What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine end up being a rotating group and have have been keeping them for maybe 6 years. But they seem to live for around 2 years. But I have had a exclamation point living for maybe 3.5 years so far. Was sold as a baby Chili realized when they are supertiny it's hard to tell. PH is variable with my seasonal water and in the last tank this week was under 6.0 wouldn't measure on the test kit even after one dose of cichlid water minerals. They are in 7.2 tap pH right now. My pH usually doesn't go above 7.4.

Today the lfs did not have good looking fish from their shipment today.

Api Leaf Zone to dose for a little bit. Need to decide what to try a bit more long term.

Found some Eleocharis Acicularis Mini / Dwarf Hairgrass Mini, got 2 packs for a new build coming up. Found it in a different type container from an online vendor as well and it looks much more grown up.

Also will be doing a mini "class" - build a Ramshorn snail planted jar, for a couple friends this weekend, so excited! To share the hobby with a couple more people.

My husband said "she makes ME tired" !We only have 3 tanks, 40,30,20 and I hate to see the weekend come because of the pwc's and filter cleanups. Our guppies are doing TOO well. We may lose one every couple weeks, but the females, which have been separated from the males for a couple months already, are dropping babies by the bucketful.We have waaaaaay too many (and they are gorgeous) but have no way to 'thin out the herd'...Do you have any suggestions ?

Took most of last evening to change water, clean filters and scrape glass in the 30 gal. Looks gorgeous this morning. But then, so do the other 2 tanks which haven't been attended to for a week. The water is staying crystal clear, even with the massive overstocking we are enduring. If anyone needs guppies, let me know, please !

My husband said "she makes ME tired" !We only have 3 tanks, 40,30,20 and I hate to see the weekend come because of the pwc's and filter cleanups. Our guppies are doing TOO well. We may lose one every couple weeks, but the females, which have been separated from the males for a couple months already, are dropping babies by the bucketful.We have waaaaaay too many (and they are gorgeous) but have no way to 'thin out the herd'...Do you have any suggestions ?

