What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ps can you imagine their faces when they first saw the list?
I'm sure they were like WTF?[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Another Low Maintenance Tank

Hello again Aa...

Had this old 20 G tank sitting around collecting dust and a rather large Aglaonema "Gemini" land plant sitting in a pot (see attached pics). Thought I'd combine the two into a no water change "Terraphyte" tank. All forms of nitrogen are taken by the plant roots, so it maintains stable water properties.

Added a small HOB to filter the water at night, when the plants slow their filtering work. Need to top off the water that's lost to evaporation a couple of times a week and trim the plants to generate new growth. Pretty much self-sustaining.

Total time needed to set up and run the tank was about 90 minutes.

B

Attachments

• PC250427.jpg
    PC250427.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 100
  • PC250428.jpg
    PC250428.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 76
  • PC250429.jpg
    PC250429.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 85
I was very good! Well for the most part, trick is to not get caught! Most of that is from my in-laws! They wanted an amazon wish list (simple point and click), this is stuff I really wanted. I didn't honestly think I'd get all of it. But according to my husband I had the cheapest stuff but a lot of it! LOL:lol:

Ps can you imagine their faces when they first saw the list?
I'm sure they were like WTF?

My boyfriend got me my first sw aquarium for our anniversary. So you aren't alone. :lol:

Said hi and apologized to all my fish babies! They hadn't eaten for about a week and a half nor any water changes!

My angelfish grew about an inch while I was away! His fins are so long!

Rearranged my rocks for the moss I won on ebay and figured out what my baby whales were eating wooohooo.

Rearranged rocks....

And changed 5g of water out every hour or 2 until my 10g planted until it stabilized after a complete crash that wiped out most of my lily leaves- managed to save the plant though, but did lose a crypt- and by the skin of my teeth saved my peace lily- thought it was dead soaked root bulb in cycled water with a drop of ferts after stripping dead leaves and roots and got a small root to thicken and a green starter leaf pop out, then replanted.

:whistle: and then I rearranged my rocks in my nano reef start up, again.... Oh, like none of you spent the day playing with rocks, water and plants :lol:

Attachments

• 2012-12-27_01-31-39_787.jpg
    2012-12-27_01-31-39_787.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 83
Did a couple pwc on tanks, trimmed and planted a few Big swords I got earlier. Found a hairline crack in my 2G Betta Tank. :eek: It isn't leaking but I will need to get a new tank this week as I am sure any bump at all could send it to shards. :blink:

Pics of "Aglaonema" Emersed Land Plants

Hello again Aa...

Have become somewhat obsessed with growing Chinese Evergreens by emersing them in my planted tanks, see attached pics. Growth is extremely fast, with multiple blossoms. Plants are cheap and easy to maintain. Lighting is just room light from several 60 watt eco lamps.

The land plant grows much faster with the roots in the tank water, than in potting soil. It gets a constant supply of nutrients from the water and returns pure water to the tank.

B

Attachments

• PC290431.jpg
    PC290431.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 73
  • PC290432.jpg
    PC290432.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 89
  • PC290433.jpg
    PC290433.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 80
  • PC290434.jpg
    PC290434.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 58
Went to the nearest PetSmart to browse as usual. All the tanks looked especially nice and cared for, which made me want to give them my business... bought 3 acei and 3 Demasoni ! They all look really good. Acclimating them as I type!

Getting ready to sell and trade some shrimp and guppies.

Moved blue Cherry shrimp from the big tank to the blue Cherry Shrimp tank.

Moved a couple keeper male guppies to the main tank and two females to the Snail tank to keep them apart! lol Don't want 100 guppies....AGAIN :blink:

Cleaned the filters in three tanks, yuk!!!

Found when I got up this morning that ice had formed around my overflow on my above ground little pond's filter and caused 2/3 of the water volume in the pond to dump out, its only 125 gal and the filter is about 50 gal, filter was full, I have a minimum level on the pump to make sure it doesn't go dry. So filling that was fun!

Moved my CPO who must have eaten her babies... out of the shrimp tank and into the main tank. Boy that was dumb leaving her in there. She was so fun to watch when the light was on, I never saw her eat anybody, duh! Well I won't do that again.

Back
Top Bottom