What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last 2 nights was getting the pouty look from the shy Discus, so finally got around to dishing out the Beef heart defrosted cubes for all the fish.

Told her I will try harder not to miss the "every other day" scheduled food deal we made at the beginning... Darn fish. Getting bossed around by a fish!!! Sheesh.

She looks so much happier now...

Last 2 nights was getting the pouty look from the shy Discus, so finally got around to dishing out the Beef heart defrosted cubes for all the fish.

Told her I will try harder not to miss the "every other day" scheduled food deal we made at the beginning... Darn fish. Getting bossed around by a fish!!! Sheesh.

She looks so much happier now...

Big eyed pouty fish lips are impossible to say no to. That's even worse that the frantic swimming like I'm starving tactic.

Big eyed pouty fish lips are impossible to say no to. That's even worse that the frantic swimming like I'm starving tactic.

She just sits at the corner of the tank hauntingly staring...Pond is now covered in plants, mostly Duck Weed hahaha. Need to do maintenance this weekend. Also want to find a home for a few fish to locals and just can't seem to get fish people, fear un-aware people on CL.

Also I need to rehome about 10 of 15 young Platties.

And I am on the edge - leaning to rehoming the egg laying pair of Koi Angels too. Maybe someone else will have time for their ever loving egg laying adventures. They are laying eggs again. I can see the careful leaf cleaning & preparation.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Craigslist. I rehomed my Denison's last year. I charged the same price as the fish store but my fish were 3x as big. eBay has also been great for me.

I find that if people have no idea what they are doing, they go to the big box store to buy. Or they look for freebies. If they are a seasoned fish person they are willing to pay a bit or trade for something they want.

I've had good luck with Craigslist. I rehomed my Denison's last year. I charged the same price as the fish store but my fish were 3x as big. eBay has also been great for me.

I find that if people have no idea what they are doing, they go to the big box store to buy. Or they look for freebies. If they are a seasoned fish person they are willing to pay a bit or trade for something they want.

