What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I became a new home for some of Autumn's plants. And a couple of lovely shrimp from her as well. Since I was in the area I also stopped at a fish store with a much larger selection than I can get locally and picked up a group of some more RCS that looked decent to go with the first two and a group of Rummynose tetras for my main tank. So far the critters are all doing ok, but the plants will have to wait for tomorrow :)

Yay!!! Glad you got the Rummy Nose too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I continued cleaning today.

Found that the breeder pair of Angels' tank filter shut off AGAIN! The one Angel had a cloudy eye and I emptied every drop of water in the tank and removed the duckweed.

*****Tacit rinse off all the duck weed, get rid of it - its evil!!!!

The duck weed was turning white again too. I think I need a new bulb or something. Restarted the filter it seems this time the intake was bumped off center a little bit so it wasn't sucking. The big bulk filter pad I had stuffed in the outflow was dry since it was behind the old style aquarium light I didn't see it. :facepalm:

So, 29G all clean all plants are removed, added a DW + fake plant and added about 18 Neons from the store that were in the pre QT bucket.

Upon filling the tank back up spilled a couple gallons on the floor my being tired and lifting the buckets from the 72G and the 29G.

Cleaned up the mess and found out that there was water splashed into the power strip with a little tingle when I went to grab it. Oopsie:blink: there were only 3 things plugged into it so I properly removed it.

Have the giant floor fan drying out any left over moisture.

Will end up moving the Angels to a new home hopefully soon after the eye clears up. Don't want to give someone a sick fish.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If the Neons last through the QT they will go into the 72G with the other 12. And the 29G tank and stand will get a new home too.

Tomorrow I hope to get the 72G FX-5 filter cleaned out - maybe. The duckweed had clogged up the filter.

Got the glass tops on the 72G cleaned and the rims all around cleaned, some GSA from the glass I think it comes because the Macroalgae lights are on all the time even at night. There wasn't any at the far end of the tank.

Also removed the filter intake and outflows and cleaned them in the 72G.

Moved some plants added a couple root tabs and trimmed off some leaves. Moved a couple DW and rocks. Still not liking it 100% I think when I move the tank in the next month or so I will redo the layout too.

###############################################

Decided to put the 90G bowfront on the wall that has all the tanks now and it will be one big tank and the 72G on the opposite wall.

The persistant issue of deciding how to set up the auto pwc has got to get planned soon or I won't set up the 90G until that can be set up.

I think the tanks are close to full time job.

Tomorrow is the 46G clean out and SW pwc. Ugh.

111 here yesterday and the AC couldn't keep up. Opened up the lid in the later afternoon and put a fan on the tank. Sure enough one of the dwarf rainbows did a leap out of the tank and just found him. He's snail food now.

111 here yesterday and the AC couldn't keep up. Opened up the lid in the later afternoon and put a fan on the tank. Sure enough one of the dwarf rainbows did a leap out of the tank and just found him. He's snail food now.

Yeah, discovered a dry hatchetfish this morning :(
Guess I disturbed them too much last night when I was dealing with the rummynose.

No suicides, yet, but my tanks have been hitting the mid-80s in this heat wave, and I've been doing the iced bottle routine to give them some relief. Looked at clip on fans, but they all seem to be made for newer rimless tanks, not the black-rimmed Aqueon style. If anyone knows of clip on fans that do fit, please point me in the right direction.

No suicides, yet, but my tanks have been hitting the mid-80s in this heat wave, and I've been doing the iced bottle routine to give them some relief. Looked at clip on fans, but they all seem to be made for newer rimless tanks, not the black-rimmed Aqueon style. If anyone knows of clip on fans that do fit, please point me in the right direction.

I put an oscillating fan on my ladder.

Tested water on 4 tanks today and very pleased with the results. All good. Nothing like having an established thriving bacteria bed to keep things on the up and up. I had given the Nursery an entire collard green leaf yesterday and they had suicide dwarf rainbow today and 0 ammonia on the tests.

Geez, hot! (It's freezing here).

It's an upsidedown world we live in... ahahaha - Not looking forward to the winter, our leaves are just starting to turn.