Local fish store, club meetings for Aquarium Society, or auctions if they have them around where you are. A slightly larger fish which might gain some nutrition...:hide: Remember live bearers have buckets of babies because in a natural environment the babies are eaten by other fish in the circle of life and so not all survive, but enough... :fish1: (doesn't really look like a Guppy, lol)

~~~~~~

Did a 2.5G pwc on the 12G Mr. Aqua with the QT Guppies, Endlers and Otos.

Topped off all the tanks evaporation, watered the plants with the water (y)

Need some Shrimp!!!

If all goes well In 2 weeks will have some new shrimp and maybe 3 kinds of new shrimp.

Planning on checking if I can get a glass company to cut a nice heavy piece of glass for my long ago broken out bottom low iron glass 12G.

The sides seem okay, but it's been outside in a styrofoam chest no cover in the side yard bone pile under the tree.

I think I abandoned it because the glass cutters wanted so much money for a piece of glass - no one fixes them in the glass companies I called. Just a piece of glass cut. There was one guy at the Aquarium society which said he might help me (a couple years ago...)

Anyway.

Hoping by the end of this week to be able to bring in the 80G Innovative Marine tank to go on the stand which has been sitting hidden behind boxes for nearly a year. (water damaged house and delayed / extended remodeling projects)

Thoughts are on the substrate and I have a couple possible directions, but that will be a new thread. Going from a really good SW plan for the tank to change to FW is literally starting all over.

Checking out a couple fish stores this weekend.

This morning checked the chems... All well within spec. Performed 50% pwc and added 180 ml aquarium salt. Also, dosed 20 ml Thrive+ fertilizer. The aquatic residents appear well, but I did lose another Mystery Snail to the watery beyond earlier this week. The snail cluster still has not hatched, I'm thinking it is dud.

Both remaining Amano Shrimp are alive a well. The Cories are getting bigger. The Molly fry are growing. I can almost make out some detail. Right now they look like Dalmatian Mollies.

20190920_073956.jpg20190920_070544.jpg20190920_070717.jpgView attachment 120190920_072650.jpg20190920_070732.jpg

While feeding my aquatic denizens, rescued two more Molly fry from the general population. Fortunately they found a safe haven behind the breeder's net. So that brings the total to 9.

While feeding my aquatic denizens, rescued two more Molly fry from the general population. Fortunately they found a safe haven behind the breeder's net. So that brings the total to 9.

Nice finding the stragglers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Went to the fish store and they didn't have what I was looking for but could order them if I wanted. Declined today because I am not quite ready yet, but could have set up another tank if necessary and they had them. Microdevario Kubotai Neon Green Rasbora. There is another lfs which offers them frequently at much less per fish, though if you buy 5 you get the 6th free. Need to check the calculations. so at 4.99 it makes 6 cost 4.17 I believe the other store is 3.59, but that was a while back so I'll need to call to check. It is a very long drive, and need to make a combined trip for other reason as well to make it worth it.

Since I was looking for a larger group I might call them and pre-order them and see if I can get a better deal yet.

Bought about 7-8 Seriyu stones and Ohko stones - small ones which will be used for snail vases/bowls. About $21 - 5 pounds 3.99 p/pound.

They had a nice XXL DW but no price and I didn't have time to wait for someone to get me a price. Went to the plant nursery and found a couple possible plants for the plants on the rocks coming out of the water 80G build

Doing some checking for the natural habitat, and easily found source for river stones. Think I will purchase a tree stump DW I saw. Maybe 2 from the same seller to save shipping.

Then this.....

LOOKS like a Jelly fish... Tillandsia Bulbosa 8-10" with 4" Urchin shell

60074-albums13946-picture72263.jpg

Bought a TDS meter and a pH meter so I could really see what is going on in the tanks with buying new shrimp soon!

Got a good price bid for the Golden Bee Shrimp.

75$ for 20 Bloody Mary shrimp overnight shipping included.

Might stick with these 2 for now.

edit: Spent about 3 hours reading about foods, additives, mineral stones, and remineralizers... I am cross eyed and cross brained at this time...

Last edited:
Ah, yes, the classic "reading so much that you forget where you are and then it's 1 in the morning and you really should try to go to sleep"

:)

9w2HjF4.jpg

So I fished around in the 45 gallon and got this out of there. Broke it up a bit and moved chunks of it around. Not shown is the 2ft long chunk of bolbitis...

That bolbitis is all from that little trimming with three leaves you gave me a couple years back, and the Anubias is from like the very first plant I bought in a tube at petschmo a very line time ago. I should go back into the aquarium journal and see when that was...

Update for tanks this week - was sooo busy. (Again :lol: )

In the last few weeks, have been trying to collect up enough male Guppies and Endlers for the future change in the 72G to a Nano / smaller fish tank.

And enough Otocinclus to have a nice group for the soon to be shrimp tank.

This seems like a pretty easy process to accomplish, but it was, in fact not easy.

Several of the Guppies and Otos, all picked out at the day of, or after arriving at the stores, died which is not unexpected in those circumstances, but getting the Otos was harder, many of the fish came in diseased or with lots dying over the last 3 weeks. Traveling to many stores to get them.

Now seems to be settling in and I think I have 10 or 11 Otos (or at least close).

7 Cobra Endler males and about 8 snakeskin and fancy colorful male Guppies.

These Guppy males are heading to the 72G.

Some Endler males likely to the Wine glass for a time. Going to try out some in the Betta tank.

There are 2 female Guppies, of course pregnant. 1 is ready to have babies very soon.

SW tank - 2 newer fish are doing well and eating well. The Pygmy / Cherub Angel is the one I was worried about but seems to eat well and is gaining size. The Lightning maroon nugget clownfish is a chubby one eats like a piggy.

The 5 fish get along and that makes me happy.

12G Edge - Picasso, the Plakat Thai Betta likes to rest on his Betta leaf. Seems happy enough.

Trying to decide which tank to move him to. Leaning towards the larger fish 80G when it gets set up.

Making plans for the transfer of fish and figuring out the media move too. There is an unused Fluval FX-5 and the filter on the 72G is the same - Fluval FX-5, so since most of the fish and biggest fish are moving to the 80G, most of the media will be going along maybe 75% since I am guessing that much fish mass /bioload.

Gonna make a new thread for the 80G build this week sometime.

Tried to get the Microdevario Kubotai / Green Neon Rasbora group today but they were not in stock.

Also ordered and received (lightning fast) a package of 40 Powder Orange Isopods aka Roly Pollies. Researching additional substrate and looking to get a group to the Terrarium.

Have been trying for Rubber Ducky Isopods but for months and months and months none available - can't hold my breath for them forever, just sticking with the Orange ones for now.

Will skip trying to find them for now but if anyone sees them for like somewhat reasonable price.....let me know. Reasonable is not hundreds of dollars :ermm:

Moving some things. Hoping to get the tank tested for leaking tomorrow.

Trying to decide substrate combination. Monday hoping for picking some key stones.

That bolbitis is all from that little trimming with three leaves you gave me a couple years back, and the Anubias is from like the very first plant I bought in a tube at petschmo a very line time ago. I should go back into the aquarium journal and see when that was...

That is incredible.

You should check and see how long! Last week I found a little Micro Mini Anubias in my 72G - leaves are 2-3mm which is about 6 inches long now, which has been growing for about 4-5 years. (originally from other hobbyist -just about 7 or so leaves) Got before they were available commercially anywhere I had seen then. Now available last couple of years.

Found it! The Anubias was first mentioned October 31, 2014

Reentry--my 45 - Page 3 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

There’s a picture of it’s start in the link. Also wow I’ve been on the forum for 5 years.

It had a pretty good root system back then. But it is so big now! And it has nice leaves. Good job. The tanks are aging gracefully :lol: Some of us have been here a decent amount of time. About 7.5 for me (y)

```````````````

I fed fish and found a dead Oto - bummer. He was a scrawny one though.

Will load some pics soon. Have a pic with 7 Otos in the shot. And some pretty colors in the Guppies/Endlers.

Tank Room

Hello...

Worked on the tanks in my basement. The standard weekly, large water changes, clean filters and feeding the fish. Attached is a photo of a part of the basement.

B

wxYgEer.jpg

Very nice!

I'm doing cleaning around here too.

Doing the pwc on the 72G in a min. Then the smaller ones which are so much easier than the numerous bucket refill process. Water out goes out the connection of the FX-5 under the stand.

We are changing the faucet in the kitchenette and I might be able to use the Python/Aqueon set up for refilling which would be sooooo much easier.

I love the kitchen strainer at the refill location inside the tank making the water enter in the more diffused way and less stirring up muck.

Last week I found my not broken 1 of 3 vacs (2 are broken - so why do I still have their parts???) and might just vac the 72G some as well. Not messed with that for a long time, using the much as fertilizer.

The front though is the feeding area and not really plants in the very front of the tank and so I imagine much more mucky than I prefer.

Needing to decide on the shrimp to order maybe tonight or tomorrow night. Need them delivered Friday and as it is overnight mail, should be able to work for Friday date.

Didn't get to go out to the rock yard today and hunt for river stones, had too much housework to catch up on and out of town company visiting.

Back
Top Bottom