What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Aa...

Got board with an old 55 G that's been running for 4 years or so and removed half of the mechanical filtration and replaced that with an emersed land plant. The roots remove the wastes the fish produce rather than just filtering toxic water and returning water that's a bit less toxic. The plant was much cheaper than the filter would have been and does a better job.

Did have to lower the tank water, so the plant's leaves remained above or it would drown, but left some of the aquatic plants, so it still has a bit of a normal look. See attached pics.

B

Neat! I think it'd be pretty cool if you could raise the emersed plant higher so the leaves come out of the tank. Then you could also raise your water level. What sort of fish do you have in there?

Well, where to begin...The last couple days I have been moving fish and shrimp and plants around like it was musical chairs!

Took down my 32G flat back hex, and cleaned it and gave it to a friend. Moved the Rainbow Blue Platy babies to the 16G... Took apart my 16G to move it but realized it needed a complete clean on the tank and removal of the old sand which needed to be cleaned, moved the Baby Platies AGAIN, the big ones to the 37G, and the little fry to a bucket with all of the shrimp.

Suspect that grown up Kuhli loaches like to munch baby shrimp. My baby shrimp population was very tiny. :eek: The Kuhlis were such tiny babies, but they grew up! Moved them to the 37G along with the adult Rainbow Blue Platy.

Moved out all the plants to a holding tub, moved all the stuff from inside the tank to a bucket, Moved some of my Dark red shrimp to the Edge tank and the tiny Rasboras Brigittae also to the Edge. Found a big cool piece of driftwood which I forgot I even had it was so covered with moss.

Sifted the sand over and over to capture a bunch of Trumpet snails. Added a few blue Cherry shrimp to the original snail and shrimp bowl

Threw the newly discovered driftwood into the new 3G planted bowl with some trumpet snails and a pair of White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a half of a smashed giant moss ball and a few plants and literally a handfull of Garnet sand, that was on the paper towel in the pic. None of the other had been washed.

Officially started my new 3G bowl. it looks great for the 5 minutes I spent on it! Hubby said it looked interesting (meant interesting in a good way, lol). Like something to look at.

Hubby also said that my 72G, looked like a wide screen tv, only "LIVE". With real fish adventures...! :lol:

Siftes through debris from the bottom of the tank and water searching for lost little shrimplets. Did it again tonight looking through the other water and rock stuff from the bottom and saved a handful. Added fry to the shrimp tank until the bigger tank gets moved and the babies get to be bigger than mouth sized so they can go in there.

I am exhausted. Oh and my phone finally broke and I have to get a new one, so I can get some good pics, OH and communicate! Thanks for listening!

Thought up the two next RAOK, snail and plant bowl, misc. asst plants and asst. snails, coming this weekend so watch for it...! and mid May for a special one with shrimp. Nite!

Moved it all.

Well, where to begin...The last couple days I have been moving fish and shrimp and plants around like it was musical chairs!...
I am exhausted.
Moved it all.
OMG I am exhausted just reading what you did. Great tip/insight on the hungry kuhli. Hope your phone gets fixed soon. Get some rest and admire your work!

Terraphyte Tanks

Neat! I think it'd be pretty cool if you could raise the emersed plant higher so the leaves come out of the tank. Then you could also raise your water level. What sort of fish do you have in there?

Hello Bear...

I do have a couple of tanks with the emersed plants growing out of the tank. They're called Terraphyte. In the tank pictured, I have Fancy Guppies and Corydoras.

Thanks for the comment.

B

Got a package from ThatPetPlace this afternoon.

image-1389580816.jpg

Need to replenish the ammonia test solution from my API FW Master kit (I did about 40 ammonia tests in a 10 day period while trying to research something). Yeah, I got Excel...need to order Glut one of these days. I melted the AC50 intake tube in boiling water (oops) and got a replacement. 3 AC50 foam inserts for $5...not bad. Only needed one. And a nylon mesh bag for the biomax. Shrimp tank 3.0 begins...

