stump thing in it and a rock thing with small plants on the substrate. Ill try to get a picture

This is the 29g currently and it will stay the same but much cleaner

ForumRunner_20131213_000057.jpg

I'd leave out the mollies, they aren't really compatible with the rest of your stock. Slightly elevated nitrate is expected in a planted tank, as well as lowered ph. You should check out dwarf neon rainbows or killifish instead...

This is an old picture when i had the gravel with my goldfish but this is the gravel. Its small and smooth. Is that okay for loaches??

ForumRunner_20131213_000500.jpg

I'd leave out the mollies, they aren't really compatible with the rest of your stock. Slightly elevated nitrate is expected in a planted tank, as well as lowered ph. You should check out dwarf neon rainbows or killifish instead...

Rainbows are funny looking and killi fish are not found around here. I need something common.. what about a platty? The mollies are the only thing that won't work on my list?

Have you looked at diamond, blushing X-ray, copelandi or Von rio tetra? School of 3-5 in place of any live bearer, really. Your betta is a black water rainforest species from SE Asia whereas live bearers like a teaspoon of salt with their water changes- mollies and guppies in particular can be found in marine tanks grazing on algae. That's a stark contrast to the 5.0-6.5 ph acidic loving betta

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball, Mini-Fishes.htm

Here's some info on mini fish from aqualandpetsplus.com- they have a lot of helpful info on freshwater fish and other non traditional pets.

Have you looked at diamond, blushing X-ray, copelandi or Von rio tetra? School of 3-5 in place of any live bearer, really. Your betta is a black water rainforest species from SE Asia whereas live bearers like a teaspoon of salt with their water changes- mollies and guppies in particular can be found in marine tanks grazing on algae. That's a stark contrast to the 5.0-6.5 ph acidic loving betta

Various mini-fishes with pictures

Here's some info on mini fish from aqualandpetsplus.com- they have a lot of helpful info on freshwater fish and other non traditional pets.

There's no real reason to put any salt in with any freshwater live bearers including mollies and guppies especially if there's plants involved. Following that the pH tolerance of bettas works along just fine with that of both the mollies and guppies.

I personally think the stocking list is just fine however I would switch out the neon tetras with cardinal tetras if you can. The cardinals prefer a higher temperature range than the neons which would match the kuhlis, betta, and the mollies as well.

I don't want the mollies to over populate the tank... would getting three females be bad? Or should i get three males? They won't fight will they?

Three males could be an issue. Three females would work but you might get one or more pregnant ones and still end up with fry. Oh and guppies can cross breed with Mollies so they couldn't be kept together.

Three males could be an issue. Three females would work but you might get one or more pregnant ones and still end up with fry. Oh and guppies can cross breed with Mollies so they couldn't be kept together.

I have Molly X endlers X guppy babies in my live bearer breeder tank- I can testify to their cross breeding. Luckily they are my home grown live feeders for my cichlids because they are some ugly and relatively stupid fish that breed at a prophetic rate...

As for adding salt to live bearers tanks- look into general information and preferred parameters on these guys. No, it may not be a requirement, but it does add to their longevity and comfort. As for plants- most java fern and mosses and other aquatic plants from Africa are pretty tolerant of alkalinity. Research is fun!!

I have Molly X endlers X guppy babies in my live bearer breeder tank- I can testify to their cross breeding. Luckily they are my home grown live feeders for my cichlids because they are some ugly and relatively stupid fish that breed at a prophetic rate...

As for adding salt to live bearers tanks- look into general information and preferred parameters on these guys. No, it may not be a requirement, but it does add to their longevity and comfort. As for plants- most java fern and mosses and other aquatic plants from Africa are pretty tolerant of alkalinity. Research is fun!!

What does alkalinity have to do with salt? It's also very very specific stocking of plants to have salt in an aquarium and I am going to venture out on a limb and say that the OP hasn't done that.

What does alkalinity have to do with salt? It's also very very specific stocking of plants to have salt in an aquarium and I am going to venture out on a limb and say that the OP hasn't done that.

I have had up to 200 guppies at once a few years ago. I use to put salt in for them but found it kind of a pain and pointless. They said they need it in the pet store or the babies won't live... they lie lol they would prefer it but i wouldn't work around that for a fish stock. So you think the group is good? And ill for sure do three female mollies instead. I might do two black and a dolmation or one black and to others. Just for some color variety. Yes i could get those other neons. They are like a neon but bigger?? They call them jumbo something.

Acidic water= low ph, below 7.0 which is neutral, usually higher temperature and low oxygen/ mineral and element content
Neutral water= as close to 7.0 as possible with trace elements and minerals present at healthy levels.
Alkaline water= higher ph, salinity usually present and readable with a hydrometer. Usually the first step in switching specific "freshwater" species to brackish and then marine (mollies are really not that good for algae removal in saltwater tanks with live rocks and small inverts).

Correct me if I am way off base, but most beginner, low light and hearty water plants have no problems adjusting to the relative 'hardness' of between 7.5 and 8 for ph.... Just don't try to go all amano or Dutch style- if you're interested in that stick with jungle black water mini fish- whole heartedly agree on the cardinals versus neons- much more forgiving on temperature and water quality.

My main reason for posting is to help out others by sharing what I've learned from personal experience, not babble off numbers and summaries given to me by a research laboratory or other "expert". As I imagine others here can appreciate, the questions I ask about I am looking for individual personal experiences, good, bad or indifferent, about things that are new to me and there is insufficient/ contradictory information on my trusted research sites.

Now, with all of that said, I will not debate my personal experiences or lack there of on this thread for respect to the op. Good luck with your aqua buddies!!! Nothing is impossible, just horribly improbable.

I have had up to 200 guppies at once a few years ago. I use to put salt in for them but found it kind of a pain and pointless. They said they need it in the pet store or the babies won't live... they lie lol they would prefer it but i wouldn't work around that for a fish stock. So you think the group is good? And ill for sure do three female mollies instead. I might do two black and a dolmation or one black and to others. Just for some color variety. Yes i could get those other neons. They are like a neon but bigger?? They call them jumbo something.

Cardinals and regular neon tetra are about the same size, I actually think cardinals stay smaller than neons

Cardinals and regular neon tetra are about the same size, I actually think cardinals stay smaller than neons

Petsmart says cardinals get an inch bigger then jumbo neons or something... idk it says they get 3". They don't have loaches on the website anymore but i hope they have them... if then don't, is that something i can add later?
Current stock i want
1betta
2 mystery snails
3 mollies (dolmation and black) all female
5-6 cardinal tetra
5-6 rasbora
5-6 khuid loaches (idk how to spell it)

Salinity and Alkalinity are two completely different thing. Salinity is a measure of sodium in the water while the alkalinity is generally the measure of carbonate in the water.

If you go with cardinals make sure to check whether they were tank raised or wild caught. The wild caught tend to be a bit hardier but are more dependent on pH while the tank raised are a bit more forgiving of the pH value. They do indeed get slightly larger than the neons.

You can certainly add the khulis later on when you are able to get your hands on them.

Salinity and Alkalinity are two completely different thing. Salinity is a measure of sodium in the water while the alkalinity is generally the measure of carbonate in the water.

If you go with cardinals make sure to check whether they were tank raised or wild caught. The wild caught tend to be a bit hardier but are more dependent on pH while the tank raised are a bit more forgiving of the pH value. They do indeed get slightly larger than the neons.

You can certainly add the khulis later on when you are able to get your hands on them.

Okay sounds good. Do i have to get the cardinal? Then are $4 each... :/ and i would assume them are tank raised because its from a chain store. Petsmart

Back
Top Bottom