What can I add to my 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have 1 betta and 5 neon tetras (I know its debatable about if they are okay there but I have had them for a year there is no returning) in my 10 gallon tank. I would like to add something. PReferably a bottom feeder of some sort.

What can I add and how many?

Do you think 5 Dwarf Habrosus Corydoras would be okay?

What other fish could work?

I don't have a betta but have herd it can depend on each fish and their temperament? Also I had read, fish that have been fine for a significant amount of time can become aggressive when sexually mature?!They can be different, how Is yours with your tetras? I have cardinals and rummynose tetras with stebai cory's and would be very keen to add a betta to my community but not sure as there are so many opposing opinions!! Sorry I can't actually help but I was interested in your question :)

I don't have a betta but have herd it can depend on each fish and their temperament? Also I had read, fish that have been fine for a significant amount of time can become aggressive when sexually mature?!They can be different, how Is yours with your tetras? I have cardinals and rummynose tetras with stebai cory's and would be very keen to add a betta to my community but not sure as there are so many opposing opinions!! Sorry I can't actually help but I was interested in your question :)

My betta is two years old. He has always been fine with the tetras. Occasionally he chases them for half a second but they swim way faster so he gives up and goes back to minding his own business. I do have lots of live plants and hidy places for everyone (including betta) tho. The only time he gets a little tesy with them is when its dinner time and they are trying to steal his pellets. But even then its a half hearted chase and the giving up. He did tear shrimp apart but has never minded other fish or snails at all. It is very much about your bettas personality and some stuff is leanred the hardway (like the ghost shrimp lol). But he is abotu as mature as he is going to get and has never really been aggressive. He doesnt even flar up too often.

I currently have 1 betta and 5 neon tetras (I know its debatable about if they are okay there but I have had them for a year there is no returning) in my 10 gallon tank. I would like to add something. PReferably a bottom feeder of some sort.

What can I add and how many?

Do you think 5 Dwarf Habrosus Corydoras would be okay?

What other fish could work?

In a 10, I would say you're about full. Also, with them being happy for a year, I wouldn't see it safe to add anymore fish. A trick that works with some bettas is to add the other fish before the betta. That way it was their land, or water, (?) first.

As for a betta in a community tank, it may work in some instances, but I tend to discourage it. My reasoning is some fish that might be good for a community tank are terrors to a betta. One example would be danios. While some say in large enough schools they will leave the betta alone, I've seen several times someone try it and the betta becomes suddenly stressed and sickly. Danios are notorious fin-nippers. Bettas have the perfect fins for nipping. Another reason to discourage this, IMO, is that the betta may be too aggressive, and then the trouble goes the other way. The other fish get injured or even killed. Some have done it with success, and there's nothing wrong with being successful with this, but to me, it's too risky for the other fish or for the betta if they tend to be nippy tank mates.

Betta's rarely both cory's. And I disagree with the others as I see no problem with adding the dwarf cories. A betta and 5 neons have a very small bio-load and they dwarf cory's don't have a high bio-load either. If you do weekly 50% WC's and have good filtration in the tank IMO you should be fine. But that would put your tank at 100% fully stocked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom