What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
started soaking some new driftwood I picked up at the lake, started cleaning the nasty 20 gallon long I bought used, picked up a UG filter for the 20 (thanks for being a hoarder dad!), did some therapy shopping and picked up 4 ghost shrimp (two are berried!) from walmart. Surprisingly our Walmart has really healthy fish. I'd say better than petco and petsmart by a landslide. Guess that one guy working there knows his stuff....:)

Received and set up my awesome new Aquatop cf-500uv filter! Woooooo! Great price and perfect for my cichlid tank!

Attachments

• 1396030646556.jpg
    1396030646556.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 68
Noticed the bubble nest in my pretty newer Dragonscale's tank got huge. He has been darting around the tank like he was looking for someone...

Added my fattest little female in there and let them meet and chase each other around. She was scared at first and then put on some tiger mating stripes and they got to meet and chase around the tank. She followed him some and after about 10 min he started really chasing her and nipping at her. She would rest and then come back near him so I think we could get a match here.

I took her back out and plopped her back in with the rest of the girls. Maybe he will make his nest even bigger. I will plop her back in in either tonight or in the morning and see if anything happens

60074-albums13900-picture66142.jpg

60074-albums13900-picture66140.jpg

Setup process.
I bought some pipes to plumb the overflow of my new (used) 35g tank and a return pump capable of 500L/h. Filled the (filthy) tank with water to leak test and spent about 1.5 hours scraping scrubbing and making it look pretty and newish again. Time well spent though and i can happily say that it is leak free and only has minor superficial scratches. Great buy for $50 andit will probably become my first saltwater tank one day in future. I need to build a stand tomorrow and see what kind of start i can make on a sump. I have two nicely sized tanks that i will chose from and look for a DIY plan that i like tonight after cleaning out the most damaged looking sump option and get started with some partitions. I think I'll just go with a wier style overflow system leading to a long empty section that will house the return pump. I figure i can get at least 10g of extra volume running through a 15-17g sump. This tank will combine all the 5 or so months of knowledge i have gained with planting and has more floor space and low height than all my other tanks so it's going to be exciting filling it with plants. I think that i enjoy having a garden i don't have to remember to water as much as keeping fish.

Tank maintenance
Just feeding today.
Comets got flakes in the morning and a small snack of pellets at lunch because they were begging. Will feed them and every tank peas tonight.
20g Community got a flakes and bloodworm. Needs a WC tonight and meds for fungus added. I thought it was gone but it returned in two fish that had slight infections on their side. It's been a PITA since i took on 7 fish in an abandoned tank that had a broken filter. They matched my stocking so i thought, great free stock upgrade but the meds have meant i spent more than i would have needed to spend on new fish. And sadly 3/7 fish have since died. The free tank that they came in is a nice 6g rimless cube that i like though and worth $70 from my LFS (with a working HOB in the deal). Sadly the HOB from this stup was burnt out.
20g Kuhli and RCS got a small amount of pellets and a big feed of bloodworms.

I may also do a hardscape for a terrarium i want to get set up for some fiddler crabs. I had planned it a few weeks back but life and family visits put that on the back burner. I at least got some emersed plant clippings started on a windowsill that i can just plant straight away on the island i build. I'm excited about getting these little guys. I have a small cycled filter ready to go for them i just have to stop postponing the build for their tank. The LFS is keeping them underwater but i'm pretty sure the variety they have need land to have a healthy life. I hope they don't destroy plants though.

Went to the CAFE convention in Columbus today (awesome!) and got 10 CRS. A little outside the plans today but I couldn't pass them up! So now I'm frantically rushing around to get the tank around for them. I have RO water from the store, extra plants and driftwood in a tank with the shrimp. I still need to find some substrate and a few more things. But awesome day!!!

75% water Change in 2 out of the 4 tanks, and moved some fish around

Sent to an auction yesterday day. I put up a cobalt blue zebra and yellow lab juvies. I got hap sp. tomato fry($10) african water fern($5) Christmas moss($6) and rotala Mexican var. bangledesh($7)
I think I did pretty good.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396288605.538544.jpg

Added 4 female Molly's to my tank. I had bought 3 before I knew much and it turned out they were 2 male and one female. The poor female was exhausted and the males fighting all the time. Peace has been restored!!

