What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...

Trimmed the "Ag" plants this morning in my 55 gallon tanks. They've outgrown the tanks. Best filtration system I've ever used. Tons better than even the best mechanical filters, but the roots have taken up most of the room under the water. Great hiding places for the new Platy and Guppy fry. The Corys like the root covered bottom too.

B

Autumnsky do you have a thread of your tanks somewhere you update?

Funny you mentioned that, I just thought last night it had been an eternity since I did update it.

Here is the thread, need to catch up the up date for this one.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/autumnskys-72g-bowfront-345685.html

But I guess I need to get a thread going for the rest of the madness...

Any of you come and visit, you know most of the story if you have been on this thread for any amount of time, but more to come, just got it started not really filled in yet!

So here - TMaier - making me work extra hard!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-shrimp-adventure-prl-355165.html#post3414630

You need one more thread for the rest of the madness. I hope it includes the mysterious black hole in the corner of the yard. [emoji12]

Went fishing today in my 46G for baby Platy. Found 20!!! That is more that 12 I hought. So far I can say I got all the ones I could see. They went into the Spec V which I haven't really done a thing with except keep feeding the tank and the RH snails to keep up the BB.

This opens the way for all the extra fish to move over to the 46G. Since the Cichlid Auction is tomorrow and I still think I am going, so maybe I will wait and use it for the new arrivals if I get any (lol, yeah right IF, lol, laughing at myself today), I have my eyes on a few things.

My Koi Angels are sparing AGAIN!!! I wish they would behave like :angel: not Angels.

<')))))):-<

And it is time for a big change in my 11.4G Mr. Aqua. Surprised I didn't kill any fish, but apparently when I added the rice paper film on the back - a little of the squeegee water went into the tank and now have a little foam bubbles on top.!!!!!:eek:

WOW, what an idiot. Guess I am lucky I used the gentle soap in the spray bottle and not the antibacterial one.
Big clean out and rinse for everything, what a pain in the rump!

I went to the LFS yesterday and got myself some white sand to line the bottom of my 5 gallon. It's looking really nice, I've arranged it so that the left/front portion of the tank is just sand and the back and right portions of the tank are topped with the off-white gravel I was making use of before. I think it is looking real nice. I also got myself some a few stems of bacopa, two marimo moss balls, and a banana lily. Overall, I think that it looks a lot nicer now than it did before. First time trying for plants in an aquariums so wish me luck.

Last edited:
Alright. That was a few hour project.

Interesting that there were many more Chili Raboras than I thought. There are 15 or 16.

But there are less Tangerine Tiger Shrimp than I thought and no babies, so maybe the soap got them or maybe the fish ate them or maybe there just weren't that many. I sold a package locally of 8 of them, and there were a few adults and a bunch of juveniles. There were also the 2 Anchor cats aka Moth catfish that are still alive and well.

The tank is the 6.6G Edge, used a big Malaysian DW from the 46G and it now has all those fish and, previously used Eco Complete.

Took out the Up Aqua Sand and combed through it all handful by handful to get out the numerous MTS (at least the ones I saw).

I rinsed it out gently by swishing the substrate in clean Prime water, and then rinsed it again, (big) net by net. First bucket pretty much black and second lightly browned color.

Presently taking a break an wondering if I should just drop the little ball type substrate, like 1-1.5mm balls on top of the eco complete I added to cover the bottom of 12G Edge tank. I am tired and weighing the good and bad of the choice. I just need to get it done tonight and not kill off the BB.

A little fearful of the new tank having a mini cycle as I took out about the same size quantity of plants from the 12G jungle as the whole tank size 6.6 is right now. The dried out previously used by me Eco, of course doesn't have any living BB.

It's a nail biter!!!

Last edited:
Also just got a confirmation that my new substrate From Amano (AFA) was being shipped out today. It is the new Amazonia Light. (Substrate for dummies, so it ought to work out great!) Just had to add that in in case through all the commotion here I forgot to let you know what happened next.

I bought a couple more plant packs on Friday Ludwigia glandulosa and hygrophila araguaia. I put some of the hygro in my Betta tank, the rest in my community tank, I had to clear some space in the right hand side by halving the number of stems of another plant (can't remember what its called). There's absolutely no space left on the floor of the tank now for plants.

I arranged to trade in some of my endler guppies at the lfs too. I wound up giving them about 15 in exchange for a trio of bleeding heart tetras and a few more female endlers which was more value than I asked for.

I've also been doing better on my second attempt at bringing wild shrimp into my aquarium. I caught 9 last time I tried, 12 hours later they were all dead. This time round I caught another 7. Three died within a few hours of getting them home but a week later four are still looking healthy. If they last another week I'll catch a few more. If this lot had all died I'd have left them alone.

I bought a couple more plant packs on Friday Ludwigia glandulosa and hygrophila araguaia. I put some of the hygro in my Betta tank, the rest in my community tank, I had to clear some space in the right hand side by halving the number of stems of another plant (can't remember what its called). There's absolutely no space left on the floor of the tank now for plants.

I arranged to trade in some of my endler guppies at the lfs too. I wound up giving them about 15 in exchange for a trio of bleeding heart tetras and a few more female endlers which was more value than I asked for.

I've also been doing better on my second attempt at bringing wild shrimp into my aquarium. I caught 9 last time I tried, 12 hours later they were all dead. This time round I caught another 7. Three died within a few hours of getting them home but a week later four are still looking healthy. If they last another week I'll catch a few more. If this lot had all died I'd have left them alone.

Pics would be great, this is very interesting. Have you kept shrimp before, or do you have a thread about this topic, I'd like to see more about it.

~~~~~

Rinsed out the [edit] substrate from the Mr. Aqua - Prime water, I am feeling concern about the shrimp missing the mature substrate to pick at and all the moss and Susswassertng (I just found out it is spelled that way but known as Subwassertang). Picked out about 30 or so tiny like 1mm size MTS. Added it into the bucket of plants and moss with an air bubbler and Put the Beamworks on the acrylic top to get them some light.

Didn't go to the auction, not feeling that great an its a long day with an hour drive each way.

Guy near me has 3 adult Discus for sale. I am going to go take a look and see how much.

Last edited:
50% PWC with good gravel vac and cleaned the tank. Bought new conditioner and bloodworms.

1487469143711.jpg

Pics would be great, this is very interesting. Have you kept shrimp before, or do you have a thread about this topic, I'd like to see more about it.

~~~~~

Rinsed out the [edit] substrate from the Mr. Aqua - Prime water, I am feeling concern about the shrimp missing the mature substrate to pick at and all the moss and Susswassertng (I just found out it is spelled that way but known as Subwassertang). Picked out about 30 or so tiny like 1mm size MTS. Added it into the bucket of plants and moss with an air bubbler and Put the Beamworks on the acrylic top to get them some light.

Didn't go to the auction, not feeling that great an its a long day with an hour drive each way.

Guy near me has 3 adult Discus for sale. I am going to go take a look and see how much.

I'll try and get some pics of the shrimp soon. My last attempt was in a shallow tank where I think they got too hot. This time they're in a black bucket which is deeper and holds a lower temperature. I also added some rocks from the creek I found them in which were covered in algae.

I've kept RCS for about 8 months, the population probably tripled then they all just began to die off. I kept them with my Kuhli loaches. I think they might have learned to hunt them the babies suited of first, then the adults seemed to due during moulting mostly.

I don't have a thread about it. If I have time tomorrow I'll take some pics and start a thread. I have to find a host for my pics too.

Sunday funday....maintenance day. Cleaned Wyatts and mine. Actually did alot trimming on mine. Finally below 200 tds. Took 2 weeks. Java moss recovering from h2o2 nicely. The new spec iii has a little power in the updated lights. 20170219_112613.jpg20170219_112343.jpg

Sunday funday....maintenance day. Cleaned Wyatts and mine. Actually did alot trimming on mine. Finally below 200 tds. Took 2 weeks. Java moss recovering from h2o2 nicely. The new spec iii has a little power in the updated lights. View attachment 295148View attachment 295149

Looks awesome!!! Congrats on the TDS reduction.

So sad. Those little orange guys are so cute.

Yes, so beautiful (when alive). It is heart wrenching. Two or 3 were kinda stuck in the container as I emptied it after changing the tank, so thinking back maybe they were the last ones because they were not feeling well.

I am adding a clump of Susswasertang, possibly one of moss to the new tank. Maybe they can nom some necessary good stuff from there.

Did pwc this am, say one possible body stuck on the rock, could have been a molt shell, but I do not see those too often. I added some magnesium sulfate to the water in hopes that would make things better. I was adding calcium and magnesium but I was also tring to back off on the additions/amounts. TT like the minerals a little higher than my water comes out of the tap.

2, guessing male, Angels in the 72 are fighting almost all the time. Trying to decide which one to take out and move to the 46G.

Didn't want a female in the DT and of course, she is one of the nice colored & most clear orange ones of the bunch. Larger male isn't as Orange as the slightly smaller male, she seems to hang out with the larger male more often, but kind of stays in between the two but out of the way when they are sparring. I think she would pick either of them.

Trying to decide - nicer male and female possibly pair up (didn't really want any babies to raise) or pick best colored male for DT. Let the other 2 pair up in the 46G OR leave 2 males in the DT and do a bunch of water changes to hopefully reduce/eliminate the female presence.

Back
Top Bottom