What color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find holding the test tube against the white background tends to wash out any shading, resulting in a false-negative reading.

For a more accurate comparison, I usually look at the bottom of the test tube, or, the surface water line (meniscus).

The way I judge API ammonia kits is when I walk back into the room after the 5 minutes...if my first thought is "oh, it's a yellow test tube", then it's actually yellow. I think if you stare at it long enough it tricks you into having a green tint. So, by that logic when I first saw the picture, I thought yellow test tube...so thats my vote :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the votes, been doing some filter cleaning and changes and checking ammonia.

Jimmy

looks like a zero to me as well. I usually stare at the test tube after adding bottle #1 and then watch it closely as I add #2 to see for any change in shade. If it's that close though it might as well be a 0.

Thank you. Been cleaning filters, cleaning some stuff in tank.

Looks like zero, but zero doesn't always look yellow when holding it up against the card. If I'm in doubt, I test against some distilled or tap water (I know mine is 0 ammonia) and then I know for sure. :D

That is a good idea LG, never thought of that. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom