What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking of maybe going with some Pure Red Line Shrimp aka PRL instead of CRS. Finally got some connections going for both actually.

Have been having a laugh and smiles from the Cory Melini juveniles, racing all over the tank and running up the side of the glass and "sliding" down into the airstones stream of bubbles and running back up the side and doing it all over again! Hilarious!!! Right now they look like they are playing tag!

Now in the other tank / QT, I fear the previous batch of Cories may have a parasite. The male guppy just died a couple days ago, and since his mate seemed to have it, I didn't see anything with his poo but have been pretty busy and will assume that was the same reason. Will be picking up some medicated food for them and hope for the best. I was so looking forward to them all together sooner than later.

I plan to clean out that tank and boil the rocks. Put everything else like plants and DW into isolation with no fish host, do a little more research and see if that will work. I have some liquid fenbendazole, might try a dose of that. (works for planaria)

All this time and I have never treated for parasites in my fish. Friend got me some medicated food but I haven't got to pick it up yet (kinda far away). I was planning on treating the Angels and Rainbows occassionally (whatever is recommended) as I understand worms and parasites can be an issue with them. Still too much to know, especially about medications!!!

Found the intake tube for the AC110 for the Rainbow tank, did a 40% pwc last night and the tank has started to clear after dumping in all the somewhat rinsed Eco complete from the 2 outside plant buckets. Added all the plants into the Rainbow tank. Almost all that was left were a few growing Java Ferns, a couple misc. plants and a little moss and a bunch of Elodea, plus the duckweed. I need a bunch more substrate for the rainbow tank. There wasn't nearly as much as I thought, unless there is another bucket I have hiding somewhere (maybe). So might have to buy something else.

Pwc on the 12G Cory Melini and 2 female Melanotaenia sexlineata Rainbows tank (the M are supposed to get red lips how funny is that, lol?!?) These two fish seem to still be stressed, I am hoping they will relax and that they aren't sick. Dependng which collection area they are from, they could be just striped and mostly yellow or the most awesome option if they are the yellow green at the tail and turn to blue at the front mid body to head. Location 'Kiunga' for that one. Fingers crossed. I am still looking to find out which ones from the seller (have to try and look it up with the membership list). Still thinking it is the golden one which is 'Tabubil'. (According to Gary Lange)

Last edited:
Found one more dead fish in Rainbow QT and didn't have the big light on them yesterday, just the dim one.

Today did 30% pwc and when I was done put the Current USA light on the tank so the plants would get better light and SURPRISE half of the fish in covered in ICH. On my way to work but dosed the tank with Coppersafe, will review the situation later but at least did something. Never used that meds for ICH, but was so worried they have had it already for awhile and just didn't see the specs. Maybe it wasn't bad before.

It is now!

Pulled out a few snails that I could see first. Checked the heater and it seemed to be working, upped the heat to 81F.

Last edited:
Discovered some new life among the live rock...

What did you find???????!!!!???
~~~~~~~

Got home and the Rainbow fish seem okay (I half expected to see them all floating belly up when I got back) was worried but there was little else I could do about it.

All fish in the 12G QT are alive. One little Black Emperor Tetra seems to shimmy once in awhile. I think I read that it is a parasite in the brain or nervous system. Worried about that too. Will be getting some medicated food asap. He's likely a gonner when it gets progressed to shimmy stage from what I read.

Pics coming in a day or few. New build coming soon too. Spent half an hour or more trying to get just a couple good shots. Camera runs too slow and fish run too fast... will get a few up though.

What did you find???????!!!!???
~~~~~~~

I'm not sure; still learning...

And I've been having some difficulties in uploading pictures from my iPad...

I keep trying...will get it done soon.

Works with my iPhone...go figure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 83
I'm not sure; still learning...

And I've been having some difficulties in uploading pictures from my iPad...

I keep trying...will get it done soon.

Works with my iPhone...go figure.

If you are talking about the little flowers things in the middle - look up Blue Star polyps or Green Star. Daisy Star or Pipe Organ. See if any look the same.
I can't see it too well from the pic.

~~~
Set up appointment for Saddleback Clown fish delivery Friday.

Moving some fish around today. Cleaning out a little Edge tank.

If you are talking about the little flowers things in the middle - look up Blue Star polyps or Green Star. Daisy Star or Pipe Organ. See if any look the same.
I can't see it too well from the pic.

Yeah; they're so tiny and it's difficult to get good pix with a cellphone.

They might be Blue or Green Star Polyps.

Thanks for pointing me in a good direction!

Watched my pink spotted watchman goby take down a hermit crab. When I moved some rocks around I found a bunch of empty shells that I didn't put there...bad goby bad!!
I was wondering why I have been missing so many hermits...

Did a 50%wc on my 20L sw tank
Another 50% wc on my 20L low tech tank

Yesterday I did a 25% wc on ny 75 FOWLR
Monday I did a 50%wc on my 29

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Watched my pink spotted watchman goby take down a hermit crab. When I moved some rocks around I found a bunch of empty shells that I didn't put there...bad goby bad!!
I was wondering why I have been missing so many hermits...

Did a 50%wc on my 20L sw tank
Another 50% wc on my 20L low tech tank

Yesterday I did a 25% wc on ny 75 FOWLR
Monday I did a 50%wc on my 29

Got some RCS in the mail, acclimated them and put them in the tank! I counted 15, thanks to the member who sent me them!

Got
Myself some nice treats! 3 different types of Buce!

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs
Cn

Treats are awesome!

Bad news here, lost another fish to Ich, my favorite male of the Turquoise Rainbows. Upping the temp 2 more Degrees tonight, its only 83F. Have the extra air pump running and need to take down the water level too, to increase O2. Sad. Though a couple fish don't look at all affected, no spots, hoping its going away.

Treats are awesome!

Bad news here, lost another fish to Ich, my favorite male of the Turquoise Rainbows. Upping the temp 2 more Degrees tonight, its only 83F. Have the extra air pump running and need to take down the water level too, to increase O2. Sad. Though a couple fish don't look at all affected, no spots, hoping its going away.

Sorry to hear that, Autumn. Hopefully you can kill off the ich before it gets anymore fish :(

I have to figure out the logistics of moving all of my aquariums 1.5 hours away when my car can't fit them in it..

Uhaul brother. Possibly Makes it 1 trip. Food for thought as i did this 2yrs ago.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm gonna clean the filter of my 30 gallon today in some tank water, then I'll do a partial water change this weekend. My tank has some algae eaters in it, a male and female swordtail aswell as a small rainbow shark that I am going to move to a larger, seperate tank. Gotta love that satisfying feeling when all the muck from your substrate is sucked up into the gravel siphon!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Uhaul brother. Possibly Makes it 1 trip. Food for thought as i did this 2yrs ago.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, but I need to have water mixed and ready for my salt water tank. It's gotta mix for a day. That and I gotta figure out what to do about substrate because it will nuke the tank if I pull my current substrate out and reuse it.

Yeah, but I need to have water mixed and ready for my salt water tank. It's gotta mix for a day. That and I gotta figure out what to do about substrate because it will nuke the tank if I pull my current substrate out and reuse it.

Can't you use mix it at the old house and then use a car battery powered pump to mix it on the way over to the new house? I bought one at Bass Pro Shops for filtering my minnow bin a few years ago.
How much substrate do you have right now? Is it possible to put the tank on a piece of 3/4" plywood to carry it to the vehicle and then to the new location?
Have you looked for any lfs that might be able to help you move? When my dad moved his reef years ago the lfs he went to helped him with it.

Can't you use mix it at the old house and then use a car battery powered pump to mix it on the way over to the new house? I bought one at Bass Pro Shops for filtering my minnow bin a few years ago.
How much substrate do you have right now? Is it possible to put the tank on a piece of 3/4" plywood to carry it to the vehicle and then to the new location?
Have you looked for any lfs that might be able to help you move? When my dad moved his reef years ago the lfs he went to helped him with it.

It's a 90g tank with 80 lbs of substrate. It's too risky to try and move it full of the substrate. The LFS idea is a good one though. I know the guy that runs the small salty LFS held a person's fish for a couple months. So that's a possibility.

It's a 90g tank with 80 lbs of substrate. It's too risky to try and move it full of the substrate. The LFS idea is a good one though. I know the guy that runs the small salty LFS held a person's fish for a couple months. So that's a possibility.

Hope it works out for you
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked in my 29 gallon and found my amano shrimp dead. I treated with hydrogen peroxide yesterday, but I didn't think I got to close to him. I'm going to be replacing him tomorrow, one part of my anti-algae crew that I don't want to go without.

Also added a 4" clay plate for my rams to spawn on

Called my LFS to inquire about adding baffles to my 20g long, so it'll be a proper sump.

Saw that tomorrow's paycheck is roughly $400 more than anticipated; so gonna make arrangements with LFS to bring 80lbs Hawai'ian Black plus 80g saltwater to get the cycle going. Had hoped to have it all running by the end of the month, so gonna miss my deadline by about a week. C'est la vie...

Discussed with my wife the need for better lighting, two heaters, and a decent skimmer; none of those are immediate needs but still must be addressed.

Christmas is on the horizon...wonder what Santa's gonna bring me; I think I've been a good boy this year...

Back
Top Bottom