What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I broke down the 10g that had been the platy grow-out tank: tossed the substrate, cleaned out everything else, now trying to decide what it will become. I've kept bettas in a 10g before and I'm not all that interested in invertebrates, so I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I've been toying with a lightly-planted low-light, low-tech tank with java fern and crypts, and maybe two small schools: microdevario kubotai and corydoras habrosus. :fish2:

Nothing too exciting, water changes all around. My fish with the eye injury is on what I think is day 9 of his stay in sick bay with 50% daily PWC but his eye only looks slightly better, although it doesn't look infected. Will give it more time I guess. Visited a couple local Petcos to scout out the dollar-per-gallon sale, overheard employees giving customers bad fish advice, was sad but not surprised. My current place of employment is closing this week and I'm almost thinking of applying there until I can find something better because I'd like to give people decent advice. Not sure if it'd be worth the stress of working in an environment that seems to encourage incorrect advice?

Lost my beautiful male Discus. He was dead when I came home. This morning he looked better. Heart broken.

Got a new big plastic plant and a new air pump and diffuser set up, for the QT.

While at the lfs got some Brine Shrimp.

Bought some weights and floats to make a hiding screen out of needle point plastic mesh for the Discus in QT.

Fed all the fish.

Have to clean out the meds in the QT tank.

Moved the Gourami back to the 46G.

Lost my beautiful male Discus. He was dead when I came home. This morning he looked better. Heart broken.

Got a new big plastic plant and a new air pump and diffuser set up, for the QT.

While at the lfs got some Brine Shrimp.

Bought some weights and floats to make a hiding screen out of needle point plastic mesh for the Discus in QT.

Fed all the fish.

Have to clean out the meds in the QT tank.

Moved the Gourami back to the 46G.
Sorry to hear about discus. I saw how excited you were.

Are discus still wild caught. I know years ago it was big money to get a tank raised one.

Stated from the previous owner, the breeder had wild caught fish and these were raised from babies from his wild ones. Unknown if they were F1 or others from down the line.

The original breeder was a author of some fish book, also unknown name, His name was said but I will be darned if I can recall. He lived in Northern Colorado when they were babies.

The breeding has advanced tremendously along with most other fish in the hobby.

There are still wild caught fish I saw some at the lfs last week. They were not as expensive as many of the fancy ones. And there were some fancies which were a really good price (for Discus). Comparing them pricing for sizes.

Got the lone Discus back into the 29G QT tank after cleaning. The tank is covered on back and sides with some kind of coating like heavy duty contact paper (but isn't that). But it is light colored. So added a dark colored pillow case so she could hide and feel more comfortable. Also have been seeing her swim back and forth, maybe ate her wafers.

Put together the new air pump, 2 down to one tube, valve with tubing and connectors and airstone. Hoping.

Ammonia and nitrite spiked in Betta tank cycling coming along well

Heard somewhere that if you bleached your sand it would never come out again.......my sand was in my tank when I sterilized it by soaking overnight with a cup of bleach in it (29 gallon)
I then spent 4 days doing water changes with unmeasured, massive doses of Prime....no bleach smell when I rebuilt the tank

Is it ruined?? What affect is it going to have on the Betta???

Cleaned my Fluval fx4 tubing and put new Purigen media in filter. Did a 50% wc due to ammonia showing .25%. Now all good.

Spent my day in a mad rush, finished work to come home and found the strangest thing... my dwarf gourami had been biting my angelfish's eye and it was bleeding so set up a hospital tank and moved him to be treated and recover

CO2 system

Finally got the CO2 system up and running. Have a Saga inline diffuser. Milwaukee regulator. 5lb bottle. Injecting right after the return pump @ 1bubble/sec to start. Will check the drop checker in a few hours to see how things are going.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 30
Finally got the CO2 system up and running. Have a Saga inline diffuser. Milwaukee regulator. 5lb bottle. Injecting right after the return pump @ 1bubble/sec to start. Will check the drop checker in a few hours to see how things are going.
Nice looking rig.

Back
Top Bottom