what could i get for a tankmate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
55 is pretty small for a full grown Oscar, I would recommend a 75 gallon at minimum with no tank mates. By pleco do you mean a common pleco, if so it should be rehomed because that's a huge bioload on a 55 between the Oscar and the pleco.

So no I wouldn't recommend any tank mates at this point.

well i inherited a 30 gallon that i am using as a growout until i can buy the 55 and now that im thinking about it a 90 gallon because of the very similar footprint. My next question is the tank came with a pictus catfish any issues throwing him in there? he is 4 years old and one of the bigger pictuses ive seen.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
well i inherited a 30 gallon that i am using as a growout until i can buy the 55 and now that im thinking about it a 90 gallon because of the very similar footprint. My next question is the tank came with a pictus catfish any issues throwing him in there? he is 4 years old and one of the bigger pictuses ive seen.

55 gallons are 48" x 13" x 21"
90 gallons are 48" x 18" x 24"

A little bit different foot print that extra 5" of depth really makes allot of difference IMO. The only issue with the pictus is they should be in a school of about 5-6 which would be a little much in a 90 with an oscar. If you want an Oscar and a pictus school I would go with a 6' tank.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa said:
oh and i didnt mean a common pleco i was going to fing somthing somewere that was going to stay about 12 or so inches.

Yea sorry I thought you already had the pleco and Oscar.

alright im thinking a 90 now. my oscar seems to be fairly docile i have a groumie in the tank that was also inherited and he hasnt been attacking it like i thught would happen.

As with almost any fish as they age the aggression levels rise then peaks around sexuall maturity, with oscars that's around 18 months.

wait you dont have the tank yet?.... you should really get the tank before the fish, cause life can change and the fish may be put on hold and suffer... ive learned alot in the last almost 11 years of fish keeping. so please get the 90 AS SOON AS POSS! plz!

hm i would get rid of the oscar then, dont let the oscar suffer and risk becoming stunted ( which he will ) get a male jack dempsey or a salvini. ok do this

one convict
one fireouth
one male jack dempsey ( or female would be better as they stay smaller )

or

1 severum
1 firemouth
1 convict

just take the oscar back to the lfs plz

Just throwing this out there, there are lots of people that keep an oscar in a 55g, no problem. If you are willing to put in the effort to keep the tank clean, which will be more work than normal a week, then there should be no problem. But, this is just my opinion and what I have read on this site along with others.

Just remember that all of us on this site are hobbyists. Our hobby is built on personal experience along with opinions of others. Do your own research before ever buying/trading a fish.

Back
Top Bottom