What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well there is cleaning going on by one of my larger mature Koi Angels, but still can't figure out who, or if there is a pairing.

They all are growing so much and look so majestic swimming in the tank.

Day before got the 12G Edge and the 5G Chi, and SW Macro Algae Vase slid over to the new cabinet which looks great.

Filled evap on the SW Column tank. Today doing pwc on 12G, 5G and 6.6G tanks before I run off to work.

Found out that the person who wants the male Betta, would like the 2.5G tank instead of the 5G, so that works well because the 3 girls can go back into the 5G or a bigger sorority when they find their new home.

Have still been too busy to move over everything in the big 72G tank and complete the whole tank clean out. :/ I might just do it section by section, maybe 3 rounds, in 1/3rds and not actually take out all the fish, they seem to be pretty happy in there right now.

Some of the moss which was attached to the DW pieces is slowly coming back. There are only 2 big Java Ferns left in there right now. Almost everything else except the Swords sustained serious damage, they are all still in the 35G with the 3 Betta girls. Plants which remain are trying a little to come back to life enough to warrant actually planting them, looks so sad. I am still shocked when I see the tank and no actual planted plants (in the 72G). Just lots of DW and those 2 Java Ferns... :(

Hoping to catch up on everything this next week, but very busy at work too.

The dollar per gallon sake starts tomorrow so you can find a bigger rank for your sorority!:)

The dollar per gallon sake starts tomorrow so you can find a bigger rank for your sorority!:)

LOLOLOL The 3 Betta girls are actually in the 35G right now with all the plants which are trying to recover. They stay in one little corner of the tank together, the one furthest/opposite from the Aquaclear 110. They are going to be adopted soon, I think; I have to downsize my tank quantity. Because I have run into time issues with other things which have come up. I can't keep the tanks all like I want them to be kept (properly). So no new tanks for me, I am getting rid of 3. One of them is the 5G, the 2.5G and the 16G, then likely the 35G going to my daughter,

My focus can be put into the rest of the tanks.

Have been thinking about all this for awhile, it is so hard to make up my mind, lol.

What can I say, I am a flip-flopper on tanks.

15G Column SW This is a great shape but maybe not best for SW, I happen to be undecided still.

6.6G Edge still my favorite tank and awesome for shrimp

12G Edge amazing looking tank, I need more fish in there.

5G Chi, love the waterfall effect and nice shape, a great tank for my Betta

72G Bowfront It is a huge and beautiful set up. Once it is replanted it will be amazing once again.

Maybe keep the 16G for the Hospital tank...lol, I have gone mad:BIG: Sorry, am delirious from exhaustion.
A quick look at my fish today as I flop down exhausted onto the couch.

I haven't been online much recently but it has been a big couple of weeks for me. I was really sick for two days at home, then spent three days in hospital. During that time i had my sister caring for the fish for three days, but was overdue for WC (on 4 tanks) by 4 days. I came home to some messy tanks and sick fish (overfed and with signs of nitrate poisoning). I did 50% WC for 2 days and only lost 1 Kuhli Loach after all that. I was afraid that things would turn out worse when i saw piles of uneaten food in every tank. My sister cared for my fish once before and all but two of seven died. My tank was overstocked by 6 fish at the time so it was more my fault than hers, but i'm glad i was specific about telling her not to overfeed because i think she would have emptied entire food jars in a week at that rate. Took 3 days for a newly opened jar of flake food to drop to halfway with her feeding :nono:

A few days later i finally put a 35G i have had for a while on the stand i built about a month back to get started with breeding Bettas. I have a nice female and had plans to borrow a similar male to get started. It then took another week to get her to deliver Sonic. But she was going away for a fortnight so could i please look after her 2 fantails as well? I agreed to mind them, then it was going to be three weeks next time we spoke, which today has become forever. She wants her tanks/filters etc back but i'm now the proud owner of her fish after she split with her boyfriend and moved back home 4 hours away. The fish were in pretty bad shape when i got them with some redness in patches and signs of veins forming in their fins, but they're healthier again since i've had them 2 weeks with really regular WC. I don't have to give her a lecture about WC frequency in small tanks which her fantails were growing out of already. They have twice the tank space ready for them once their new home clears up but will want more room eventually.

