What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fresh2O - woah. Why did you remove them? If this is the one in your DP I might just cry - it looked beautiful!

I finally got power back three hours later while I was eating dinner. I dropped my fork, ran to the tanks and put water in the filters. You know you're obsessed with your fish when you would rush to the filters before turning your dining room's lights on LOL

Its temporary. Going to pick through what I've removed and replant them. Different arrangement this time.
Shameless plug here
Ergghhh brown algae why?!?!?!?! Lol

b9a1d44cd85cb0df9bc2e51ebbcc0e55.jpg

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Drop checker getting lime green? I would cut back on the lighting.

Yeah.... This place has not helped my MTS issues. In fact I'm likely doubling my gallon count tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been here for about 5 years and I've resisted the urge and encouragement here (many enablers!)
I only have a shrimp tank, a planted tank, and a small QT/plant holding tank. I just don't put in the time to manage more tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Been dealing with an algae problem in the 20-long: within about 10 days, my lovely red alternanthera was overrun by green fuzz algae. :( I've started overdosing Excel gradually to control it while looking at longer term solutions.

I've also begun setting up an old 10g that I'm going to use as a grow-out tank for my platy fry (and to separate the adult males from the females). Ordered some equipment from Amazon, was disappointed to discover the Finnex Stingray clipon light, while a great light, didn't securely fit on rimmed tanks. It's clearly made for modern rimless tanks. So, I'm returning it for a refund and buying a Marineland LED instead.

Granted this is a grow-out tank and, when the "Platy problem" is solved, a quarantine tank, I still can't resist planting it. So, I bought 20lbs. of Caribsea Instant Aquarium Torpedo Beach Sand. With some Malaysian driftwood and a few crypts and anubias nana, I think I can get a nice aquascape. (My hope is the "Instant aquarium" sand plus squeezings from my existing filter will get the tank cycled quickly.)

Still dreaming of that 40-breeder with Black Ruby Barbs, too. :brows:

Also at work we order some bamboo shrimp got them today they were massive like the size of a crawfish

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Love my bamboo shrimp! My big guy is 4 inches now I've had him a while. Good luck with them :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

Blame it on us. This site is a lousy with MTS. It is highly contagious.

I had one and a grow out tank outside with no light or filters.

Now I have 2 additional 8g Biorbs.

Yep, I do blame this place lol so many beautiful bettas! My hubby has said no more ? so this will have to be the last, well at the moment ?

30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.

View attachment 288575
Received my pleco hide for Finlay he's already in it!

What a smart fish!

mez5Q3Dh.jpg
This is NOT a dirted tank but it certainly is dirty!

YIKES - You scared me a good one! That is a mess, lol!!! It is because with all those plants we really can't vac the bottom anymore. Which reminds me I need to clean my filter and vac the bare spots.

