What do I get for my 6gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFreddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!

Basically, I have just got hold of a 6 gallon tank off a friend of mine and it is currently cycling so am thinking of what fish I want to get for it.. My friend had a four barbs and a rainbow shark in it. Obviously he learnt very quickly that it wasn't a good idea to have a rainbow shark in that small a tank as it would eventually grow too big and agressive for it. Thats why he has upgraded to a much bigger tank.

I really want some neon tetras and have read that you shouldn't really go less than six of them. If i got six of them would I then be unable to get any other fish in the tank aswell? I do know a little bit about tanks and maintaining them having had one before but my knowledge in how many of types of fish should be in a tank and what are good and bad combinations is lacking..

Thanks,
FishyFreddy

Hi FishyFreddy

I will be having 7 neons and 1 Male Betta in my 35 litre tank (roughly 10 US gallons), not sure if you can get away with neons and a betta in a 6 gallon though as think they would like a bit more space.

Maybe 3 pygmy corys and a betta? not sure though... I am a newbie as well so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will suggest something

I think the rule is 4 litres to every centimetre of fish?!
I'm not certain though.
Maybe another member can confirm or deny that.

cheers for the fast replies. hmm. my tanks 28 litres. I guessed that people would suggest betta's as everyone seems to love them, apart from me haha. Don't know what it is but I just dont like them ha. I'm pretty new to all this too. I was thinking that maybe I could go for like 5 neons and a frog of some kind but have no idea what type and whether you can even have one on it's own with neons.

Fair enough, as for frogs people tend to suggest African Dwarf frogs for smaller tanks I think. They look pretty cool.

Though from what I have read I think you have to feed them live bloodworms as there main source of food, so you would need to keep pretty well stocked up with them as well.

yeah ive just read in another thread about African Dwarf frogs and had a quick look at them and they do look pretty awesome. Just don't know whether they can be on their own in that small a tank with a few neons too..

I don't honestly know, I have seen a video on youtube with a single ADF in a small tank before with betta and neons, but not sure if that is the right thing to do or not, hopefully someone with more knowledge will help, but don't think there will be much problems between the frog and neons maybe just down to size of tank, but as I say I am just a newbie so probably best to wait for someone more experience.

Cheers to the guys that have posted back but like tinkster87 said, I could do with someone with a bit more experience.

Is there actually anything more that I can get if I get 6 tetras? I am open to any suggestions!

Also, what's the relationship between cardinal and neon tetras in terms of schooling, will they still school together if I get three of each? Is this the same for all tetras or does it have to be 6 of the same? Is it essential that I get 6 tetras instead of less meaning room for something else?

Sorry for all the questions at once, just have a lot of them haha!

If I was stocking a 6 gallon I would do a betta, probably crowntail, and 6-8 ember tetras or some 3-5 dwarf cory cats. The tank would be nicely planted and water changed 50% twice a week.

the six neon tetras wouldnt be ideal in that tank bc they love to zip around the tank. i would suggest mosquito rasboras though, and then you could add some shrimp and 2 african dwarf frogs bc they like company. so maybe 6-10-mosquito rasboras,2-3-african dwarf frogs,10-ghost shrimp.
what you need to do about feeding the frog is you should get a cave and some sinking aquatic frog food and then feed them buy placing pellets in his cave.
here are the fish im talking about-
mosquito-rasbora-rasbora-brigittae-approx-0.5-0.75--500-p.jpg

wow. I really like the mosquito rasboras! I like the dory cory cats too. Want to stay away from getting a betta as they dont personally appeal to me. How big are ghost shrimp? Think I'm going to move away from the tetras. Thanks for the tips with feeding the frogs. Cheers for the responses, always good to hear what others would do with the tank!

Firstly, sorry for bumping this thread lol. Erm I went to my lfs yesterday and checked out what they have there. Sadly they don't have any shrimp in stock because they are all open topped tanks. I've decided that i definitely want the ADF's having fallen in love with them at the lfs. I also really like the look of rasboras hengeli too. I'm not sure if i could fit anything else in my 6gal tank and am lead to believe that they would need to be in atleast a group of six. So this is what I am now thinking for my tank:

6 hengeli rasboras
2 african dwarf frogs

Is this too much for my tank or can i get away with more fish in there? Do i have to have 6 of the rasboras? Are they a suitable combination? Any other recommendations? Sorry once again for all of the questions, im sure you get bored of answering stocking questions haha! Thanks for all your help guys.

Firstly, sorry for bumping this thread lol. Erm I went to my lfs yesterday and checked out what they have there. Sadly they don't have any shrimp in stock because they are all open topped tanks. I've decided that i definitely want the ADF's having fallen in love with them at the lfs. I also really like the look of rasboras hengeli too. I'm not sure if i could fit anything else in my 6gal tank and am lead to believe that they would need to be in atleast a group of six. So this is what I am now thinking for my tank:

6 hengeli rasboras
2 african dwarf frogs

Is this too much for my tank or can i get away with more fish in there? Do i have to have 6 of the rasboras? Are they a suitable combination? Any other recommendations? Sorry once again for all of the questions, im sure you get bored of answering stocking questions haha! Thanks for all your help guys.

that's a great stocking plan IMO bc those rasboras get the same size as chilis.

Back
Top Bottom