what causes high ph levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cutlercutie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5 gallon tank with two shrimp and one otto cat fish. I have a filter and heater. I use bottled water with a ph level of 6.4. Yet my tanks ph is 7.6. I do water changes weekly. Any ideas what could be making the ph so high? I have a few fake plants in the tank as well.

You can test your rocks by removing them and putting a few drops of vinegar on them. If they sizzle or bubble this means they will release buffers into the water that raise kh/gh/ph. Also some substrates can raise ph also. Most likely one or both of these are your problem.

You can test your rocks by removing them and putting a few drops of vinegar on them. If they sizzle or bubble this means they will release buffers into the water that raise kh/gh/ph. Also some substrates can raise ph also. Most likely one or both of these are your problem.

Play sand shouldn't raise ph right?

nope also even stuff in the atmosphere can bring PH up and down I been told. adding anything new to the tank can change PH. I wouldn't worry too much fish adapt really nicely to changes as long as it is gradual

I wouldn't worry about anything in the atmosphere raising the hardness or ph of your tank, unless you live in a chalk factory. Play sand wont as long as thats all thats in it.

I wouldn't worry about anything in the atmosphere raising the hardness or ph of your tank, unless you live in a chalk factory. Play sand wont as long as thats all thats in it.

My hardness is super high lol on the 5 in 1 test.my gh is 180+ my kh is 240+ an estimation of my ph would be around 7.7 nitrite 0 and nitrates is somewhere between 1 and 20

Just so you know test strips are not known for being accurate so you might want to pick up an API Master Test Kit. I also use the API- 2 in 1 test kit for Kh and Gh.

Just so you know test strips are not known for being accurate so you might want to pick up an API Master Test Kit. I also use the API- 2 in 1 test kit for Kh and Gh.

How much are the master kits, and why do you use a separate test for the gh and kh?

I've been told you can get them on ebay for a good price but you'd have to check it out since I haven't bought one in years. I like to know my kh and gh as I have all planted tanks and the Master Test Kit only has ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and both high and regular ph tests. I also test for phosphates since I have planted tanks.

Individual liquid tests are more accurate. The api liquid master set is missed gh and kh tests, they are still good and reasonably priced liquid testing kits and have the essentials like ammonia nitrite nitrate and ph.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom