What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Explosions in growth, yes. Any others, nope.

The only issue I had with pressure and DIY CO2 was when I used a glass Erlenmeyer flask and rubber stopper for the yeast trap/bubble counter. Glass cracked. Replaced it with a plastic bottle (more forgiving). I did NOT use a ceramic diffuser because of the back pressure it created.
Yesterday I wrestled with drop checkers.

Agreed. Nice looking and texture. Yay for phone camera upgrades!

Added some minerals and water from evap. Morning will bring water changes. Critters seem alive and doing alright. I am getting nervous because a tank change is coming soon but since I will be out of town in the near future I might wait as no one can be watching for things/issues if there is a problem. Might be moving a few more fish, still thinking it over.

Have been doing more reading about fish and tank ideas/changes for the tanks.
Lol I got 5 more MPs than my older phone makes a big difference can't really afford a galaxy s7 which take some really nice pics my boss has one here at work for when he advertises for our corals we sell

Did a fast pwc on the 72G today of just under 28G and on the 46G, did a 5G.

A couple days ago I added a brand new 100ml bag of Purigen (with I got for around 1.50 from the auction Yipee-deal!!!)

Also can't remember if I mentioned it but I got a glass only tank part from a Fluval Edge 6.6G also from the auction and spent $4. on it.

No leaks or chips, just a line of SW hardened evap calcium and salt. Gave it a quick rinse and loaded it up.

Decided to use it for the SW Chaeto and Macro Algae excess I will be trimming up the next week or so now that I have somewhere to put it. Also had a few nano tank SW live rock I had been keeping in a container and adding SW pwc water and fresh water for evap to it each week. One less container to deal with ( or one less AND one more ?!? :angel:. Of course I put a light on top for the plants to grow.

Pretty happy about it, I'll probably buy some additonal pods to liven things up. Maybe a couple mangrove tree seedlings to come out the top. This doesn't really qualify as a real tank right/. Just a holder for plants....??? :eek:

Thinking it is time to do another canister filter clean out and vac the heck out of the substrate. Pretty sure it is a mess under there, probably why the nitrates keep crawling up. Maybe get another box of ceramic rings, I don't know if the plastic type stars media is doing enough.

Needing to shop for a new light for the shrimp tank it really isn't bright enough for the plants. My Anubias Pinto isn't getting its Pinto spots on the new leaves. I may move one of the 2 chunks to the other nano fiah tank to see it there is any improvement. The shrimp don't appreciate bright light anyhow!

Oh yeah, I can tell you about diy co2 explosions, so can my tank, cabinet, carpet, walls, window, tv and ceiling, but I found baking soda and citric acid much easier to work with
My husband, who is a welder, has taken it upon himself to build a system.

I'm researching plants right now and realizing that the people at my lfs must just stick plant ID tags wherever looks reasonable.

Unexpected company arriving tomorrow so everything will get a quick wipe down and refill for evap and put away all the fish supplies I was leisurely observing as I got them out. Was about to clean out the fish tank supply closet and put up a new shelf....maybe Monday.

I am moving a metal shelf in there and adding little shoe box organizer containers with some additional misc. moving over onto the big shelf that is already there. Moving out some household supplies to the garage on the recently added storage shelf there to make more room.

Last time I cleaned it out I used bigger boxes which made it easy to pile stuff on top and impossible to find stuff I knew I had "somewhere" and couldn't get to it as the amount of stuff which fit into the box was so crowded it seemed all the stuff I was looking for was missing. It's a dark closet / poor lighting toward the edges/corners.

At least most of it is separated by type of stuff like filters and pumps and heaters and med/supplements, testing kit supplies, etc!

Maybe later a lighting upgrade for the utility closet! LOL.

I moved maybe 16 Japanese trapdoor snails to the 10 gallon guppy tank, along with the mama, a baby rabbit snail, and the mature rabbit snail I suspect is laying eggs. And I see another baby in the community tank....

I resent the gourami and ram for picking on the mothers making it so that they can't be in the community tank. They are not snack machines!

Edited to add:
I took my daughter to a "fish nerd" place. They have a very nice set up. Very clean. Fish always look healthy. Except today they all looked really young. Like way too young. Like sizes smaller than coins young. It really freaked me out and I had to leave.

No way, did I even come close to cleaning out the fish supply closet! (other stuff but not that).

Trying to get a few larger fish rehomed and waiting to see if a neighboring hobbyist is going to take them or not.

Came home tonight and found that the plastic breeder net box fell apart and the fry escaped, the Paradise fish was hanging around and looking in the net so I am pretty sure I know what happend to some of them. I saw one but it was a good hider and every time I got close it darted away in the DW or plant roots.

The other thing that was in there was the tiny Buce starts and 2 are still there but the other 2 parts are somewhere else. ??? Also the hand full of Riccia was rolling around the tank loose and tiny bits of it are everywhere now, quite a mess.

Was inspired by a friend/hobbyist to feed some organic salad greens (blanched, mostly spinach) and it is still floating / not anywhere near the Ancistrus. Also gave a little to the Ramshorn snails and the 46G a leaf don't think the Platy will eat it.

Yesterday picked out a bunch of Clado Algae from the 12G Edge tank in the tangles of Guppy Grass and the DW and the top of the heater and stuck in the intake (only one without a sponge or prefilter) all the time I am picking out floating plants from it. The masses of GG made the tank look like a huge (hot) mess. Moved them off to the side a bit, looks like a little more swimming area.

