What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tried to explain to my mom & brother that some fish, in my case Bolivian rams, learn to recognize people over time. They now think I'm even more crazy. I watch my 29 g every night and both rams will come and swim back and forth in front of me weather I am feeding them or not.

No Water Change Tanks

Hello Aa...

Serviced the filters in my Terraphyte tanks today. No water changes needed, so am saving about 125 gallons of water every week. Just use a gallon or two of tap water treated with the standard "Prime" to clean the backup water filters needed for the period at night when the emersed plants slow their filtering process.

Keeping large, planted tanks is so much less work with the use of the Aglaonema plants and the emersed version grows so much faster than potted plants. Water properties are stable, no traces of ammonia, nitrite and a trace of nitrates, less than 5 ppm.

B

Nothing, for once! It's 67 degrees in January. I let the kids get muddy and threw balls for the dogs. Monday will have to be pwc day, this time. I hope my fish will understand. :)

BBradbury said:
Hello Aa...

Serviced the filters in my Terraphyte tanks today. No water changes needed, so am saving about 125 gallons of water every week. Just use a gallon or two of tap water treated with the standard "Prime" to clean the backup water filters needed for the period at night when the emersed plants slow their filtering process.

Keeping large, planted tanks is so much less work with the use of the Aglaonema plants and the emersed version grows so much faster than potted plants. Water properties are stable, no traces of ammonia, nitrite and a trace of nitrates, less than 5 ppm.

B

I know we have talked about this before but I just had one more question! Can I use any household plants? I know that quick growers would prob be the best bet!

Using Land Plants

Hello aaron...

No problem. We can review what emersed land plants to use. There are several that can be used, but you must remove the potting mixture from the roots: Peace lily, Chinese evergreen (Cutlass and Gemini varieties), Impatiens (Shady lady variety), Pothos, Philodendron, Nephthytis and lettuce started from seed.

The best for nitrogen control is Aglaonema (Chinese evergreen) and Philodendron a distant second place. The others will work too. The reason Aglaonema works so well, is the plants are large with equally large root balls. The roots take in large concentrations of nitrogen in the water and work within a few days.

I've tested tank water with nitrates in the upper 40 ppm range and emersed one Evergreen and within a week, the nitrates were less than 10 ppm.

There are some specific steps for preparing the land plant to be emersed, but it definitely works.

B

Added a piece of drift wood to the tank.

Attachments

• image-3690404156.jpg
    image-3690404156.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4130487295.jpg
    image-4130487295.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 90
Did complete water test, all good except ph a tad high grrrrr stupid tap water, didn't do a water change due to ph. Moved tall plants to back of tank and made room for a possible drift wood when I find the one juuuuust right.

Tested water on all tanks.. small amount of ammonia in the 55g nothing a pwc wont fix.. water in the 20g was perfect.. :) gonna buy a few more plants n mayb some flowerpots to add as hiding spots for when i give the gbr another try .. glad i asked the people on here about them or i wouldnt even consider another one.. but i want to ensure if i get another aggressive one its the personality of the fish not lacking cover ..

Tested water on all tanks.. small amount of ammonia in the 55g nothing a pwc wont fix.. water in the 20g was perfect.. :) gonna buy a few more plants n mayb some flowerpots to add as hiding spots for when i give the gbr another try .. glad i asked the people on here about them or i wouldnt even consider another one.. but i want to ensure if i get another aggressive one its the personality of the fish not lacking cover ..

Just make sure everyone has their own hiding spot(s).

I got a torch coral :)

40782-albums3053-picture48996.jpg

Just make sure everyone has their own hiding spot(s).

The hubby wants to buy another barrel piece n place on the right side of the tank.. i dont want to over decorate though n i really dislike the barrels..

ForumRunner_20130113_210944.jpg
Removed the horrible little plant i had in the back middle n added 1 like the others gonna buy 1 more for the back in that bare spot .

ForumRunner_20130113_211003.jpg

Bought that barrel decor bc the hubby liked it n wanted it placed there so that added a spot.. its not as small as it looks the bigger cories fit it fine with room to grow.
The otos usually hide on the plants or on the top of that rock piece n the left corner ..

Added some leftover slate to the 55g while i was thinking about it..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130113_211013.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130113_211013.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 110
image-2847665067.jpg

Did a 50% WC yesterday & fixed all the things I didn t like about my aquascape. Then today took some water back out to fix what I still wasn t happy with. It s almost there but will control myself & quit upsetting the fish until next weeks PWC. Hoping to get 6 Sterbai Cory s this week & 2 Koi Angels next week. So close to being done! Who laughed at that ?:)

The hubby wants to buy another barrel piece n place on the right side of the tank.. i dont want to over decorate though n i really dislike the barrels..

View attachment 144114
Removed the horrible little plant i had in the back middle n added 1 like the others gonna buy 1 more for the back in that bare spot .

View attachment 144115

Bought that barrel decor bc the hubby liked it n wanted it placed there so that added a spot.. its not as small as it looks the bigger cories fit it fine with room to grow.
The otos usually hide on the plants or on the top of that rock piece n the left corner ..

Added some leftover slate to the 55g while i was thinking about it..

Instead of barrels have you considered different diameter Cholla wood? You can attach moss or plants and then it provides a hiding place and more natural looking option.

Instead of barrels have you considered different diameter Cholla wood? You can attach moss or plants and then it provides a hiding place and more natural looking option.

I suggested driftwood but he didnt like it wanted a splash of color... i think its safe to say his idea for my tank n my idea is totally different.. lol

I suggested driftwood but he didnt like it wanted a splash of color... i think its safe to say his idea for my tank n my idea is totally different.. lol

I read you there my hubby is the same way I finally told him that I was the one who cleaned, fixed, arranged it as well as fed the fish so I decorate it.

Sounds like it's time for 2 tanks!:D

We have 3 tanks.. well 4 but only 2 or up n running bc he thinks we got 2 many now..lol but he doesnt mind sayin what fish we should get or decor...lol

Yeap i know.exactly what u mean tidbitz mine gets mad bc i spend alot of time with my babies.. but i make him help with water changes we still lug buckets n that 5gal bucket is heavy so its his job .. lol

Back
Top Bottom