Pwc on my bettas tank, pwc on my elephant nose tank and added a new cave this one has no hole's for my kuhli to get into :)

ForumRunner_20130419_200525.jpg

Been busy doing lots of water changes supposed to be on vacation but we decided to stay home instead and i have used this week to do alot of maintence on my tanks. I think i have done a pwc every day this week whether it was 15% or 50% .. started looking for my next project since it wont be long and the babies can be added to the 125g then the crawfish can be moved to the 20g .. i may do shrimp a couple snails and a betta in the 10g.. i wanna add some plants so i need to fix the lights or replace the top ... considering an orange betta male .. possibly a crowntail or dragon .. then again saw a gorgeous yellow grey and black one on aquabid so who knows :)

placed corals were I want them so I know if I like them where they are
before I permanently glue them in
ordered more goodies and did wc on all my tanks

Brotha gave a gift to my son. It was a Moon Rock that glows in the dark for the aquarium. I wasnt too crazy about it but has grown on me and fits nice in the tank. The leader of the Yellow Labs and 2nd in command, the subdominant Jalo Reef male were on a standoff. Now, the king of the tank, Bob Marley, the dominant male- Jalo Reef came over to see what was going on and didnt like the 2nd in command with his colors and chased him away...lol Yellow lab Wins Round 1

They were all checking on the new item in their house
img2000fx.jpg

Then there was 2 left
img2003vr.jpg

The standoff!!
img2006xm.jpg

Yellow Lab wins
img2012gd.jpg

Tomorrow we celebrate one week cycled!

We may celebrate with a new tank mate. Will add Neon Tetras to increase my school to five.

Last night I rearranged the princess tank. I like it much better than how it previously looked. (It is supposed to be my daughters' tank, and now daddy is ready for a big tank).

Before

image-670168100.jpg

Now

image-567019190.jpg

Pwc on my reef tank

Haven't done it yet but I'm headed This morning to a frag swap. Its a huge event with over 25 retail vendors and over $8000 in raffles and prizes.

I already have prepaid for these corals
acropora hoeksemai $15
green slimmer $10
blueberry monti $10
meteor shower $15
reeftech starburst cap $15
Tubs blue zoas $20 for 15 polyps
space invaders zoas $10 for a bunch
Hammer coral $10

I'm going to have a cooler full

Yesterday morning:

Slow leak in 150 FW...my nightmare come true.
Broke it down and transferred fish/snails/plants to empty 29 I have for emergencies. This is just a temporary solution.
Took all day.

Today:

Taking down 10 FW betta/cory tank now for a thorough cleaning (resting right now), fish in an aerated bucket.

Had a NIGHTMARE/VERY BAD DREAM earlier about my teen kitten knocking the glass lid into the 29, resulting in my bichir being beheaded by the broken pieces.

Finishing the 150 this afternoon, taking out remainder of wet sand and last 3" of water, plus searching for any snails which might've been left behind.

Figuring out what to do next now. Put the tank and stand on Craigslist to sell as a reptile habitat. Keeping canister filter and temporarily have it hooked up to the 29 next to the now empty 150. x_x

Attachments

• image-3333177890.jpg
    image-3333177890.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1281100261.jpg
    image-1281100261.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 86
Yesterday morning:

Slow leak in 150 FW...my nightmare come true.
Broke it down and transferred fish/snails/plants to empty 29 I have for emergencies. This is just a temporary solution.
Took all day.

Today:

Taking down 10 FW betta/cory tank now for a thorough cleaning (resting right now), fish in an aerated bucket.

Had a nightmare earlier about my teen kitten knocking the glass lid into the 29, resulting in my bichir being beheaded by the broken pieces.

Finishing the 150 this afternoon, taking out remainder of wet sand and last 3" of water, plus searching for any snails which might've been left behind.

Figuring out what to do next now. Put the tank and stand on Craigslist to sell as a reptile habitat. Keeping canister filter and temporarily have it hooked up to the 29 next to the now empty 150. x_x

Sorry to hear about your bichir that's awful :(

The bicher was a dream/nightmare right?? Didn't actually happen did it!?

Well I had a second rummy pass yesterday, but got an email from my LFS saying they got more in, so I did a pwc this morning and now have 6 more rummys acclimating (only got charged for 5 because one took a jump when being transferred to the bag, we'll see if it pulls through or not).

The new angel is also finally emerging from its hiding place more often, we'll see if it eats at feeding time this evening.

The bicher was a dream/nightmare right?? Didn't actually happen did it!?

It was just a nightmare. He/she is running around eating bloodworms right now.

Had a nap and proceeded to have another nightmare about aquariums...kept finding half alive damaged fish...what is WRONG with me??? lol

*no more pizza with everything x_x*

Lol! Sorry .. It was the pizza comment. My tank nightmares usually are about leaks or explosions! Could be cause I'm the one who resealed them. Glad your bicher is alive and gobbling up bloodworms :)

It was just a nightmare. He/she is running around eating bloodworms right now.

Had a nap and proceeded to have another nightmare about aquariums...kept finding half alive damaged fish...what is WRONG with me??? lol

*no more pizza with everything x_x*

I feel like a right fool now! Didn't read the nightmare bit whoops

Back
Top Bottom