Good point maybe this next week I will get some pics and post them. To busy atm.

```
Watching the egg laying, cleaning and fertilizing of the Koi Angels eggs right this minute.

Moved some snail eggs into the pond. Fish seem to be settling in and no further deaths for 2 weeks now. :dance: I was really at the giving up stage. Tryng to recall what on earth I did with the other pond pump. Haven't used it for around 3 years now and it wasn't in the shed... It seems the Rosy Minnows would like faster moving water.

Half way through summer!!! Wondering if I will ever see any fry.

Doing water changes and wiping the glass and inside rims today. Found some gunky food build up last night on the 72G, so a good reminder to wipe inside once in a while. It's been awhile.

Just did my maintenance on my "big" tank. A whole 29g. This week includes my canister clean out and hoses. Tossing out sponges full with BB feels like sacrilege. But they are at that point where it is time. Asking my hubbie to inspect hose connections so I save my self for leaking. Lol

Last edited:
Today I did a 10% water change for Mr. Sunshine, although he really doesn't need it. I emptied the 5 or so gallons of water with low levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nirate from his 55 gallon, and put them into the fishless 10 gallon that still needs cycling. I figure the added ammonia will be helpful.

I started feeling liberal about the 10 gallon tank today...
(especially seeing as there's no fish in it.)

I poured in an old bottle of tetrafin bacteria that my land lord hard given me, but in two piece of drift wood that I had gotten free with my Craigslist tank, and tested the two heaters I got in the same way...

I'm hoping the added heat will help bacteria grow, along with the old bottled bacteria that I hope isn't bad.

In a bucket, I'd seen the wood release tannins and become tea-like... we'll see what happens now. Driftwood is too expensive for me to buy, but I love love love love LOVE the look... I'd love to utilize these two pieces...

I also went with my bf to the fish store to stare at sunburst platys, and wag tail sunbursts... I love them, and picture them in this 10 gallon :)

Set up the 10G again as a platy-raising nursery and added a sponge filter to complement the AC20. Should be enough filtration (along with water changes) for a tank overcrowded with platys. I've decided to get rid of them all via re-homing to the LFS. I simply don't have the room to play platy-rancher.

Also fixed one problem with the new CO2 system on the 20-long, only to find another. However, I think I'm already seeing pearling and accelerated plant growth.

Also finally made my own fish food: I had a sample of Dr. Tim's BeneFishAl food via My Aquarium Box, so decided to give it a try. We'll seed how the fish like it.

I rebuilt our Spec after a mystery die-off. I put an airstone in thinking a lack of oxygen may have been a contributing factor, but the pump is insanely loud.

After being away from home for a few days, I'm looking forward to doing some gardening this afternoon.

Working on maintenance still and pwc for the week - ugh!

Angelfish eggs are mostly white about 1/4-1/3 only good. So the male seems to be not doing a very good job or not very potent. I will make this last (halfhearted) effort to see if I can get any babies. Then the couple needs to go.

Need to reconfigure the fish tanks and move some out of the LR. And rehome a couple tanks. That will give me more time to focus on less tanks. Should be a win win. A tiny bit sad, but better in the long run.

Been shopping for the ideal previously owned sofa / entry table for the plants and nano tanks - long and strong, lol. Maybe found one I would like. Problem is how sturdy it needs to be. Maybe will get it on Friday, if in person it looks to be strongly built from underneath. Can't see the construction from the pics.

Been working on clearing out the back "junk storage "room for my office / fish room.

Slowly but surely...

Also Checked with Hagen/Fluval about the tank I have been looking forward to for almost 3 years...the Edge 3 19G tank. Keep getting how it is coming in the "next season" email. And yes, once again their response is Summer 2017, lol. We'll see.

After looking at the costs for the other tanks I might just end up purchasing the tank and then the stand later. I just don't have the kind of budget to purchase a new $7-800 set up.

The FW version would house my nano fish. 2 tanks to one new tank. Fingers crossed!

That would free up a tank for my PRL Shrimp.

I could get to 5 tanks
72G Bowfront
12G Edge PRL Shrimp
5G Betta
19G Nano fish Edge 3
1 tbd size SW Nano

:)

Then I would check on the SW version and hope it would accomodate my needs for the fish I am planning for.

Well just got the email back about the SW fish I want and they need a 40G and that seems like a good use for the 46G bowfront I already have - maybe, still gotta think that one through.

Wow look what I got a new snail pretty for my shrine for snails. Lol. I'gor wants a bite!

Thanks Nirabou! IMG_0879.jpgIMG_0881.jpg

Finally planted!!!

Today I planted my 40g Breeder! I added 3 amazon swords, 1 bronze wendtii, 2 dwarf sag., a cardinal plant, and an undulata!

I also added 3 cardinal tetras and am looking to finish out my community tank by the end of the month!

Had a significant disaster tonight. So far I think all tank members are still alive. Will know better in the next few days how much damage was done.

Was wrapping up some pwc with the SW tanks. Did about a 1/3rd pwc with the 6.6G Edge Nano. Had 2 5G SW containers in the garage and still a couple gallons in the one in the storage closet. So figuring that I will get to use up the one in the in the closet and make room for the others I didn't bring in yet. I used it up.

Then after messing around with a few things. I got out the hydrometer - to make sure all was good.

By then I start seeing numerous dwarf Brittle Stars reaching all around, slightly differently than when they are looking for food - all arms extended coming out of hiding. Anemone is closed.

I find that the container of SW was NOT SW but RO water I guess because my water was WAY TOO low in salinity. New SW from the garage brought in immediately and checked good level. Then proceeded to do 2 50% and one ~70% pwc. To get it closer to the correct number.

I didn't have any Reef salt (used to but ran out) to fix it and it was late and no stores open. Usually buy prepared SW since the tanks are small. I got the level to just low normal. Finally. I was freaking out for a little while, and so was the tank.

In the mean time while I was fixing the water issue I moved about 6 Dwarf Brittle Stars to the other 2 tanks just in case the 6.6 crashes. The fish looks good now, has it's color back. DBS went back into hiding. :nono:

I haven't bought RO water for quite awhile and did not recall that to be RO. I think my heart almost stopped.

Very clean water now I suppose. During the pwc correction I used almost all my back up SW so I will be heading to the lfs Friday and in the mean time buying a container of reef salt to have on hand. AND make sure to double check all water BEFORE adding it to the tanks, everytime. Oh my that was a panic.

Today I planted my 40g Breeder! I added 3 amazon swords, 1 bronze wendtii, 2 dwarf sag., a cardinal plant, and an undulata!

I also added 3 cardinal tetras and am looking to finish out my community tank by the end of the month!

Sounds like a nice group of plants! Did you put in some root tabs for those heavy root feeders?

Back
Top Bottom