Anyway the tank setup and power board shuffle is done. Tomorrow i have to switch some filter media and then move the fish into their new homes. I was going to make my pair of Comets the last goldfish i ever kept, but that didn't really work out. And i now need a new heater for a male Betta tank too:facepalm:

Anyway that meant that instead of an hours work for my weekly water change i had to add in the setup of another tank (simple add gravel, filter and water job that i will scape later) , plan a tank and filter media shuffle to keep my new fish healthy, clean a bag of gravel i keep sitting round for these just in case situations and empty 2 tanks to cram 1 more tank into a semi-permanent space. Coincidentaly this makes 14 fish that i have adopted now. Praise must go to the creator of power boards who makes it possible for me to run an increasing number of tanks in a house with 1 wall plug in every room except the kitchen. I still have free plugs for 1 more tropical planted tank but after that it is a case of one tank in one tank out. It's as if the house has spoken and over-ruled MTS.

Alan, you must be better now, working on all that is quite a lot. Nice of you to care for the sad and miskept fish. If the house is not cooperating, time for a new one, lol! Let's see some pics of the new ones and whatever else you have been doing when you get some spare time.

I have fed and continued to not be sure which tanks to keep (for sure).

Noticed a little more growth for the moss on the DW in the 72G. Yay. :dance:

Haven't heard back about when the BIG order is going to be made at the lfs for my ~$1. Cardinals. The arrangement was to hold for me about 25% more than I needed and wait 2 weeks so that I could be fairly sure they would live. If it ever happens, I will be SUPER excited.

Found juvenile Red BN plecos on classifieds so put in an order for them. They will go into the 72G when the 2 huge bottom feeders move into the other tank.

Added some alk tiger pods siphoned some cyano cried laughed gandered.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im getting an oscar! My friend is moving and asked me to take in his oscar for a year or so. After a few months of being fishless I am so excited!

Wow getting an oscar is so exciting! I'm trying to convince my mom to let me bring my betta with me to my grandparents because he gets stressed out and bites his tail when he's alone, I saw him doing it yesterday :eek: it wasn't good. I'm kinda worried about him, maybe I'll get another betta and put it in a tank next to him for some company.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Finally getting caught up!

Finished the small tanks pwc. Cleaned the prefilter sponge in the 6.6 Edge and although I usually rinse it, flow was getting low so I blasted it with tap water to get out the crud. No more crud. since it was running flow very well after that I decided not to replace the sponge just yet. Same thing for the 12G Edge it is running with excellent flow since I cleaned it so I still have 2 brand new sponges.

Saw a bunch of saddled (female) Blue Velvets in the 12G. Looking at getting the young Albino BN Plecos out of there so I won't have them eating the babies. They are very healthy looking and big enough not to be eaten in the other tank now. Last attempts ended in failure to catch. There are just too many plants, weird angles and DW for the job to be simple.

Finally everyone's schedules line up and the one Betta in the 2.5G is going to his new home tomorrow about an hour away.

SW Rescued 2 coral frags which blew off the ledge. One was up side down and the other just fell off over night. Haven't glued them since I haven't decided on the new rock placement yet.

Moved my in tank Chaeto back to the top also ended up at the bottom front due to the flow level. Maybe need to buy and try a low quality nylon sock or some tulle (fabric store) to reduce flow but still have big enough holes to suck up particles.

Hoping tomorrow will be the pwc opportunity for the 72G and the 35G and SW 15G.

Water Changes

Hello all...

Nothing but water change, water change and my favorite, the water change. Change at least half the water in all my tanks every two weeks. The tanks are large and well planted. Quit testing the tank water some time ago. With all the new water going through the tanks, it's always pure for the fish and plants. So why waste the money on testing equipment?

Like to use land plants to get the tank water chemistry even a tiny bit better. Not really concerned how pretty the tanks are, just how pure can the water be.

Attached is a pic of one of the planted 55s.

Keep pluggin'

B

img_2981198_0_4f4ba0934eae236f934561a3f5a4b1ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

50% water change on my 40 gallon, I think I'm finally winning my battle against nitrates. I Was away from tanks for a month between my wedding and honeymoon so water changes were neglected. And fish were overfed.
I've been doing 25% water changes every second day so not to shock the fish with a massive change in water chemistry.
I'm finally down to 50ppm nitrates, not there yet but at least the end is in sight.

Gold dust molly is acting funny. Hiding all day. Endlers are having fun. Brown algae is all over the place. Have to clean the 20G soon.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was able after many years to find a viquarium kit and started up a new tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404232584.256636.jpg

Went to the LFS and got 3 more female RCS for my male, the other two died because they were brought between the breeding facility, LFS, and my house too fast and were acclimated to each tank so they got shocked and died. Hopefully these guys make it and I get a successful colony :)

20% water change, and I admired my first batch of new born fry, I managed to catch one and separated him, the others will have to fend for them selfs but there are plenty if hiding places! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404240617.404304.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Placed my order for a 60" buildmyled XB series 6300k! Pretty pumped and can't wait to get it on the 120g

Back
Top Bottom