What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tried finding an electric sander plus a saw so I can finally clean and size the wood for both of my 10 gallons.

I did a rescape of my Cube tank today, and mixed up the decorations I have in with Buck. Took out the plastic grass tunnel and replaced it with a small cichlid cave, 5 inches diameter and 7 inches tall I am guesstimating...Looks something like this:
8726.jpg

I rearranged the gravel I got in there so it slopes from the left side down to the right to add some variation...I've found that Buck likes it when I mess around with even stuff like that.

Oh, I also managed to make a quick trip to a LFS place and grabbed a single portion of Duckweed. I really like the looks of most water plants and I figured what better way to start my entrance into trying that out then with a weed...I'm liking the look of it so far and I think Buck is liking the addition as well. Here is hoping my Black Thumb of Gardening Doom doesn't extend to killing water plants too.

Lol. that last statement though.

Well, did another WC last night. Water testing went over well, and I feel pretty good about how clean the tank looks currently. Duckweed is not doing well though, but I am spotting bright green dots of plant material floating in the tank. I think those are seeds, so here's hoping they germinate soon and don't die. Looks like I have some research on a water weed to do today.

Well, did another WC last night. Water testing went over well, and I feel pretty good about how clean the tank looks currently. Duckweed is not doing well though, but I am spotting bright green dots of plant material floating in the tank. I think those are seeds, so here's hoping they germinate soon and don't die. Looks like I have some research on a water weed to do today.
Duckweed died? Did it get submerged somehow?

Duckweed died? Did it get submerged somehow?
Yeah, when I got it from the LFS some of it got submerged in the baggie. I'm assuming since you brought it up that this might have killed those particular duckweeds, right? If so, than the plants that are still alive and green at this point would be the plants that didn't get submerged and will hopefully repopulate my tank right? Thanks for pointing this out. :)

Duckweed about as tough as it gets lol. I would be amazed if in 90 days your not trying to give away 50lb sacks of it lol

Well, here is hoping. My twin brother and I have both had difficulties trying to raise plants...so long as we are trying to do so indoors. Raise plants outdoors, no problems whatsoever. I've had hibiscus do really well outside, managed to get it to last to late Fall. Try to raise really hardy plants, like my brother's cactus, indoors and somehow the cactus will get too much water and deflate on itself.

Here is hoping that the Duckweed is as successful as everyone thinks it will be. I have a couple of plastic containers, ones I use to hold my WC water as it dechlorinates, set up to hold any excess, if the duckweed is that successful. I have a LFS I am hoping will buy it off me. ;)

Last edited:
So finished sanding and painting the tank stand, added cabinet knob I bought at home depot.
IMG_20170125_150950.jpg

This is the finished product I like it better then the Staind wood look. I don't know if I Wana make a canopy. Prolly not[emoji2]
a75a7a601636214495b7429be4dfd5ff.jpg
bf1c04cba6175ee1ccdbcd710312323d.jpg

I have 35 lbs of fluval stratum I ordered online. Was only 65 an 17.5lb bag of stratum at my LFS is 54.99. so thank you amazon and I have the finnex 24/7 SE as well. I say about 2 to 3 weeks, I will start a post of the Mr aqua 17.1

So finished sanding and painting the tank stand, added cabinet knob I bought at home depot.
View attachment 293824

This is the finished product I like it better then the Staind wood look. I don't know if I Wana make a canopy. Prolly not[emoji2]
a75a7a601636214495b7429be4dfd5ff.jpg
bf1c04cba6175ee1ccdbcd710312323d.jpg

I have 35 lbs of fluval stratum I ordered online. Was only 65 an 17.5lb bag of stratum at my LFS is 54.99. so thank you amazon and I have the finnex 24/7 SE as well. I say about 2 to 3 weeks, I will start a post of the Mr aqua 17.1

Looks good

Very nice job. Is it gloss?
Yea it is lol heres it is in the extra room or man cave some what lol
34c3e3874ea0a5f81ad6a05a7244fb87.jpg

Trying to get it leveled, but I jus realised one of the mats is thinner than the other well, now I got order one from Amazon

Looked at Bloody Mary Shrimp today, kinda like them. They could live with my Tangerine Tigers...maybe on them. It is funny that previously I only wanted every kind of Neo shrimp and now it is every Caridina - Can't keep the 2 same kinds together or they cross breed and often the Neo and the Caridina parameters aren't quite the same. Especially not the same for serious high quality breeding tank.

Ordered a 9L bag of Amazonia for the new shrimp tank from Aqua Forest Amano. Less $$ including shipping than the other place I was going to get it from.

Found someone about 2 hours away (one way trip) who is selling some of their stock of PRL and will be checking into this further.

Divided the new bags of foods bought Monday because I dropped about 250-300 little Hikari Sinking wafers on the floor and while picking them up remembered why I usually divide the packs. I am clumsy and drop them. After counting 100 wafers it seemed was only 1/3rd the way finished. :headbang:

Looked at Bloody Mary Shrimp today, kinda like them. They could live with my Tangerine Tigers...maybe on them. It is funny that previously I only wanted every kind of Neo shrimp and now it is every Caridina - Can't keep the 2 same kinds together or they cross breed and often the Neo and the Caridina parameters aren't quite the same. Especially not the same for serious high quality breeding tank.

Love Bloody Marys! ❤️

Where do you order your shrimp from out of curiosity?

Redid this 60 gallon heavily planted tank to include some land plants. Plants do an infinitely better job of taking care of the water chemistry than I can, even with all the weekly water changes I've done over the last decade or so.

B

img_3407552_0_b0ffe270c3b6b7bb1d37625140e53336.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3407552_1_b0ffe270c3b6b7bb1d37625140e53336.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved some fish around to different tanks and I'm making my main 10 gallon into a community.

Image1485490988.105171.jpg
Image1485491035.125905.jpgImage1485491053.823428.jpg

Love Bloody Marys! ❤️

Where do you order your shrimp from out of curiosity?

Well I usually get them locally - so far anyhow from hobbyists, have been searching all around and just started looking at the Bloody Mary shrimp.

Tgoeshrimp.com dude is semi local to me and a member of the local fish club. Dude has over 100 shrimp tanks in his house. Amazing setup.

Ah, just saw that last night, looks VERY impressive (y) Wish I could get a tour...but too far away!

~~~
Just worked a lot, but not on the tanks.

Checked for tissue culture plants at the lfs, but there was nothing in good condition, last night. Have to try another in the next couple days.

Now the hard part begins.

What is the new scape plan going to be?

Lost one of my oldest snails in my main tank yesterday. My biological filtration is awesome but did a 40% PWC just in case. Also did an under gravel cleaning in the Biorb. This basically meant taking it apart and putting it back together with about 1/2 of its old cleanest water, plants etc. Those sponges definitely needed a good rinse in to old tank water to get all the old crap out of there.

Back
Top Bottom