Even after all these crazy rescapes (and scaring me like you do) your tank comes out beautiful.

~~~~~~~~

Well where do I begin. A big box store had Tetras for 1.00. I bought 16 Neons, one died. The person getting the fish was swiping around the tank like a wild maniac for 30 minutes at least for them and maybe 15-20 for the 8 Glowlight Tetras (not glofish). I was surprised any of them were alive this morning, as mentioned there was one dea tonight he'd looked a little dazed after being caught.

There is one cranky Angelfish chasing off other fish he is annoyed at for getting near his space (which might be anywhere in the tank.) No where seems to be safe now.

I just saw him attack the smallest Angel juvenile and cause it to nearly die of a heart attack (kinda half floated around the tank sideways as well as the bite it probably got from him.

A couple other fish were getting a bit antsy.

There is gonna be a change (nothing like Fresh2O :lol:).

Decided to move the Angels, Odessa Barbs and the Opaline Gourami and probably after getting it set up the Spotted Rafael cat giant monster fish to the 46F bowfront.

Was going to get rid of that tank but figured I would rather move the big fish over there. (shellyx - MTS is spreading still) I kept thinking it wasn't big enough but it will be fine for a little while to see if rest of the tankmates find harmony.

All the Tetras will go into the 72G.

I tried to find the Cardinals for a good price anywhere but not yet - still looking. I think I'd like to have about 50 Neons / Cardinals. I moved the male Guppies into the 72G. So far they are being very good at hiding in the Tape Grass which is pooling around the top/surface area and is wider (~1.5") than the Guppies.

It seems that the big fish are prejudice against Guppies and are all now annoyed that they are there in the tank. The plan is to move them in the next couple days.

I might need to put a divider in the tank until they get settled. Well I was feeling like a change was due, and this was the catalyst.

Got a good pic of a couple of the Guppies because they weren't moving!

60074-albums14573-picture70496.jpg

The close up of it
60074-albums14573-picture70499.jpg

Also I found that my SW Pompom Crab has eggs. Orange mass.
60074-albums14401-picture70498.jpg

60074-albums14401-picture70497.jpg

I also fed the tank a little more than usual / a pinch of tiny fry food due to the large pod population in the Chaeto ball ans because the Pompom Crab was out filtering last night.

Last edited:
Got a good pic of a couple of the Guppies because they weren't moving!

60074-albums14573-picture70496.jpg

The close up of it
60074-albums14573-picture70499.jpg

Also I found that my SW Pompom Crab has eggs. Orange mass.
60074-albums14401-picture70498.jpg

60074-albums14401-picture70497.jpg

I also fed the tank a little more than usual / a pinch of tiny fry food due to the large pod population in the Chaeto ball ans because the Pompom Crab was out filtering last night.

Beautiful looking guppies Autumn! Really love those markings, your crab is cute. I was looking at the marine inverts yesterday at my lfs so many different species.

Ended up doing a 20G pwc on the 72G - only to find out that I had a dead fish and that most of them were gasping at the top of the tank this morning. Well I freaked a little and found a air bubbler and was checking the tank, the pump had almost no flow coming in from the filter. I unhooked it and took it apart and found that 2 little pieces of the filter pad cubes I made for the filter basket, escaped the basket somehow - they stack into each other so not too sure how that happened.

Anyhow, they were plugging the tube plus the filter was dirty and needed a clean anyway. Perfect storm nightmare. The water was barely moving.

Had work today so hurried to complete the FX-5 filter clean. Thankfully it restarted without having to remove and clean the motor and impeller. Fish seem better tonight but not perfect. Added calcium and a little bit of baking soda. We have to do some more water changes because the gunk in the tubes flooded into the tank and made the water quality even worse.

I guess that was the reason for the agitated fish last night - not the Guppies per se. More pwc for me tonight. Poor fish.

Didn't have any Epsom Salt anymore - all used by someone in the house for baths :/

So made a after midnight run to the store for some (was told [in a friendly way]in the parking lot by the inhabitant of the vehicle next to mine that my dog who was barking at him as he was loading and getting into his car - who rode with me to the store since it is the only cool time in summer, could be a snack for his snake - 18 feet that recently ate a piglet.) That's disturbing!!!

Remembering what my mom told me when I was a child - Don't talk to strangers!!! So I hopped in the car and left quickly!!!!! :eek:

Having to calculate tsp to cups as I rather not need to scoop out 72 tsp / 1.5C.

Combining that with the hot water then the cold water till tank temp and treat w/my new big bottle of Prime I had to buy today. This will be the concentrate & will add over the next 24 hours. Water already treated with the calcium and a tiny amount of baking soda.

After the last 1/3rd pwc fish seem hungry and much more active. No food till tomorrow.

Though I discovered a few more dead bodies. :(

Wondering what the aftermath will bring in sick fish from this dangerous episode. :nono:

The reason for the minerals is the low KH.

Treating a max dose of Prime. Hoping for no more dead in the AM.

There was one dead fish but he looked like it was dead from yesterday, an SAE. So lost 2 of the 4.

All the Rainbows are gone - gut wrenching. But have to move on, I can't make them magically reappear.

The 6 male Cobra Guppies are happily schooling at the upper part of the tank like the previous pic. They have a pretty metallic streak through the center of them and from the top a nice green one too. They are perfect for the top of the tank, little sparks of flashing color.

Over all so far lost the pair of Boesemani and the Turquoise Rainbow trio 1 or 2 Glowlight Tetras and the 2 SAE. Maybe a Pleco. I can't find one but there are many hiding places so I will just continue to watch and see.

Thinking we are on the road to recovery now.

This morning did a 60G pwc on the 72G trouble tank / tried to use the drainvalve on the FX5 filter and it didn't work. I reread the info on it an I might know the problem. Plus I couldn't find the connector for the thing and was trying to hold the hose on, thinking it would only tank about 7 min. but that just didn't work. So I just got my work out and powered through that unending cycle of 5G buckets.

Trimmed a couple plants of dead leaves, knocked some plants out of their spots, wiped the inside lower glass before refilling. Remineralized the pwc water for the KH. I still have some Nitrites so I extra dosed Prime and need to go to the hardware store for a connector frankenstein assembly type thing. Physically I can't really do another 50 gallons by hand today.

Fish seem better, not gasping anymore.

I added a DW with Bolbitis + extra piece of Bolbitis about a foot long as well from the 72G over to the 46G Guppy Tetra QT and the Tetras especially brightened up and are already enjoying it. Have 2 fat momma Guppies and expecting some babies soon. Going to move a handfull of water lettuce and one of floating Wisteria over there for the babies.

Used the pwc water to water some plants and refill the plant holding outside buckets. If I have some time I will check to see if the Daphnia is doing. I have some green water growing for them.

Hope that is all the excitement I get for the day.

Last edited:
Did the usual 20% water change, then dosed with liquid fertilizers. Upped the Excel to 3ml from two to see if it helps retard the algae.

Also experimented with administering 2-3ml of hydrogen peroxide to a patch of green beard algae to see if it would help eliminate it. I won't likely be able to judge for 24-48 hours, but the baby platys sure liked chasing the oxygen bubbles it produced. :lol:

PWC and took a few more plants out of pots. Waiting for it all to clear and the sun to go down. Then I will assume my chair/viewing position.

Well, my new betta arrived safely yesterday ? got him settled in.
Had to go to my lfs and buy yet another filter, one I bought was far too big and the other blew him across the tank! So after so Much stress all is working great!
I have another super red longfin bristlenose arriving on Friday hopefully, found a breeder so keeping my fingers crossed!
Gonzos doing fine. Weather is hot here and so are my tank's Grrr
1471434387871.jpg1471434408651.jpg1471434426438.jpg
Meet jaffa cake ?

Well, my new betta arrived safely yesterday ? got him settled in.
Had to go to my lfs and buy yet another filter, one I bought was far too big and the other blew him across the tank! So after so Much stress all is working great!
I have another super red longfin bristlenose arriving on Friday hopefully, found a breeder so keeping my fingers crossed!
Gonzos doing fine. Weather is hot here and so are my tank's Grrr
View attachment 288710View attachment 288711View attachment 288712
Meet jaffa cake ?

Hurray you found a place to get a SR BN Pleco! What a beauty is Jaffa Cake too. Lovely coloration.

