What do i need to start saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I would like to start a FOWLR tank but I need some information on saltwater and what you need. Also, I am looking at the Red Sea Max 250 aquarium, which is 66 gallons. What could I stock in this tank? I want a goby or gobies and an angelfish if it is possible. I would also like a clownfish. Does anyone have stocking ideas?
These are the fish I definitely want but I have no saltwater experience so please critique it
1x yellow watchman goby
2x cinnamon clownfish or 2x false percula clownfish
Also could I do two gobies two clowns and some sort of angel?What else could I include?

In my 55 gallon:
I have 2 percula clowns
1 firefish
1 six line wrasse only one that swims all through the rock cool to watch
1 yellow watchman and pistol shrimp
I had a starry blenny that was really cool but he died a couple weeks ago.
Cleaner shrimp are cool to watch
I have a purple dotty back also but he likes to chase the six line around. Wish I would have got the royal gramma instead

Good Luck!!

I'm planning on turning my Freshwater tank into a saltwater tank and from my research here is the equipment I'm getting. (my tank is 55 gals)

Marineland emperor 400 hang on back filter

Protein skimmer

2 1400 gph power heads

A lighting system with at least 4 t-5's and 4 led moonlights.

Hang on back refugium (because I want a gold headed sleeper goby)

Saltwater master test kit by API

Refractometer to test water salinity

300 W heater

Thermometer

Aragonite sand. Enough for a sand bed 2-3 inches because I want a gold headed sleeper goby.

20lbs live rock

40lbs base rock

You can decide to use a sump instead of a HOB filter and refugium. It gives you extra water volume and space to put some extra live rock. You can also put your protein skimmer in the sump. Some say its the best way to go. I just don't understand the plumbing and how it works. I will probably upgrade at some point.

Since you don't want corals you don't need as much lighting as I plan on having. My stocking list that I can remember without getting my notebook is:

1- gold headed sleeper goby
1-fire shrimp
1 royal gramma
1-2 false percula clowns
5 orange lined cardinals
Hermit crabs and snails
Lots of corals

I've done alot of research and am starting to make purchases towards my goal. There are so many people on here with alot more experience than me. This is just what I am planning on doing and I think it will work. I hope I've at least given you some things to start researching about. Best of luck to you with your saltwater adventure!

Thanks for the help everyone.I was thinking of this stock list if it's possible-
1x lemon peel angel
1x purple dartfish
1x citrus goby
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x cleaner wrasse
1x arc eye hawkfish
5x carribean blue reef chromis
CLEANUP CREW
1x blue lincka starfish
5x giant nassairus snail
12x blue leg hermit crab
1x bumblebee shrimp
5x nerite snail
5x cerith snail
2x margarita snail
2x cleaner shrimp
1x sand sifter starfish
12x red leg hermit crab
1x peppermint shrimp
3x tiger sand conch
2x turbo snail
Any stocking suggestions or cuc suggestions?
Please help!

Oh, I am most likely getting a rodi unit and an extra filter for the tank. I'll be arranging the rock into two piles with an arch in between. I'll definitely look at everything you guys gave me to reasearch. Thanks again!!

Hang on back refugium (because I want a gold headed sleeper goby)

Aragonite sand. Enough for a sand bed 2-3 inches because I want a gold headed sleeper goby.

Why do you need the sand bed that deep and a refugium for the goby? The above post was supposed to be a quote

emerald76 said:
Thanks for the help everyone.I was thinking of this stock list if it's possible-
1x lemon peel angel
1x purple dartfish
1x citrus goby
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x red scooter blenny
1x cleaner wrasse
1x arc eye hawkfish
CLEANUP CREW
1x blue lincka starfish
5x giant nassairus snail
12x blue leg hermit crab
1x bumblebee shrimp
1x arrow crab
5x nerite snail
5x cerith snail
2x margarita snail
2x cleaner shrimp
1x sand sifter starfish
12x red leg hermit crab
1x coral banded shrimp
1x peppermint shrimp
3x tiger sand conch
2x turbo snail
Please help!

The lemon peel will pick at corals
The starfish need an established sand bed or they will starve
The arrow crab is also a coral picker
The conchs are substrate feeders, they need an established sand bed as well as they eat detritus. It might be okay with some feeding.
Hawk fish jump, need a very tight fitting lid

Other than that, looks good.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I will be doing fowlr and if I ever change to reef I'll test the citrus goby and arrow crab with a cheap coral first, and if they kill it I'll rehome them.

Oh and I won't add the starfish for several months after I get the tank set up

Oh, caught that you have a scooter in the list, they can be very difficult to feed sometimes as they eat pods like mandarins do. I trained mine in about a month to eat frozen food but it took a lot of dedication and time. They also need very frequent feedings which can cause water parameter issues, I know this first hand. LOL My nitrates are always super high in that tank no matter what I do.

Hmm that's a tough one. Are you looking for another bottom dweller other than the yellow watchman goby? You could instead of the YWG get a shrimp goby like a pink spotted, they get bigger and would probably fit your size tank better. I have both a pink spotted and a yellow watchman and the YWG is quite small actually, he is in a biocube now. The shrimp goby I have in my 125g and he seems to fit that tank better.

If you want some mid water active fish maybe some chromis? I have blue reef chromis and they are awesome, they are always schooling together. :)

Just a matter of what you like is all. Any other fish you might have your eye on?

emerald76 said:
1x lemon peel angel
1x purple dartfish
1x citrus goby
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x cleaner wrasse
1x arc eye hawkfish
CLEANUP CREW
1x blue lincka starfish
5x giant nassairus snail
12x blue leg hermit crab
1x bumblebee shrimp
1x arrow crab
5x nerite snail
5x cerith snail
2x margarita snail
2x cleaner shrimp
1x sand sifter starfish
12x red leg hermit crab
1x coral banded shrimp
1x peppermint shrimp
3x tiger sand conch
2x turbo snail
Please help!

This is my stock list minus the scooter blenny
I'd like some more mid water swimmers I already include chromis
I might just get a larger tank like a 75 instead of the 1700$ red sea max because it is so expensive

No coral banded or arrow crab. They will most likely fight an kill all your other friendly inverts. Also the lemonpeel angel is probably going to nip corals

It is going to be FOWLR
Okay, no coral banded or arrow crab

Back
Top Bottom