Watched my new orchid dottyback that I added yesterday in the caves hiding and noticed that my electric flame scallop has FINALLY came out of his cave enough to where I can see him! Good day.
DDFLYko.jpg

WC on 35g feeding and top up on all tanks. Measured, marked, cut, drilled and sanded the wood for the stand i'm making for my new 35g. I need to make a trip to the hardware store tomorrow for some bits i still need (flat board for the tank to rest on and facing to enclose the stand) then i'll screw it all together and add some undercoat. Hopefully i can scape and fill before the weekend and get my sump filter cycling.

I have been wondering if my Kuhli lloach were eating all the baby Cherry shrimp in my tank as i have tried for days to spot one. I'm glad to say i saw two today of varying sizes. Hopefully i have another thirty or forty hiding out within the tank. It would be nice to know i can breed both Ramshorn Snails and Cherry Shrimp (such an accomplishment :p ). I wish i had trouble breeding the snails.

I have been wondering if my Kuhli lloach were eating all the baby Cherry shrimp in my tank as i have tried for days to spot one. I'm glad to say i saw two today of varying sizes. Hopefully i have another thirty or forty hiding out within the tank. It would be nice to know i can breed both Ramshorn Snails and Cherry Shrimp (such an accomplishment :p ). I wish i had trouble breeding the snails.

I have to say that when I got some baby Kuhlis, they were too small to go into my bigger tank because they could have been eaten so I instead put them into my 16G Mixed color Cherry Shrimp tank. At first there was no issues I could see but as they reached teenager size, boy was I short on baby Cherry Shrimp. The little buggers (Kuhlis) were getting fat and growing big off the crop of shrimp.

The Bristelnose Pleco babies like to suck up baby shrimp too judging from my numbers of babies being so low now in my Fire Red tank. I have tried many different tankmates for the shrimp and it has proved to be a negative for the shrimp, with the exception of Chilis aka Boraras Brigittae.

Others that ate the babies were newborn CPO orange crayfish, Green Neons and Sundanio Axlerodi Blue Neon. So far the Chilis are the only fish that have not caused a decline in baby numbers. I did also have White Cloud Mountain Minnows and they would for sure eat anything that was crawling around the top of the tank, but the ones in the middle and bottom were fine because the WCMM didn't go down into that area much. Even will all very densely planted and floating plants and floating stems.

Ok, well my sick Angel fish is still hanging in there. I am very surprised. Doing a new bucket of clean water and same kind but new dose of meds.

My Orange Laser Cories all ended up dead, and the remaining 3 little tiny Cardinals also seemed to have disappeared from the QT. The Diamond Tetras are all alive and seem to be well, though if anything would have survived, I wish it would have been the very expensive Cories, not the $1. per fish Diamonds.

Yesterday I cleaned the prefilter on my 6.6G Edge because the flow was lower than it should have been, and added some Cuttlebone scrapings into the tank. There already is a big piece in the tank, but wanted to get a little more into the water since I saw a Shrimp laying sideways, looking like it was getting ready to molt and didn't want to see any molting problems start.

Haven't had time to put the female Betta back into the male's tank because of working so much and other things which need attention keeping me busy. Probably try for Thurs and Friday.

Will be doing fill for evaporation and a little pwc on the 12G Edge Blue Velvet shrimp tank. I have been trying to do more, frequent smaller pwc since the shrimp were seeming to be berried well and I didn't want to change the tank too much water wise as this time of year our city water parameters seem to change dramatically week to week.

Last edited:
Pulled some plants I sold, did a PWC on a few of them and made a few notes on my huge plant growth in my endler tank.

Did the big tank shuffle today!
The 2 betta girl and the molly from the 10 gal went into the 29 gal community tank.
The 10 gallon was retrofitted into a new luxury suite for Mr.Blue fish, the Betta, who was removed from the 5.5 gallon. The 5.5 was (finally!) made into a crab-itat for my DH's fiddler crab (whom I didn't want - we made a very awkward social situation for the walmart guy as we filled the air with tension and pent up anger as we argued about getting him.) Found a berried RCS in the shrimp-o 20 gallon long (yahooo!) and learned that my excitement about getting two berried ghost shrimp will probably be for naught. My RCS are finally coming out and running around the tank which is lots of fun :) Wish I had better lights for the 20, gonna hit up the yard-sales and hope I get lucky.

Cleaned my 10g,moved fry into my 5gImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396498723.341301.jpg and ordered this cool decor, now to just pick what tank out of the three of them gets it,, decisions decisions! ?

50 % clean on my shrimp tank and algae scrub.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I cleaned my turtle tank,changed the filters out & washed off the rocks/plants

Back
Top Bottom