Sunday was a record breaker day here in Denver area maybe it was 97 not what the really hot days are normally triple digits. Was supposed to be doing work in the garage but it was too hot and in the house I got off on other tasks to keep me busy.

~~~
On the vein of losing fish I lost a shrimp and then killed a different one thinking it was the dead one I was fishing out, squishing it with the giant tweezer, it might have come back to life /recovered but probably not, I squeezed it twice because I couldn't get a good grip on it between the rocks and plants in the Edge :eek: I feel really, really bad. That's the kind of thing that happens after 2am and you are tired.

I got 2 male Cobra Endlers like my other ones. :) They only had 2 males, no F.

Also got the next expansion to the Neon Tetra School. 25 usually 4 die...

I have about 18-20 in the tank now maybe ready to move to the 72G in now or a couple days.
~12 in the QT
There will end up a total of around 60 IF all goes well. TY Petsmart 1.00 Tetra sale. lol.

I have 8 dead bodies to exchange too from the past 2 rounds. Maybe 68 total???

Today's Tank Work

A 60 G with Chinese Evergreen plants as the main filter and a small Hagen AC50 that takes over the filtration when the plants rest at night.

No ammonia or nitrites ever. The plant roots use them as soon as they become available. Nitrates less than 10 ppm. These readings are normal when you use house plants as filters.

The tank holds about 15 adult Reg Wag Platies, 50 adult Fancy Guppies, 10 Orange saddle hybrid Cories and a 5 inch Albino Pleco. There are quite a number of Platy and Guppy fry.

Anubias grows well in the shaded tank.

Water changes are 50 percent done every two weeks. A balanced tank, for sure.

B

Happy to say I found the store got a bad batch of Neons, I got a refund for them plus the 4 + 4 from the previous batches 33 - sale is on for 3.5-4 more weeks. A few more chances at these.

Hahaha, they chase each other around like they are haters, then the other two pal up and hang out - half the time the Koi is the instigator and the other half the time it is sulking in the corner.

I am beginning to think they are all 3 females. I was told the two long fin ones I have were likely female. I have too hard a time telling the difference unless I see the egg laying and fertilizing... So far that has not happened that I have seen.

Removing all the duckweed and massive floating Wisterias has made for better light of course and I might be able to watch what is going on better.

Got 2 b2b 2.5G pwc done in the 12G PRL tank. I intended only one and rinse the filter as it picked up all the muck and cloudy particles from before, I bumped it and all the gunk in the filter compartment flooded out clumpy muck so I did the other one.

Will maybe do one this evening too. I need a new prefilter sponge for it because it sucks in and clogs pretty fast, I think it is a generic one, not the Fluval Edge brand I got from a friend who ordered online and got like 20 and shared them, but I can't tell which is which after they have been used. The generic ones were softer and less rigid /shape holding ability so cave in easily.

~~~

Okay, got the pwc done in the SW 6.6G, 12G Mr. Aqua and the 6.6 macroalgae tank/cleaned the coating of algae off the top glass, plus the 100% pwc 1G pitcher of Chaetomorpha sitting on the table on the porch. It seems to have loss mass, maybe because I hadn't done a pwc with nitrates in it to feed it.

Noticed about 12 mini Brittle Stars in the 6.6G blob of Chaeto in the corner when I did the pwc, pretty cool.

Filled evap water on everything but the pond.

Thinking that the healthy Neons in the 29G may be ready to move to the 72G - still no deaths all look good one stil seems to stay off to the side a bit and seems smaller, not always but sometimes. He may need to go to the 46G and wait it out.

The Koi Angels pair in the 29G eyes are looking good. After the filter stopping mess.

Have yet to tackle the 46G duckweed mess so looking at that job tomorrow or at least this weekend.

Fished out more duckweed from 2 tanks too. Just a little but trying to stay on top of it.

Also still trying to decide about moving the Chili Rasboras out of the PRL tank not because of predation but because I need to feed them much more often and the pH is going down 6 or less as I can't measure below that with the API, 6 is below their preferred zone it should be 6.3-7.

I wasn't sure how low the DW, substrate would pull it down, but doing a good job, just too well for them.

Lol on the angels. Finding the rams and I guess tetras do it as well but angels seem to have it down to an art form of squabbling while hanging together.

Lol on the angels. Finding the rams and I guess tetras do it as well but angels seem to have it down to an art form of squabbling while hanging together.

These 3 at least do not seem to inflict any serious damage, but it DOES seem at some point one of them is the odd man out.

I have been working towards having a beautiful Koi Angel for years now and for just for a short time was there a peaceful tank. Then I was able to get those 2 beautiful long finned Angels the silver blueish and the golden and their beauty is obvious and I wish they could get along.

The Koi is the one who does the most chasing but also most pouting. The 2 long fins came from the same keeper but different tanks and get along just fine.

Koi likes the big Blue silver the best and mostly chases the smaller golden.

Why oh why can't they just be nice to each other. :nono:

~~~

Do not see the larger Clown loach in the tank right now, small one yes, I didn't see any fish bodies outside of the tank. Getting concerned. I couldn't find one of the SAE a couple days ago but today I see it. Hoping it is just hiding under the really large DW.:confused:

Made about 2.5G of RO water, will do the rest of the 5G if I can get around to sitting still for another half hour. I had the sprinklers on outside and realized that was causing it to move half speed due to reduced water pressure.

Filled the pond water.

Probably doing another pwc on a couple tanks later this eve.

I did a partial water change, an added salt to my tank for my Molly with a couple of white spots on it's side, thinking it's fungal. I then spent time admiring my sword tail fry . I've noticed that there are six left out of the eight fry five weeks ago,but they're getting big and frisky.

Back
Top Bottom