Today filled for evap SW nano and 11.4G and the 12G. And the 6.6G Edge glass algae "vase" - I did notice that I still have the other 6.6G Edge on the supply shelf in the closet. One more vase. :brows:

My actual 2.5G big bowl vase, after knocking the lightwith the lid, I bumped a container of fish food which went flying up in the air and smacking down JUST right and made a crack so I think I might just use the other 6.6G Edge as a FW Vase for moss and plants - prettier than the orange HD bucket or the opaque cat litter tub outside with summer plants.

Need to figure out how to best light the cube for plants from the lower back as well as the top.

60% PWC and vacuum in the 8g Biorb for my son. Some blue green algae has popped up and I have never had it before. Someone gave me some silk plants and I suspect.... oh well now is the time to treat it but still trying to decide the best course. I gently removed all the affected items and the rinsed them well in a bucket of old tank water. A lot of it came off. That and the water change things look normal at the moment.

I am considering a UV treatment and a peroxide one, but I need to figure out how to dose. Also going to add a bubbler to move the water a bit more. If all of that fails the last resort will be the erythromycin. I hate to lose my beneficial bacteria. [emoji24]

60% PWC and vacuum in the 8g Biorb for my son. Some blue green algae has popped up and I have never had it before. Someone gave me some silk plants and I suspect.... oh well now is the time to treat it but still trying to decide the best course. I gently removed all the affected items and the rinsed them well in a bucket of old tank water. A lot of it came off. That and the water change things look normal at the moment.

I am considering a UV treatment and a peroxide one, but I need to figure out how to dose. Also going to add a bubbler to move the water a bit more. If all of that fails the last resort will be the erythromycin. I hate to lose my beneficial bacteria. [emoji24]

So you think there is a reason to be tired?!?

~~~~~

So hard to decide how to treat the gunk, maybe need the water to get moving a little more - flow!

Came home tonight and found that the plastic breeder net box fell apart and the fry escaped, the Paradise fish was hanging around and looking in the net so I am pretty sure I know what happend to some of them.

It was the napkin he was wearing and the knife and fork that gave him away, wasn't it?

Paradise fish are lovely. I'd like to own some one day. :fish1:

Perhaps again the rubber suction cup from the glass.
This rubber holds only the first 14 days, then thin wire must be attached for safety. Whether heater, thermometer, pump, everywhere the same.

It was the napkin he was wearing and the knife and fork that gave him away, wasn't it?

Paradise fish are lovely. I'd like to own some one day. :fish1:

Why yes that was how I knew!

He is lovely but a rescue fish and didn't really think through that he might fight with my other fish Opaline Gourami. Haven't put them together to find out yet or maybe ever. hmmmm??? Thinking it over still.

~~~~~~~~

Thanks Arthur.

~~~~~~~~

This morning before work found that 2 of the SW Rock Flower Anemones had hiked pretty far to the back of the tank at least I only could see one in the mass of Macro Algae in the rush of turning on all the lights. The look of the macroalgaes all around the live rock looks pretty cool imo. I know it is pest type stuff on 2 of the varieties, but that is really neat. Cautious appreciation, lol. I think I want to find a few more live rocks for the new SW tank going to set up in a week or 2 so that the Macro Algae ones can stay in the Macro Algae 6.6G excess MA tank...ur um...vase.

That makes me think I need a new table credenza type thing to hold my "vases" :whistle: I am feeling pretty positive about doing some tank moving and rescapes here after my out of town trip next week. I also plan to scout out some interesting fish store shops to check out on the trip.

Really the primary thing I want is some nice substrate for my new shrimp tank. But won't be able to resist some great looking rocks and types of woods if they happen into my path. :brows:

Main thing I need to do is hook up my light timers for the tanks. Hmm.

Lost Blue today and just heartsick. Did a 60% pwc and vacuum. Moved things around a bit. IMG_1478910053.973044.jpg

Buce has been in the tank for 3 months and has been putting on leaves. Java and Anubias are doing great.

Lost Blue today and just heartsick. View attachment 290852

Hey there. Last night I was just admiring the pic of him you recently posted where he looked like he was photo bombing and showing off his spunky attitude.

Geez that kinda thing hurts, and I know he will be missed, those guys are part of our daily lives and we really get attatched and love them - and miss them.

I am sorry he's gone.

~~~~~~

Heading off to be gone for around a week. Left 4x6 index cards at each tank and instructions and little Dixie cups with which type of food on each tank so the other non fish keeper people can take care of them.

Trimmed some Macro Algae away from the area where the Rock Flower Anemones live and keep settling in, in different spots. Put it in the MA overflow Vase.

The small fancy RFA just moved out from under the big guys shadow. Now in the middle of the sand area.

Added calcium and minerals to the SW nano. Have been noticing that my lettuce Nudibranch loves to sit under the light I am guessing where it is warm. Saw it eating Macro Algae from what I could tell, the other night. (y) Hoping it is happy in there as I really love it.

I made organic baby lettuces ice cubes to feed the snails in the bucket and Plecos in the 72G.

Added the Pleco clay cave I got at the auction a couple weeks ago to the 72G. Facing to the glass so I can watch whoever moves in. Hoping big Mister Albino (big) Bristles bushynose - he seems like the type to guard a cave as he is a couple years old now. If he might end up with an actual mate we shall decide what will be done at that point. There are 2 adult Albino females the same age.

Saw one SAE checking it out in there. In he went and then decided in a moment of panic he couldn't really turn around once in there, so shimmied out backwards - fast! That's it for the moment. Will be watching how everyone is doing even if I don't /can't comment :).

Back
Top Bottom