~~~~~

Well after a couple of stressful days with the tank and having Nitrites and a little more than preferred Nitrates from kicking up too much gunk in the substrate. The jumbo pwc and the happy BB and clean canister filter made a difference and everything is peaceable in the 72G kingdom once again.

Will need to put together an order of Hikari freeze dried and pelleted foods, I am pretty much out of several of my staples and was also using some flake foods, which probably didn't help my water quality. Considering ordering a half gallon/2ltr od Prime or pond Prime.

I love Angelfish so much - beautiful to watch - until they start fighting with each other. I know the type of fish they are but darn do I wish they were a little sweeter.

Hoping the Neons stay well so I can add them into the 72G soon.

Momma Guppies are looking squared so maybe soon!

Moving some floating plants into their tank tonight.

Still doing some thinking about shifting around fish. After the QT.

The tiny baby White Cloud Mountain Minnows are now getting bigger with grown up color so pretty soon they can move to the other tank.

During feeding was able to ID all 3 original short fin Albino BN,

plus the 2 Albino long finned Green Dragon ones, one is called Angel because the pectoral fins are bowed out and look like angel wings, and the other just has pretty fins so been referring to as Beauty. Don't really have hard and fast names for the fish in general.

and the two different colored tail Green Dragons - one has a white margin on the end of his tail - my freebie/gift, and a deep all green one, the breeders pick for a nice fish, beautiful flowing fins.

Happy none died in the tank incident!!!

Thank you Autumn and Barliman! His color is beautiful the pic's don't do him justice ?

7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

First 50 % clean on my new bettas tank, it was great only took me 10mins lol He's doing great :)
Pwc on my boraras tank all fine in there. Didn't receive my 2nd super red bristlenose person took money but didn't send it I'm furious! Guy that I got first one off got a batch in so he's sending me one out for Wednesday such a carry on.
Been looking for a while for a new tank for Gonzo he's 10 inches now and I feel he needs something bigger. Found a new jewel brand and including stand etc 68gallon. Just concerned about moving him, would be putting my old media into the filter, so we'll see need to think about it.

7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom