What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No matter what we call them they sure taste good with a cold miller lite!!!!

Agreed. Actually, crawfish are one of the few things I will drink miller or bud with. I'm a picky beer drinker; blue moon, Guinness, or some German beers are all I usually drink.

I have a marbled crawfish/crayfish/crawdad, lol. And her zillion babies. I will probably set up a really big breeding tank for them one of these days. They do destroy plants, though. I tried planting it just to see what would happen and they all got eaten.

I didn't do much actual tank maintenance today, but I got my 10 gallon painted for my new betta who should arrive very soon from aquabid. Cbourg, it's the one you gave me! Looks pretty nice, but it will look a lot better tomorrow when I can get some sand and water into it, lol.

image-3612100695.jpg

Ok, I'm angry. Just got a message from the aquabid seller I ordered the fish from saying he was mistaken and the fish I bought was sold and he doesn't have any other black ones in stock. Back to aquabid, I guess. Maybe I can find another one who will look so nice in a white tank...

Looked in my tank and noticed i now have a female nyerersi holding.. this will be the first time my babies are having babies.. im excited n not so excited all at once

Hubbys excited he saw her before i did. But i have been watching since i moved them over to the big tank i knew the temp change n water level drop while they were n the containers was gonna do the trick n did...

ForumRunner_20130314_221241.jpg

ForumRunner_20130314_221252.jpg

Ok, I'm angry. Just got a message from the aquabid seller I ordered the fish from saying he was mistaken and the fish I bought was sold and he doesn't have any other black ones in stock. Back to aquabid, I guess. Maybe I can find another one who will look so nice in a white tank...

Oh no!! V frustrating for u, he was a beauty :-( hope u find something else soon!!

Well my eBay fluval 306 came today! It looks to be in great condition, ran 5 gallons through it (using buckets) and no leaks!

It came with all of the media in it, but since I don't know the buyer I'm guessing I should just toss it and buy some new stuff to make sure there aren't any diseases tagging along?

Yeah.. I would probably would do the same. Im glad its all working for you. How much are you now going to have to spwnd on media?

How dirty is the media? How soon do you need to use the filter? You could soak them in white vinegar For a week and then in hot water for another. If theyre really dirty chuck em

Yeah.. I would probably would do the same. Im glad its all working for you. How much are you now going to have to spwnd on media?

How dirty is the media? How soon do you need to use the filter? You could soak them in white vinegar For a week and then in hot water for another. If theyre really dirty chuck em
The media actually doesn't look very dirty at all. There was what seemed to me some sand grains floating around the canister that I cleaned out, but the sponges and bio rings all look pretty clean, so I definitely don't think it was used very long.

I need to use the filter next week though to start cycling my tank, and it'll cost like $30 for new media.

If it were me, IMO id reuse the sponges and get new ceramics. You dont have to buy fluvals media but the sponges you probably would for a better fit. Id still recommend a deep clean soak though. Might even be worth getting some white vinegar, salt and a brush and having a scrub at the filter.

*edit. They look clean to me.. Would be a waste to throw them out. Id still be weiry of the ceramics though.

If it were me, IMO id reuse the sponges and get new ceramics. You dont have to buy fluvals media but the sponges you probably would for a better fit. Id still recommend a deep clean soak though. Might even be worth getting some white vinegar, salt and a brush and having a scrub at the filter.

*edit. They look clean to me.. Would be a waste to throw them out. Id still be weiry of the ceramics though.
That's what I'm thinking. I'll just give the sponges a good rinse and buy new ceramic rings. Now to just get some purigen and polyfil to replace the carbon that came with it!

Edit: Even with new ceramics, I'm still ending up with a fluvial 306 for $85. SCORE.

Picked up some angels today.. i picked one n my husband picked one.. he is coming along n doing more and more with the hobby which is good and bad bc now i gotta get fish he likes too..

Picked up some angels today.. i picked one n my husband picked one.. he is coming along n doing more and more with the hobby which is good and bad bc now i gotta get fish he likes too..

Sounds like you need his and hers aquariums. You may want to work that into your next bargaining agreement. Lol

Water changes! I'm watching my 56 drain right now. Man I love having a water changer. Vac the sand then sit back and watch the water drain away

Sounds like you need his and hers aquariums. You may want to work that into your next bargaining agreement. Lol

Yea .. he is fixing to have his own for his blue crayfish/crawfish .. lol we have 3 tanks in our living room.. which is cramped bc we have a single wide trailor now. i did talk him in to tryin neon tetras with his tank n see how that works been told its a 50/50 as the blue will eat fish.. he is killing me with all the albinos he wants ..

Ordered 4 albino socolofi , 4 albino ob zebras, added 2 more albino cories to the 55g , n he wants a white crayfish/crawfish in a 10g.. i dont like any of those but the socolofi which i talked him into over the albino zebras.. :/ they arrive thursday along with some more i choose
4 pseudo. Chasoli , 4 pseudo. macrothalmus ob , 3 cyno. Zebroid yellow blaze (got a male already)

Cant wait to get them in ..

Day 2 in the "Brown Algae wars" With the lights off and the double dose of Excel...it seems to be receding a substantial amount! I will add an Oto or 2 today after a trip to my very lfs. New bettas, girl and boy, are adapting nicely. I found about a 2 gal bowl for the new guy and he Loves it...(an old cookie jar, glass and very see thru, just need to drop a few plants in for him) Hope I can find another cookie jar like this, might make a nice breeder/fry tank! Maybe they got like a 3 gal. size.
On other fronts, the snail war is still on! I have removed another 6 from the tank and still I find floating plants! I will keep removing them until I finally break down and change the substrate like I want

Back
Top Bottom